Do you think Singapore will develop a vibrant and viable film industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
maybe if we all realy spend money on the software instead of the hardware...

we will probably own the fastest, most advance equipment, and yet refuse to pay those who do the creative process; we will go no where...

it is time we recognize and pay for talents, instead of saying "for that kind of money I can buy all the equipment and do it myself!"

until this mentality changes...

Singaporeans are too busy earning money to appreciate the finer points of life, like the arts. But that's besides the point...

Film post-processing industry (e.g. CG effects like what NZ's Weta Digital did for LOTR) perhaps, but probably not full-fledge film making in the private sector. To really shoot good films, bring Singaporeans to overseas...Singapore's too small a land mass to do any huge sets.

Hi,
Singapore has no problem becoming a vibrant film industry but at the rate and speed it's going, countries like Thailand, Korea and Taiwan will probably be way ahead of us very soon.

I find it a pity that most Singaporeans still prefer Hollywood action-packed chock-full of CG effects films. Although a lot of independent films like City of God doesn't have any of those, it has a wonderful story, which I feel that is the true essence that makes a good film.

Regards,
-Michelle- :D

Caspere said:
maybe if we all realy spend money on the software instead of the hardware...

we will probably own the fastest, most advance equipment, and yet refuse to pay those who do the creative process; we will go no where...

it is time we recognize and pay for talents, instead of saying "for that kind of money I can buy all the equipment and do it myself!"

until this mentality changes...

That's what my bosses do! Damn them! And when things go wrong(servers not stable, software to software incompatibility & so on...) , they'll push it all to the programmers & us(creative people)to clear the sh*t for them. And this is still going on. Their mentalities is to invest in this items(software & hardware) rather than us(the employees) cause they knew it's replacable at any time. Did they ever think that this new experience employees will still need time to adapt to our working environment, whereas time is still a factor. And promised customers deadline that most of the time we couldn't delivered on time due to technical faults & inexperience employees(the interns). I see a lot of good & experience employees left this company. All I can say is 'what a pity'. Just think about that, if you don't take care of your men well, do you think they will fight the bloody war with you side by side! :think:

As for CG movie industry here(Singapore), I don't think we can make some big local Hoo-Haah with budget like less than 3 or 4 million SD$. :bigeyes: :bsmilie: Just balance between quality & quantity. :sweat:

Lastly, if the top levels do not know what is the real meaning of management for the company, I think it's time for them to leave. Don't you think so? :angry:

Beware! Might be someone I knew is reading this post. :eek:

I think creative people tend to have poor management skills because they live in their own space. Either that, or this industry suffers because the management get where they are solely with their gift of the gab.

Just like the sales people in any industry too. Once they tie down a sales, well man...it's time for rest of you guys to do the job. :thumbsd:

similar with the concerns of people not wanting to pay when it comes to photography. [shaking my head] cheap cheap cheap i say... reflects on them

Status
Not open for further replies.