Do you tink i can get A40 cheaper in HK?

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

umi63

As Above.

If u go for the parallel imports (legal), probably cheaper. Else it will be still cheaper but not by a lot, not worth it as u cannot return it or get warranty.

any other comments?

Originally posted by umi63
any other comments?
my experience in shoping for electronics in HK(which is where I came from) is that it is only worth it if you buy those product that is not(or not yet) available in Singapore. for those product that is already selling here, the price is alittle cheaper but the warranty issue comes in. I realise that some products, like MD/CD/DVD players, sometimes the products are available in HK for like 0.5-1 year before you can find in the stores here. if you want to get Japan domestic model(only sell within Japan) of some products, you can find them in HK also but not in Singapore.

If you're lucky and have the know-hows, you can find what they call shui3 huo4, literally 'water goods' cos it's smuggled into HK.

Of course, you don't get things like warranty. But hey, I've had 3 two bodies, 3 lenses, a flash and a cable release for a few years now and I've never used my warranty card.

It's basically your call if you want to spend (up to) a few hundred SGD less for lack of warranty.

Originally posted by rayman
If you're lucky and have the know-hows, you can find what they call shui3 huo4, literally 'water goods' cos it's smuggled into HK.

Of course, you don't get things like warranty. But hey, I've had 3 two bodies, 3 lenses, a flash and a cable release for a few years now and I've never used my warranty card.

It's basically your call if you want to spend (up to) a few hundred SGD less for lack of warranty.

that's parrallel imports. Its not smuggled in, its legal... HK is a free market/economy, which means not only Sony HK LTD can import their stuff, anyone also can. These big shops import it from japan cos its cheaper, its realeased quicker and most of the time its not available outside japan.

I had fair bit of "shui foh" myself from HK.. since I know the shop quite well they provide 1 year warranty for me. Just don't buy from a shop that looks like its closing down in few months time :)

Hi TsQ,

I not very sure on the parallel import part but you can actually find smuggled goods for sale in HK. You can usually tell when there is only 1 or 2 pieces for sale ie your friend want to buy also but cannot even if he's there with you cos only 1 piece for sale. And the prices are ridiculously lower than the RRP, usually less than 1/2. You can only find it if you have the contacts cos they don't sell it openly. And yeah, the ones I'm referring to are illegal, not parallel.

I have a friend who bought an MD player in HK for <S$250. Sing's RRP was about S$600. That's the difference.

Hi TsQ,

I have a friend who bought an MD player in HK for <S$250. Sing's RRP was about S$600. That's the difference.

Hmmm........interesting. Before I got my Sony MZR-900, I went to HK and shopped around. The best price I got there was still about $80 more expensive than what I eventually paid for in Singapore.

Hi TsQ,

I not very sure on the parallel import part but you can actually find smuggled goods for sale in HK. You can usually tell when there is only 1 or 2 pieces for sale ie your friend want to buy also but cannot even if he's there with you cos only 1 piece for sale. And the prices are ridiculously lower than the RRP, usually less than 1/2. You can only find it if you have the contacts cos they don't sell it openly. And yeah, the ones I'm referring to are illegal, not parallel.

yah then those are probably illegal.. i never got such contacts. Maybe its stolen goods? as far as i know, the custom there do not stop anyone from bringing most electronic goods, there's no IDA approval sort of thing. Also there is not tax on impose on electronic goods, so why would anyone smuggle it in?

Status
Not open for further replies.