Do you think Tripods are overpriced?

Do you think Tripods are overpriced?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
every hobbies can be expensive if you try to make it expensive.

Yes, for a non-electronic device, it IS pretty pricey. I limit myself to $400 for CF tripod with decent ballhead.

I look at it this way.

yes it is a pretty expensive piece of kit if you think of it as just three legs with a protrusion on the top to hold some other piece of kit down.

but... this is how I look at it.

yes it is a pretty expensive piece of kit if I think of it as just three legs with a protrusion on the top to hold some other piece of kit down. except that other kit is my 40D. with an L lens on it. price of that other kit outweighs price of kit holding it down firmly to the ground. therefore, in the grand scheme of things, the tripod isn't expensive since if it fails/breaks/falls/gets destroyed/gets eaten alive/something horrible happens to it due to a potential manufacturing fault, my heart will not cringe over the $600 and above tripod I have, but rather the $4k and above I could have damaged via my camera/lenses/flash/whatever kit that was attached to the camera at the time of the incident.

Yes, of course I know that. But you see, I personally feel that with a budget of $400, it's more than enough to get a reliable support for my gear. Actually, I've been using a $100 fancier tripod for awhile now and it hasn't disappoint me. I'd say, get the right tripod for your gear.

Good tripods last and commands confidence and respect. With say 1.3k, I can get a very decent Gitzo, coupled with a Markins BH. And it should last as long as your photographic career. But think back, this 1.3k can only get you the very most an entry level body and maybe a kit lens or two which I doubt can last a passionate photographer even three years. And you have tried a Gitzo, you know every cent is well-paid - top-notch design, material and manufacturing process. Stop at nothing but the very best.

I have no qualms spending >1k for a tripod system yet I don't feel justified spending >1.5k for a camera body. Lens are another issue altogether though... Ha.

Last edited:
Not just the tripod is overpriced, infact most of the photography items are way overpriced. Tripod is a matured product which exist for ages and there is no rocket science involve in it. Minimal R&D is spent on improving the materials used, the bulk of the profit goes to the manufacturers' pocket for its marketing and branding. Unlike DSLR, the early adoptors pay for the premium, but for photography accessories, the price held on quite well.

If you ever checked for the price of a Nikon flash sync cap, it cost more than $10 for a small piece of round plastic. ::bigeyes: The same goes to the few strands of wire in the flash sync cable.

Photography is never a cheap hobby , make do with what you have and enjoy the shoot. What we can do is to balance our budget and weight the cost vs value of items and let the market force determine its price as there are always ready buyers who are willing to fork out cash for the best photography equipment. Just like in audiophiles, there are people forking out thousands of dollars for a pair of speakers wires.
Well, I wouldn't say tripod is a matured product although the idea of a support with three-legs is an age-long idea. There are a lot of innovations in tripod design and manufacturing. Take my favorite Gitzo example, Carbon 6X (material), G-locks(locking-mechanism), Anti-Leg-Rotation (Deployment ease) are all very innovative stuff you don't see in normal cheaper legs. There is always on-going engineering in making tripods stronger, lighter and ease of deployment.

Last edited:
gitzos (6x) are really sturdy and light. i guess they've premium priced it, but ppl still buy cos no other manufacturer is able to match their ease of use and quality/durability. they have smart user centric designers. perhaps someday the high end made in china ones will be able to match. them. for example, the technological gaps btw gitzo and benro tripods (M8 carbon fibre) are closing, but benro not exactly at gitzo quality and lightweightness yet. but maybe when benro can match gitzo quality the benro prices wld also match gitzo prices haha.

anw the new series benro ballheads (b-0,b-1 etc, j-1 etc), are pretty good i must say. and at very competitive prices. way better than the previous kb series or smth. so tt's an example of closing technological gaps.

anw i still think gitzo tripods are way overpriced. and there's really nothing that can be done to bring the price down as of now.

is the price expensive over in Singapore, or is it expensive regardless of purchase location geographically?

It is expensive regardless of location. A gitzo is still a gitzo. Nothing comes close.

Oh dear, I just blew my budget of $400 on tripod + ballhead combi. Guess am lovin' it though, the Velbon Neo Carmagne 640A Carbon Fibre and Manfrotto 488RC2 (Heavy though) couldn't be any sweeter for the price I paid for. Am even already thinking of getting their line of monopods. The Inner Jut Pipe system in Velbon's twist-lock line of tri/monopod is denfinitely one of the deciding factors for me - Gitzo style. Slik doesn't have this - the brand I contemplated with.

OK OK, fine...you have to spend to get a good tripod. You can't run away from that.

Last edited:
Oh dear, I just blew my budget of $400 on tripod + ballhead combi. Guess am lovin' it though, the Velbon Neo Carmagne 640A Carbon Fibre and Manfrotto 488RC2 (Heavy though) couldn't be any sweeter for the price I paid for. Am even already thinking of getting their line of monopods. The Inner Jut Pipe system in Velbon's twist-lock line of tri/monopod is denfinitely one of the deciding factors for me - Gitzo style. Slik doesn't have this - the brand I contemplated with.

OK OK, fine...you have to spend to get a good tripod. You can't run away from that.
Not really...just have to see what is the tradeoff for the price you are willing to pay and the features you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.