Do you welcome encouraging comments?

Status
Not open for further replies.

xmen2003

Mar 23, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Comments like "nice", "great", "excellent" or simply :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ?

Personally I don't feel there is any problem with it as long as you give it impartially and not because the poster is your friend. This is definitely better than viewing, liking it and simply close it.

I know some are strongly against such comments and have to certain extent influence others not to post anything unless it is constructive. This is probably one reason behind the decline of critiques in the photo gallery section.

Frankly I don't see anything wrong in saying "Nice" or "Great Shots" or "I like it". Does every comment about a photo should be technical? Some photos you just like. Also some people may not be expert enough to give feedback on the technical aspect of the photo.

same here. sometimes i just don't know what to say except 'great shot!' etc.

it's good to sometimes see negative comments too, but for those, it will be better to have some constructive comments. that way, it will be good not only for the person who took the shot, but also for others who are viewing it. i have heard from someone who told me 'actually i think that photo of yours is "not nice" but i just didn't want to say it out' ... :dunno: why? :sweat:

yea... at the end of the day, simple comment is better than no comment. Not everyone can dissect photos, and those who can probably have no time to.

I'm always shooting for myself, so even if i get no comments, no biggy. I am my biggest critic afterall.

xmen2003 said:
Comments like "nice", "great", "excellent" or simply :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ?

Personally I don't feel there is any problem with it as long as you give it impartially and not because the poster is your friend. This is definitely better than viewing, liking it and simply close it.

I know some are strongly against such comments and have to certain extent influence others not to post anything unless it is constructive. This is probably one reason behind the decline of critiques in the photo gallery section.

Agree... agree...

i'd think any constructiove comment is welcomed ... and well .. even 'nice-shot' or well done ... or i like your photo is constructive ... cos th photograher gets an idea of what type of shots are better/more well liked than others ... of course breaking it down and analysing it and giving really constructive comments are really good ... but for me .. all comments are welcomed

What can I say ?
"That is the nicest, greatest, most excellent photo :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: "

Or simply show my Acknowledgement of the time, effort and tallent taken.
In a simple gesture.

Its better than some who-thought-they-are-expert-irritating people who just give very insulting stupid comment like," this is the worst photo i ever seen" etc w/o anything else... :sticktong

xmen2003 said:
Those who insist that such comments are useless.

i suppose there are two main schools of thought;

a) "throw 'em into the deep end and let 'em struggle"
i.e. be absolutely brutally honest (and sometimes even insulting) so that the photog will be toughened up and hopefully improve by leaps and bounds.

b) "be diplomatic, polite and encouraging". the photog may not improve as quickly, but neither will he/she lose interest in photography as a result of a mauling session.

can there be a best of both worlds? :think:

positive comments can also serve to motivate and encourage a person to keep shooting.

think how damaging to a person's morale if he tries hard, happily posts a picture, only to be put down.

a simple comment of nice shot can make the guy go out and shoot more.

foxtwo said:
yea... at the end of the day, simple comment is better than no comment. Not everyone can dissect photos, and those who can probably have no time to.

I'm always shooting for myself, so even if i get no comments, no biggy. I am my biggest critic afterall.

I share the same sentimental as you .. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.