Do young people really think like that?

House is the only thing I could somewhat agree... as for the rest, kind of depending on your own spending expectation... must you drink at Starbucks or take Taxi ?? The 1st 5yrs of my working life is saving what I can and no overseas holidays.... and yes, (rightly or wrongly) hard to find a local girl when you are in such a budget.

But as for Wedding costing tens of thousands... I totally disagree. I did mine early this year, ROM/Wedding under $3k... and that includes the wedding ring for both of us, clothings, simple flower arrangement, AngPao for JP and members of those who help and a buffet lunch for 50+ guest.

If someone wish to have 'Face' by spending $$$$$.... then Stress would follows....

Last edited:
Reactions: macaroni
House is the only thing I could somewhat agree... as for the rest, kind of depending on your own spending expectation... must you drink at Starbucks or take Taxi ?? The 1st 5yrs of my working life is saving what I can and no overseas holidays.... and yes, (rightly or wrongly) hard to find a local girl when you are in such a budget.

But as for Wedding costing tens of thousands... I totally disagree. I did mine early this year, ROM/Wedding under $3k... and that includes the wedding ring for both of us, clothings, simple lower arrangement, AngPao for JP and members of those who help and a buffet lunch for 50+ guest.

If someone wish to have 'Face' by spending $$$$$.... then Stress would follows....

Wow :thumbsup:

Housing need not be like this but we made it this way. What is wrong to have rental flats or normal HDB flat not at inflated price?

Public transport also too expensive same goes for medical. Food and school fee are reasonable. The new generations are squeezed till they can't breathe. But how else the rich going to make more?

I did mine early this year, ROM/Wedding under $3k... and that includes the wedding ring for both of us, clothings, simple flower arrangement, AngPao for JP and members of those who help and a buffet lunch for 50+ guest.

:thumbsup:
My ring costs about that 6 yrs back.... and I already restrict my guests to relatives only... Must learn how to tighten my belt more.

Who can affrod to get married and buy a house when he is 30 anymore?

We have to wait until 40 or more to be able to do it. :)

Get an overseas bride before they too, also become too expensive ................... :think:.........levy .........

:thumbsup:
My ring costs about that 6 yrs back.... and I already restrict my guests to relatives only... Must learn how to tighten my belt more.

My case....

* Wedding band for both - $800+ (no diamond for me... tiny tiny ones for her)
* Buffet lunch - $1200+ (50+ guest)
* ROM+JP - $20 & $88
* Wedding Photo (on ROM day) - self done and help from friends and relative (free)
* Clothings & Accessories - $250 at the most
* Foral - $200
* Location - $10 (At my Sis Condo muitl purpose hall)

Face... I no need... Debt Free... I need....

My case....

* Wedding band for both - $800+ (no diamond for me... tiny tiny ones for her)
* Buffet lunch - $1200+ (50+ guest)
* ROM+JP - $20 & $88
* Wedding Photo (on ROM day) - self done and help from friends and relative (free)
* Clothings & Accessories - $250 at the most
* Foral - $200
* Location - $10 (At my Sis Condo muitl purpose hall)

Face... I no need... Debt Free... I need....

If one is really too poor to afford a full day wedding event then it seems ok.
But if one can afford but just want to save money then I don't think it is ok because it is a once in a lifetime big day not for one person but a couple and their close family members IMO.

No one can really remember how grand their friends' and relatives' weddings 5 or 10 years later.

and if their marriage won't last, the couple would rather not to remember anything about their wedding.

so after 10-20 years of marriage, come to think of it, anyone have the right mind would rather spend the money on building their marriage than on their wedding ceremony if they can only afford to spend on one item.

If one is really too poor to afford a full day wedding event then it seems ok.
But if one can afford but just want to save money then I don't think it is ok because it is a once in a lifetime big day not for one person but a couple and their close family members IMO.

Sorry... IMHO I have to disagree.

Too many young people nowadays overspent on their wedding... each want to out do the other because media and advertisement keep telling them only with spending lots of money could their wedding be successful and 'special'... and yet people forget its the rest of their life together that will be more important than that one 'special' day...

Even if one has the money... why not spend it on their HDB/Condo ?? Why not save that money for their child to be ?? Even if one don't wish to have babies... why not save that $$$ for a rainy day ??

Look at how many young S'porean KPKB about the cost of Home, Marriage, Babies.... isn't this needing to put on a show for family/relative/friend one of the problem that make union of two souls so $$$$$ in SG ?? :think:

Sorry... IMHO I have to disagree.

