Do you use Manual Focus or Auto Focus

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovJoe

Feb 15, 2009
~Sunny Little Island~
Dear CSnappers,

I have been wondering for quite a lot time if most photographers prefer AF or MF when capturing the moment.

You can list what kind of genre you are taking and whether it is MF or AF in preference for you.

For me, I prefer manual focus as I can really make sure that I capture the spot I want. I find that AF tracking really waste quite alot of time, especially for macros and potraits, and it is not spot on all the time.

Macro shots: MF
Portraits: MF
Landscape: MF

Hope to see some inputs from everyone here.

Btw, this is a public poll ;).

Last edited:
All my cameras are mechanical so.. MF hahah!

Usually AF, MF when necessary.

Oh, I can actually Manual Focus? :bigeyes:

Dear CSnappers,

I have been wondering for quite a lot time if most photographers prefer AF or MF when capturing the moment.

You can list what kind of genre you are taking and whether it is MF or AF in preference for you.

For me, I prefer manual focus as I can really make sure that I capture the spot I want. I find that AF tracking really waste quite alot of time, especially for macros and potraits, and it is not spot on all the time.

Macro shots: MF
Portraits: MF
Landscape: MF

Hope to see some inputs from everyone here.

Btw, this is a public poll ;).

Interesting... you actually MF for everything.

Under good light, AF seems to be much more convenient/faster to untrained people like me I guess. I tend to do about a bit more MF hunting than the AF does because it's more difficult for me to see if it's precisely focused during MF.

Another thing is I'm using some cheapo lens and the manual focus isn't that smooth/precise so I get better/faster results using AF.

Not really macro: MF
Landscape: AF
Portraits: AF, rarely MF
Street: AF

I tend to use more AF for me. Unless, like others have stated, under low lighting conditions where camera has to hunt for focus.

I use MF when shooting landscapes & Macro shots too.

So far I find that my cam's AF is quite accurate, so I tend to use AF more unless shooting Macro or when my cam is having difficulty in AF.

Interesting... you actually MF for everything.

Under good light, AF seems to be much more convenient/faster to untrained people like me I guess. I tend to do about a bit more MF hunting than the AF does because it's more difficult for me to see if it's precisely focused during MF.

Another thing is I'm using some cheapo lens and the manual focus isn't that smooth/precise so I get better/faster results using AF.

Not really macro: MF
Landscape: AF
Portraits: AF, rarely MF
Street: AF

:bsmilie: I think I'm too used to using MF since I started with old SLRs which my cousin owns. Hard to kick the habit. I did try to use AF on sports and stuffs but I only shoot these once in a blue moon. :embrass:

AF is there to help and assist. Also, AF lenses tend to have a very short way (about 45 degrees) from MFD to infinity, not easy to really hit the point. Some MF lenses have 270 degrees for the same range, making it very easy to focus exactly.
I tend to trust AF when it's available (lens, light) and I use MF for MF lenses with AF confirmation chip.

For moving objects(3D Tracking) and Sport Photography, I use AF. For Macro, Landscape, Night Shots, I use MF. Sometimes I set it in AF first then i switch to MF to enhance the focus.

Thanks. This is my first post to this forum.

My cameras are all mechnical with slight electronics integration, so am shooting everything on manual focus.

I use aperture priority most of the times & manual shutter sometimes.

I do make use alot of zone focusing & hyperfocusing everytime I shoot, very useful technique that is faster than AF.

Mf for my Mf lenses or when af is unreliable in circumstances like low lights or macro... Else why not use af when af is fast and accurate (unless somehow u r conserving battery juice)

Ryan

AF - 85%
MF - 15% (when AF fails or just need that xtra fine tuning!) :)

I use manual focus when:

1. Subject is dark and at a distant

2. Contrast between subject and background is poor

3. Shooting thru glass

4. Subject is moving quickly

5. Shooting shiny surface.

honestly, i don't care... i've seen horrible works from MF and horrible works from AF.

its just a means to an end.

composition and exposure are more important considerations.

I cannot trust my eyes - astigmatism, probably going bifocal soon also LOL so 100% AF.

MF all the way, from streets to sports. The only AF lens in my dry cabinet is the Sigma 10-20, which I hyperfocus manually anyway. Sure I miss a lot of shots, but I feel great if the few results turn out great. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.