Documentary Photography Opportunity...

Which of these lenses would you choose?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if you were only allowed to shoot with only one lens, which lens would you choose?

Ok if like that, 24-70 on FX, 17-55 on DX, also bring a close up filter or something.

That is exactly what I m using with my D700 :)
About 80% of the time it's the 35mm! Really, I wouldn't need anything else except maybe a spare body.

But that's for me - you will have to ultimately make your own choices as your back allows. Remember that the more you carry, the more time you will spend thinking what to use rather than thinking about the picture and the story you are trying to tell.

Can't believe you.

Took that long to make you convert.

Btw, which 35 are you using?

can be less specific or not?

if normal coverage, i would bring the regular zooms 14-24 and 24-70 for a D700, and a D300 with a 70-200... SB-800s as well. also, the 50f1.4 is always a welcomed addition to any cameraman's bag.

but for special purposes, you may need anything from a micro lens to a back breaking super tele. a couple of versitile lenses to consider could be the 105micro and the 200-400 or 300f2.8 with a 1.7x TC... don't forget the tripod, spare batts, CF cards, etc.

Btw, that was on my first option exactly.

But then hor, there is always a weight issue. That is why I am asking for opinions.

Btw, that was on my first option exactly.

But then hor, there is always a weight issue. That is why I am asking for opinions.

Actually, since you already get to travel to such locations and enjoy the art of photography there with so many like minded ppl, I would encourage you to bring more of the focal lengths that you are comfortable with, regardless of the weight.

Its far better than standing there and trying to kick yourself for not bring the lens due to weight! I am sure you are fit enough, if not the adrenaline may help carry the weight! ;)

from the list above, i wish to have 17-55 f2.8 to replace my tammy..make a wish...make a wish!!

Actually, since you already get to travel to such locations and enjoy the art of photography there with so many like minded ppl, I would encourage you to bring more of the focal lengths that you are comfortable with, regardless of the weight.

Its far better than standing there and trying to kick yourself for not bring the lens due to weight! I am sure you are fit enough, if not the adrenaline may help carry the weight! ;)

Btw, this isn't a leisure travel photography trip. This is a documentary trip with a purpose to tell a story. So lenses are important to tell the story.

Last year, the class went to India and someone brought a 400/2.8L IS USM to shoot horse racing as that was a story idea and it fit the culture and people of India. In Chile, fisheyes and long lenses such as a 400/2.8 might be required if you want to shoot skateboarding and surfing.

Last edited:
Can't believe you.

Took that long to make you convert.

Btw, which 35 are you using?

I am using the "cheap" 35 f2 afd.... It actually focuses quieter than it's canon counterpart. I'm looking for a 35 f1.4 ais, while waiting to see if we can get a updated afs version.

Well, converted only cos of the d700! I waited very long for a pro spec dslr from canon that is "small" aka a digital 1v. But it seems the digital f100 / f6 came along first :)

Btw I realised the nikon community is very zoom centred and flash oriented - this is probably due to the fact nikon for a long time has no high iso capable cameras plus the fact they decide to focus on selling a whole phlethora of dx zooms and the cls system. The Photographers nikon exhibits on their website is mostly of the strobe / lighting / zooms pedigree while if u check out Canon's websites, the Photographers represented are more of the available light / prime lenses variety.

All the best for your trip. It sounds exciting. My advice to you is still the same :) 2 bodies, 24, 35, 50 and maybe a 85 or 105. The greatest documentary photographer, IMHO is salgado and he only uses 28, 35 and a 60 macro with his R system!

Last edited:
I am using the "cheap" 35 f2 afd.... It actually focuses quieter than it's canon counterpart. I'm looking for a 35 f1.4 ais, while waiting to see if we can get a updated afs version.

Well, converted only cos of the d700! I waited very long for a pro spec dslr from canon that is "small" aka a digital 1v. But it seems the digital f100 / f6 came along first :)

Btw I realised the nikon community is very zoom centred and flash oriented - this is probably due to the fact nikon for a long time has no high iso capable cameras plus the fact they decide to focus on selling a whole phlethora of dx zooms and the cls system. The Photographers nikon exhibits on their website is mostly of the strobe / lighting / zooms pedigree while if u check out Canon's websites, the Photographers represented are more of the available light / prime lenses variety.

All the best for your trip. It sounds exciting. My advice to you is still the same :) 2 bodies, 24, 35, 50 and maybe a 85 or 105. The greatest documentary photographer, IMHO is salgado and he only uses 28, 35 and a 60 macro with his R system!

Exactly right. That is why I am thinking of just my 17-35, 50 and 2 105s. One for macro and the other for portraits.

I also intend to go and see Sebastiao's Africa gallery in Santa Monica soon.

Thanks also on the 35 as that is in my consideration.

Oh if you're looking for the AIS one, you could find one on ebay. You could ship the lens to me and I'll deliver it to you by hand in Dec when I come back for Christmas.

If given a chance to really go to a foreign country like Peru or Chile in South America and you're asked to photograph a documentary (which can be anything)....

Which camera and what lenses would you bring?

I would also like to know reasons why for your selections.

Whoa!! All switched over? I using both :)

Exactly right. That is why I am thinking of just my 17-35, 50 and 2 105s. One for macro and the other for portraits.

I also intend to go and see Sebastiao's Africa gallery in Santa Monica soon.

Thanks also on the 35 as that is in my consideration.

Oh if you're looking for the AIS one, you could find one on ebay. You could ship the lens to me and I'll deliver it to you by hand in Dec when I come back for Christmas.

Ok :) I m checking out the zf 35 too - only thing is, it's too big. I wish they had made it smaller and more compact.

don't forget a backup camera body - it can b a small dx body with a different character. I also use a d40x body which is nice, small and most importantly, has a quiet shutter. The loud shutter of the d700 is the only thing abt it I hate. I find manually focusing afd primes with it acceptable with the rangefinder green dot. Though in good light I use hyperfocus with the crude dof scale on those lenses. Great street camera!

My choice will be

17-55 on D300
85 1.4 on D700

:)

D3, 5DII and 1Ds III. The reason for Nikon was because of the 14-24 f2.8. All else, its still Canon especially for the TS-E lenses.:)

agape01, apologies for OT.:sweat:

No problem because I will OT myself.

Dude... you just need to sell both of them and buy a D3x and just get all the TSE from nikon.

Or sell both of them and buy the Horseman LD and buy one lens that you can shoot archi on.

D3, 5DII and 1Ds III. The reason for Nikon was because of the 14-24 f2.8. All else, its still Canon especially for the TS-E lenses.:)

agape01, apologies for OT.:sweat:

One more thing kit....

If you bought the D3 just to use the 14-24, you just wasted your money.

I'm sure that you know that this does exist...

http://www.16-9.net/nikon_g/

No problem because I will OT myself.

Dude... you just need to sell both of them and buy a D3x and just get all the TSE from nikon.

Or sell both of them and buy the Horseman LD and buy one lens that you can shoot archi on.

Ehh... no need. Waiting for the TS-E 17mm and 24mm mkII.

Status
Not open for further replies.