Do you trust students?

Status
Not open for further replies.

windwaver

May 19, 2007
Europa
windwaver.tripod.com
Many a time, I'll encounter students asking for special prices when I'm selling my stuff but I have my doubts.

1) Parent ask children to buy for them at cheap price
2) Freaking rich parents
3) Students buying low then re-sell at higher price

Just want to have a show of hands if people in here really trust students or children asking for lower prices. I'm not saying everybody's like that but there're chances :)

Well, i could have agree with you.

but, me as a student, i keep to my budget and buy what ever i have with my money.
or save till i have enough for the equipment.

but HOWEVER, some people smart, buy cheap and sell for higher price as you mention.:bsmilie:

Umm... can students answer? Hehh..

To me, I really think that on the internet, there is no differentiation between the young and old. On clubsnap, age doesn't count, does it? We're just but one member of a whole community.

With that out of the way, I don't think that there should be any differentiation where money is being dealt, especially if it's on photography equipment. There isn't any "kids-only lenses" now is there? No, so if kids are asking for a lower price just because they're kids, they should learn to grow up.

#3 is a situation you see in grownups as well. The phrase "willing buyer, willing seller" comes into play here. Isn't it the same for many mass orders? MO-starters used to buy from HK and then sell in Singapore for a small profit. Nothing's wrong here.

when i was new to clubsnap, i was looking for a 2nd hand dslr to buy. i found one in buy sell forum and the price stated there was an average one that i was prepared to pay for. so after school, i went to view the camera and had pretty much made up my mind to buy it. suddenly, the seller just gave me a price cut of about a few hundred bucks. really unexpected, and very kind of him.:)

so i think sellers should be firm on their pricing. but on meeting up, if you personally find that the young buyer is a geninue party, you can always make a last minute price cut for them like in my case(i was actually already mentally prepared for the full amount:bsmilie:).

when i was new to clubsnap, i was looking for a 2nd hand dslr to buy. i found one in buy sell forum and the price stated there was an average one that i was prepared to pay for. so after school, i went to view the camera and had pretty much made up my mind to buy it. suddenly, the seller just gave me a price cut of about a few hundred bucks. really unexpected, and very kind of him.:)

so i think sellers should be firm on their pricing. but on meeting up, if you personally find that the young buyer is a geninue party, you can always make a last minute price cut for them like in my case(i was actually already mentally prepared for the full amount:bsmilie:).

What happens if "the student" turning up is 40 year old and dressed in school uniform? :bsmilie:

What happens if "the student" turning up is 40 year old and dressed in school uniform? :bsmilie:

then sell him your camera cheap cheap, and say you got some school uniforms and ask him if he's interested. then gain profits from those sales, like how some school girls in ebay do.;)

ID please? :bsmilie:

i could pass off as a student after i've been out so long. i thinknow go watch R(A) will oso kenna stop by usher. cannot grow up arh... :bsmilie:

I once lent out a camera to a student who was with her mother, who had to do a project. They were at a local camera shop, and were looking for info on manual cameras.

Since it was a one time project I volunteered to lent out one of my Nikon FE cameras..........

Sofar, I have not seen it back! :bsmilie:

But she was a real student!

HS

I once lent out a camera to a student who was with her mother, who had to do a project. They were at a local camera shop, and were looking for info on manual cameras.

Since it was a one time project I volunteered to lent out one of my Nikon FE cameras..........

Sofar, I have not seen it back! :bsmilie:

But she was a real student!

HS

So you haven't learned anything from her? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

There are many 50 something "female students" in our cooking class in the community center.

They sure like to deal with you. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
I prefer senior citizens. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Take a look at the B&S section, you will notice there are the same students, around 13 - 14+ yrs old keep buying and selling items ranging a few hundreds to few thousands dollars every three to four days.

They could well be a front for some adults in trading or they are just damn rich. Therefore no different in pricing.

from school of hard knocks? :kok:

cannot discriminate wan, students oso must be charged full price. this is a photographic forum, not some charity organisation giving out rations.

i think some parents here oso give too good "toys" to their kids at tender age.

12 year old & below, PnS digital,
16 year old den can own (biginner) DSLR with kit lense,
18 year old den got additional lenses & flash! :bsmilie:

some things got headstart is not a good thing.

i never really had problems with plpe haggling (students or otherwise).. cos i dun have time to deal with that.

and i'm never in a rush to sell my stuff.. so i just wait till the right no-nonsense buyer comes along. it's usually all good.

i think the key is patience. i've taken 6 months to sell a lens b4. in the meantime it just sits in the dry cabinet lor... :)

i'm a student but i never ask for special prices :nono: If I can't afford it I won't bother bidding

of course, getting a special price would be nice :bsmilie:

:think: adult sell things to student at special(lower than normal) price, so can a student sell things to an adult at special(higher than normal) price also? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.