Do you turn off your camera while changing lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Care to explain the risk? If there is any I'm quite sure the lawyers of Canon USA had demanded for pages of disclaimers and warning messages ...

Like what I have said, there are electrical contacts on the lenses and flashes which may cause accidental short circuits. When I purchased my flash, the shopkeeper also told me to off both flash and camera before mounting/unmounting. To do things the proper way, I will think it's best to switch off.

Even if someone tells me that it's okie to change lens or flash with the camera on, I guess I will never try it myself (or even suggest/encourage others to try) as I dont know when I will be down on my luck..

For almost a decade, I've never turned off my camera(s) when mounting lens/flashes... I even turn on my flash before mounting sometimes, maybe I've been lucky the past decade or so, but there's no harm turning it off first if it makes you feel better, after all, it's your camera.

If you are using Sigma 150-500mm, you must switch off the camera and OS before mounting the lens. If not will risk damaging the OS mechanism. The lens manual explicitly mention the warning.

There were multiple (in webs) reports on OS failing after using it for sometime. My guess is they did not follow the instruction.

Hi

I think the same applies to Nikon's VR. The instructions state that the camera should be on "off" when loading unloading a VR lens. Its not too much of a bother, but occasionally one can forget.

Status
Not open for further replies.