Too many young people nowadays overspent on their wedding... each want to out do the other because media and advertisement keep telling them only with spending lots of money could their wedding be successful and 'special'... and yet people forget its the rest of their life together that will be more important than that one 'special' day...

Even if one has the money... why not spend it on their HDB/Condo ?? Why not save that money for their child to be ?? Even if one don't wish to have babies... why not save that $$$ for a rainy day ??

Look at how many young S'porean KPKB about the cost of Home, Marriage, Babies.... isn't this needing to put on a show for family/relative/friend one of the problem that make union of two souls so $$$$$ in SG ?? :think:

I do agree that many overspent and even took loans for it which I think is overstretch to the max and these are obviously the ones that want "Face".
What i meant was spend within means and try to make it as "Grand" as possible not taking into consideration what happens after marriage because those are the things we can't predict. U were asking why not save it for bla bla bla stuffs? Well, these are to each his own.
To me marriage is a once in a lifetime ceremony so I won't mind spending within my means to make it better. Hobbies are stuffs that can be put on hold for later like photography,car,watches...etc But then i have some friends who just like to keep it simple for marriage :)

I do agree that many overspent and even took loans for it which I think is overstretch to the max and these are obviously the ones that want "Face".
What i meant was spend within means and try to make it as "Grand" as possible not taking into consideration what happens after marriage because those are the things we can't predict. U were asking why not save it for bla bla bla stuffs? Well, these are to each his own.
To me marriage is a once in a lifetime ceremony so I won't mind spending within my means to make it better. Hobbies are stuffs that can be put on hold for later like photography,car,watches...etc But then i have some friends who just like to keep it simple for marriage :)

To each his/her own... ;)

But in this modern time and age.... alot of people could have more than one wedding in their lifetime... :bsmilie:

And much like Catchlight said... hardly anyone would remember your wedding beside the fact that both of you are in it after 5yrs... I very much like it simple and easy for everyone involved... but again, that's just me. LOL...

To each his/her own... ;)

But in this modern time and age.... alot of people could have more than one wedding in their lifetime... :bsmilie:

And much like Catchlight said... hardly anyone would remember your wedding beside the fact that both of you are in it after 5yrs... I very much like it simple and easy for everyone involved... but again, that's just me. LOL...

Yes,it seems pretty common to have more than 1 wedding nowadays...So I guess usually the first one is more grand then the rest...lol
And maybe this is the reason people to make remember your wedding after 5 years...haha

But as for Wedding costing tens of thousands... I totally disagree. I did mine early this year, ROM/Wedding under $3k... and that includes the wedding ring for both of us, clothings, simple flower arrangement, AngPao for JP and members of those who help and a buffet lunch for 50+ guest.

Belated Congrats on your marriage. I think you have a very understanding wife and in-laws. :)

http://www.medicaldaily.com/your-en...-could-predict-marriage-ending-divorce-306854

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/07/...-japanese-people-think-marriage-is-pointless/

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/oct/20/young-people-japan-stopped-having-sex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHWUrUox0R4

Here's an alternative look at marriage hehehe....

So your wedding is for the two of you or really, was it all about her and her special day. I have seen my fair share of very loving couples.. but I have also seen those that become nightmare amd a few that ended up repaying bank loans for a wedding that took years to pay back for a "face enhancing or saving wedding" with at least one i know was stuck with the repayment loan for the wedding after the divorce came into play 2 years later.

Marry for all the right reasons and with the right person can save yo a lot of heartache later.

Ok yes.. a bit of a downer here heheheh but some cold water rationale is always good reminder.

Last edited:
I think the mindset these days to throw a banquet is that surely can "make back". I cannot and still don't, why do the bride and groom insist on their guests putting their names on the Ang Paos? I always hear e same old story about 'returning' the favor. O come'on...seriously???

I think the mindset these days to throw a banquet is that surely can "make back". I cannot and still don't, why do the bride and groom insist on their guests putting their names on the Ang Paos? I always hear e same old story about 'returning' the favor. O come'on...seriously???

so that nobody will dare to put $50.00 into the hong pao with their name written on it, else the bride will query them in their facebook timeline,
"is it my wedding banquet is not up to your expectation? and than why are you only giving $50 hong pao? do you know the standard hong pao rate of the XXX hotel is $XXX.00? how to you expect us to recover our wedding banquet expenses....... blar blar blar"

anyway, I have heard stories like couples want to maximize their "receiving" from wedding banquet, only invite working adults, no teens or children and retiree are invited, or push them to their parents invitation list.
to the extend of asking their friends only give wedding gifts instead of hong paos, so their parents will have to top up cash for the shortfall of banquet expenses. Very smart right??