Do you think Tripods are overpriced?

Do you think Tripods are overpriced?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yildun

Aug 2, 2004
Singapore, Central
Yes, I agree that a tripod is an integral part of photography, but are good tripods really worth that much? When is a tripod too good?

An item is never over priced as long as there's still somebody willing and able to buy that item. :D

But I agree that for a few tubes of metal and a few knobs, tripods can be pretty expensive.

There are the cheap ones and the not so cheap ones.

You can tell the difference when you use it.

I used both types.

Broke the cheap one when the legs snapped.

The not so cheap one is doing its job and its doing the job very very well.

I guess its more or less the engineering and the workmanship of the tripod. So what you pay for is what you'll get.

Too bad money doesn't grow off trees. Sigh.. :(

It is the cheapest way to improve composition and focus on photos, the monetary cost is low. The pain of carrying it around though...

You pay for what you get. What i can say is, good tripods arent cheap and cheap tripod arent all that good .

:)

bigfatfish said:
You pay for what you get. What i can say is, good tripods arent cheap and cheap tripod arent all that good .

:)

Well, I'm sure there are cheap and good tripods as well as expensive and not-so-good tripods, and some cheaper ones may even outperform the latter. :D

As long as people are happy and willing to pay for it, it is not over price.
You pay for what you get.

Yildun said:
Well, I'm sure there are cheap and good tripods as well as expensive and not-so-good tripods, and some cheaper ones may even outperform the latter. :D

Yes, Sometimes, when one didnt do enough homework before buying, one might be stuck with an expensive and not so good tripod. :)

start with an old, cheap, 2nd hand one till you know what you want or need, then you wont end up buying something too fancy at the start.

Tripods ARE over-priced. And so are cameras, and storage media, films, chemicals, papers, enlargers, and sashimis, starbuck, BMWs, Condos, etc etc.

But I will still pay for the best tripod there is for my camera, irrespectively of the price. Because for the photography I do (even for portrait and holiday shots) I almost never shoot without a tripod. B......t to those who say they ca hand hold at 1/15 and still have a sharp print! Just look at the negative under a loupe, or enlarge the photo, then see if the pictures are sharp. Of course if you are "arty-farty" and consider unsharp phots "art", so be it.

So I shoot with tripods. For sharp pictures. And I use the best for the occasion. Cameras have fallen because of cheap, flimsy tripods. Use the best. It will save you from accident and pain, and give sharper pictures.

Having said that, the late great Galen Rowell used very small flimsy tripods. But he is GALEN ROWELL. And the reasons he used a small tripod is because 1 he was a superb photographer unlike you and me, 2 he climbed mountains to places where you and I only sees in photos. So he needed to travel light.

For most of us "ordinary" folks, use the best, even if it cost you!

Hi,

Is Cathay Photo shop the only place to get a Gitzo G1127 (mk2) tripod? It cost around $600. :bigeyes: Is it overpriced?

i personally feel that it is overpriced too.
three legs and a head cost so much...

some may argue that the price is for paying for the design and workmanship.
but the fact is that there is no way for mess production being expensive. they are not some branded hand-make watches, but produced by aid of machines.

the middle-man "eat" too much in my opinion... :sweat:

IMO,
You can choose a tripod, monetary-wise, you can budget perhaps, in a ratio of 1:5 or 1:10 to your camera and lense?

I see no point in getting a $500 camera + lense, and yet use a $250 branded tripod unless you are always using it in an environment that requires a heavy tripod for stability...

For me, I use a cheap SLIK tripod that costs less than $50. Cause I seldom use it, and at most I put my bag on it for extra stability...

Basically, its more of the user's perception of how sturdy a tripod they feel should be for their camera..

Just do more research and you won't regret your choice...

djchris said:
IMO,
You can choose a tripod, monetary-wise, you can budget perhaps, in a ratio of 1:5 or 1:10 to your camera and lense?

I see no point in getting a $500 camera + lense, and yet use a $250 branded tripod unless you are always using it in an environment that requires a heavy tripod for stability...

For me, I use a cheap SLIK tripod that costs less than $50. Cause I seldom use it, and at most I put my bag on it for extra stability...

Basically, its more of the user's perception of how sturdy a tripod they feel should be for their camera..

Just do more research and you won't regret your choice...
True!

You'd also not want to buy the most expensive camera in the world and see it plummet to the ground because of a $20 tripod you bought at carrefour?

Cheers.

I believe in trying out the tripods (extend fully, pan and tilt the head, etc) before buying them.

I have done my homework and it seems quite hard to find and test the tripods I have in mind. In fact, for most of them, I cannot find in Singapore, so cannot "feel" and compare. Its always those filmsy type that you see in stores everywhere, and even cathy's range is quite limited. Did I miss any good stores?

The search continues.....

student said:
Tripods ARE over-priced. And so are cameras, and storage media, films, chemicals, papers, enlargers, and sashimis, starbuck, BMWs, Condos, etc etc.

But I will still pay for the best tripod there is for my camera, irrespectively of the price. Because for the photography I do (even for portrait and holiday shots) I almost never shoot without a tripod. B......t to those who say they ca hand hold at 1/15 and still have a sharp print! Just look at the negative under a loupe, or enlarge the photo, then see if the pictures are sharp. Of course if you are "arty-farty" and consider unsharp phots "art", so be it.

So I shoot with tripods. For sharp pictures. And I use the best for the occasion. Cameras have fallen because of cheap, flimsy tripods. Use the best. It will save you from accident and pain, and give sharper pictures.

Having said that, the late great Galen Rowell used very small flimsy tripods. But he is GALEN ROWELL. And the reasons he used a small tripod is because 1 he was a superb photographer unlike you and me, 2 he climbed mountains to places where you and I only sees in photos. So he needed to travel light.

For most of us "ordinary" folks, use the best, even if it cost you!

Good for you. Price is always a concern for me, if not the most important concern when I buy a tripod, cos I poor guy :cry: . If I rich I buy boeing 747 convert to air force 1, ferrari, playboy mansion, etc. But I poor so I have to settle for 1:500 boeing model, SBS Mercedes bus, and pb magazines...oops :sweatsm: .

Yildun said:
But I poor so I have to settle for 1:500 boeing model, SBS Mercedes bus, and pb magazines...oops :sweatsm: .

I also so poor that I only have pciture of 1:500 boeing model (photocopied), "student #11 bus" (ha! but gives me strong muscles), and browse photo magazines free in bookstores! Sigh. The sacrifices I make to have a trustworthy tripod! ;)

in my very humble thoughts, YES tripods are pricely, but the heads are a killer!

OT, I think lights are even more expensive!!!

Belle&Sebastain said:
in my very humble thoughts, YES tripods are pricely, but the heads are a killer!

OT, I think lights are even more expensive!!!

Very OT,

But damned, are you right!

Status
Not open for further replies.