Do you think photos on the Portraits forum are repetitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't have to go to work?

Which JC U from?

today is working at home la. :) friday mah.

huh?!?! wat happened??? y suddenly become JC talk????

wat does fotography have to do with one being in a JC or not?

clearly, its a warped perception of fotography, yet again!

wait. i say i not from jc liao leh. :sweat:

just got d700 for the weekend. time to go play liao.

how much for d700 now?
oopz ot already.

TS - general portraits will look similar most of the time. its up to the photographer to constantly develop new styles/angles every year to challenge oneself. Probably those who don't post 'exciting' stuff are busy out there shooting, and already know what they are doing right without needing critique. Look at the wedding section more.

how much for d700 now?
oopz ot already.

TS - general portraits will look similar most of the time. its up to the photographer to constantly develop new styles/angles every year to challenge oneself. Probably those who don't post 'exciting' stuff are busy out there shooting, and already know what they are doing right without needing critique. Look at the wedding section more.

sorry abt the ot. demo set for review. i think its like 4500 now? jump ship! :bsmilie:

this thread starting to look like something another famous CSer has said and done b4 :sweat:

yup, its me in front of a AH-64D :bsmilie: I'm from VJC, btw.

well, on the bright side, offending people does scrub away the rust of monotony and get people thinking :think:

Wow smartie!

Year One or Two?

Ah, okay. I guess that would explain why there is so much repetitive work. Oh well.

I think there are alot of good photography on flickr that are really unique and amazing. Then again, there aren't many good Singapore-taken photographs on flickr. I just wish that there would be more good works by Singaporeans, you know?

The repetitive nature of portraiture is what makes it so difficult and so beautiful at the same time.
Similar compositions/lighting of the same person can be totally different pictures based on the slightest change in facial expression or gesture of the sitter.
Perhaps you find Richard Avedon's work repetitive? Because it is on one technical level and absolutely different on other levels.

Perhaps the reason you find most of the pictures boring is because you don't appreciate the subtleties of portraiture.
If you are serious about improving the standard of photography here then you lead by example. No one will take you seriously if you have nothing to back you up.

Let me also point out that Singapore has some of the best photographers in Asia, commercially at least.

Last edited:
I realised that alot of photos in this forum are repetitive. Alot of photos consist of close ups of the models' faces. No background, variation in expressions, etc etc etc.

Are these like, standard model pictures or something?

Either way it makes things boring.

I wish there were more photoshoots like this.

Tell me what you think!

The fact is some people like this type, some like that type. One can try a lot of styles, but ultimately people should be doing what they enjoy. The link you gave is an inspiration, but it is not easy to shoot like that. I'm just a hobbyist. I don't have high ambition in photography as I shoot only to de-stress. I usually memorize and try to regurgitate images from magazines and photo websites. After the shoot every Sunday, my mind switches back to work on Monday. ^^

I realised that alot of photos in this forum are repetitive. Alot of photos consist of close ups of the models' faces. No background, variation in expressions, etc etc etc.

Are these like, standard model pictures or something?

Either way it makes things boring.

I wish there were more photoshoots like this.

Tell me what you think!
My analysis is like this:
Most of the portrait shots that you see here are mostly from organized shoot where there are at least 4 to 6 stranger- photographers to a model. It is very hard to shoot creatively being that the space is always insufficient for you to shoot wide in a creative manner, or for you to do any planning to shoot in any pose directed by someone, as if you wait, someone will ask for another pose or the model will change her pose or position.
Anyway, the time for each model is also very limited.

Secondly, due to organizational and logistic issues, all the organizers here tend to choose only "tested" and convenient sites and as such, most portrait with background always look familiar.

Thirdly, usually because of group shooting, the time of shoot is always around 9-30 to noon or 2 to 5-30 which are really bad time for shooting due to our climate.

Fourth, the C&C ppl here are very critical with background, usually being too cluster, bad. overblown, etc and I suspect a lot of the posters here would rather prefer to post only those closer up images to save the trouble of listening to all those critiques. I m sure in their HD there are plenty of wider-shot images that you are referring.

Fifth, the style and expectation from the members here is that being a portrait, the model should be clearly sharp and if possible a pretty babe:dunno:

Lastly, Singapore do not have enough "unique, outstanding, stylish, dramatic, grand, etc" locations for shooters to experiment. I m sure if we are in old Malaysia or Indonesia, you will expect to get more creative portrait images.... :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.