Do you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
Grab your camera even it is some distance away from you if your company happen to be on fire? Or you bochap, run for life first?

I happen to bring my camera for morning sunrise shooting. I work in shift, so, ard 0730, the sun was nice and soft sometime. It happens yesterday and I got hold of some photos.

Nevermind that, I work in pair and my sup was on time off yesterday. Ard 1845, fire bell sounded. Since my company fire bell does testing sometime, I ignore it. My camera was on the table that time, with the external flash mounted. I thought it is just another bell testing and ignore it.

About 2 to 3 mins later, PA system announce that it is a real fire :bigeyes: Left me inside the room and another guy inside the server room. One thing for sure, I am not sure where did the fire come from. 5 storey and no clue at all. I still take my time, keep the camera, bring my handphone along.

While downstair, there aren't any smoke but still got some ppl. When the fire engine came, we thought it is going to be a BIG fire and I thinking in my heart, why I didn't bring my camera? :( Esp with 5 BIG fire engine, 3 small one comes. I thought, wow, should have brought the camera since so many fire engine been seen in my life. (Btw, est figure but roughly there)

In the end, there aren't any fire maybe due to the auto extinguish(right spelling?) inside that room and the fireman pack up and go home (Situation look like those in SimCity4, :bsmilie: ) Not much action else I will be crying home as without taken some first hand photo.

Anyway, I think that if I bring my camera down, I might not able to type this long msg as I might be in the hospital if that happens to be a BIG fire. But if I brought along and survive and got some nice photo if BIG fire, I am famous :bsmilie: So, would you care for your life or your camera first? :think:

BBTM said:
.......Anyway, I think that if I bring my camera down, I might not able to type this long msg as I might be in the hospital if that happens to be a BIG fire. But if I brought along and survive and got some nice photo if BIG fire, I am famous :bsmilie: So, would you care for your life or your camera first? :think:

Why such a difficult choice between being roasted and camera?

How long have we got to decide before the fire comes to turn us into human Satay?

this situation has been discussed b4.

the best way out is to run and shoot at the same time.

the time you take retrieving your camera could be better spent helping someone else get out safely, or warning others about the fire.

No sight and smell of smoke/fire. Therefore, I didn't panic. Still got time to think whether to bring the camera down too. ;p As long don't panic, you can get to safety easily.

Run 1st lah. Life is more important. :bigeyes:

renegade said:
Well at least you don't see headlines like "Grilled man with camera in hand"
:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie:

zaren said:
the time you take retrieving your camera could be better spent helping someone else get out safely, or warning others about the fire.
i agree. pictures ain't everything but if i can't help out at all, then taking pictures will come into play. :)

my humble 2 cents: i think it all comes back to what kind of photographer you want to be. if you are a hardcore photojournalist then the 1st thing to do was to grab your camera and start taking pictures. even if it does make you a human satay with a DSLR in hand. I think Jim Nachtwey, John Hoagland, and the CNN, BBC , Reuters, AP, etc kind of fall in this category.

if you want to be regular human where photography is number 4-5 on your life's priority list, then what you did is absolutely normal and acceptable. (I think this would make a good poll, how high is photography on your life's priorities?
1. higher than life itself (die trying),
2. same as life (wont die taking pics, but get seriously injured ok)
3. lower than life ( can always get another camera, no injury/life is worth a photo)
4. camera? what camera ?
)

just MHO ...
cheers

Drudkh said:
i agree. pictures ain't everything but if i can't help out at all, then taking pictures will come into play. :)

yah... although pics are not everything, but if u managed to survive and to capture the process and everything... and its so dramatic..

u might be able to produce amazing pics like those from NGC taking in the front lines !! :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.