do you use raw or jpg when you generate hdr?

sfoto100

Nov 29, 2009
hi

do you use raw or jpg when you generate hdr?

any advantages to using raw?

JPEG. Since you're bracketing with such a large number of images, your tonal range is maintained. The usefulness of RAW is not evident.

raw of course. You get more dynamic range that way ;)

Do you really make use of that dynamic range?
Let's say 10 shots (bracketed) with 0.3 EV increments JPEG and RAW. Is the extra dynamic range even needed?

depends on the situation, if i have a constantly moving scene, i would prefer to take one to 3 Raws. If i have a relatively still scene, i usually shoot jpeg.

when i use photomatix to import the raw, it will convert the raw... i guess it must have convert them to jpeg... hence i ask this question here...

i find the conversion took up alot of time, and the result does not seems to be greater when i just use jpeg...

btw when you combine several shots in hdr, it seems to generate alot of noise... is this normal?

my hdr photo cannot be viewed at 100%... it look awful...

is this normal?

Here my 2 cents worth on photomatix. Noise after generating HDR is due to a lot of reasons.

it depend a lot on:
the iso setting (I usually use iso100 - 200) when taking the 3 exposure.
When processing HDR. remember to check the "reduce noise" box
the setting of the tone mapping in photomatix.
in the detail enhancer column, do not be too aggresive on the strength control. setting to 100 will create a lot of noise... keep to 60-75.
Smoothing section also keep to mid to max. Otherwise halo effect will also create a lot no noise.
In Misc Settings, Boost the Micro-smoothing to help reduce noise.

Last but not least, need to use photoshop to touch up a bit on noise reduction.

Here my 2 cents worth on photomatix. Noise after generating HDR is due to a lot of reasons.

it depend a lot on:
the iso setting (I usually use iso100 - 200) when taking the 3 exposure.
When processing HDR. remember to check the "reduce noise" box
the setting of the tone mapping in photomatix.
in the detail enhancer column, do not be too aggresive on the strength control. setting to 100 will create a lot of noise... keep to 60-75.
Smoothing section also keep to mid to max. Otherwise halo effect will also create a lot no noise.
In Misc Settings, Boost the Micro-smoothing to help reduce noise.

Last but not least, need to use photoshop to touch up a bit on noise reduction.

ok i will try.

so far all my shots for hdr is iso100. but i didn't really understand what those settings are for, so i just tune them until i like what i see.

but it seems all hdr will contain noise and cannot be displayed 100%, am i right?