Do you think photos on the Portraits forum are repetitive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, okay. I guess that would explain why there is so much repetitive work. Oh well.

I think there are alot of good photography on flickr that are really unique and amazing. Then again, there aren't many good Singapore-taken photographs on flickr. I just wish that there would be more good works by Singaporeans, you know?

there are good works, but they are not easily found because:

a) not enough tags
b) not enough group whoring to get into explore
c) no pro account to do b either

etc etc etc

do a proper look through. every country has good photographers.

btw, just as a note, what you find good on flickr might be hideous in others' eyes.

Other than those forums, you can do urself a favour. Go google. Fashion, glamour, beauty photographers etc.

art+commerce photographers work are worth looking at as well.

there are really more than just CS to look at.

who are the local photogs u've seen? I think alot of professionals don't post here. U can check out ppas.sg for the list. However not all register themselves there.

g'day!

wat's wrong with the fotos? :dunno:

why should there be issues in the 1st place?

Nothing wrong per se, I just think the photographs are "flat" and repetitive. Alot of the photographs in the forum are simply zooming up close onto the models' faces, some photo editing, then posting it here.

I'm just commenting that cos under that forum it says "More than just sitting and smiling" Human Portraiture - classical, fine arts, contemporary". Don't you think close-ups, with no background, no variation in expressions are far from "fine arts" and "contemporary"?

Nothing wrong per se, I just think the photographs are "flat" and repetitive. Alot of the photographs in the forum are simply zooming up close onto the models' faces, some photo editing, then posting it here.

I'm just commenting that cos under that forum it says "More than just sitting and smiling" Human Portraiture - classical, fine arts, contemporary". Don't you think close-ups, with no background, no variation in expressions are far from "fine arts" and "contemporary"?

wat u failed to understand is this.

fotography is enjoyed by the masses in ClubSnap as a hobby, first and foremost.

if they are happy with the fotographs they have shot, it is good enough. why should u even advocate some form of a 'standard' here? certainly fotography is not only for the 'artistically inclined'?

everyone has a different standard and taste when it comes to artistic appreciation and understanding.

one man's meat is another's poison. if they see the need to improve and be better, they will seek the right avenue, be it learning from another CSer or from online forums or books.. etc.

perhaps u can learn to accept that some CSers just want to take fotography as it is, a hobby and not another overly-stressing activity much like their day jobs.

there are good works, but they are not easily found because:

a) not enough tags
b) not enough group whoring to get into explore
c) no pro account to do b either

etc etc etc

do a proper look through. every country has good photographers.

btw, just as a note, what you find good on flickr might be hideous in others' eyes.

What you say about Singaporeans not getting enough exposure is probably true.

Tell me if this portfolio is hideous. Or take a look at this portfolio. My point is that I am not dumb. I know what is hideous and what isn't.

wat u failed to understand is this.

fotography is enjoyed by the masses in ClubSnap as a hobby, first and foremost.

if they are happy with the fotographs they have shot, it is good enough. why should u even advocate some form of a 'standard' here? certainly fotography is not only for the 'artistically inclined'?

everyone has a different standard and taste when it comes to artistic appreciation and understanding.

one man's meat is another's poison. if they see the need to improve and be better, they will seek the right avenue, be it learning from another CSer or from online forums or books.. etc.

perhaps u can learn to accept that some CSers just want to take fotography as it is, a hobby and not another overly-stressing activity much like their day jobs.

Hmmm, okay, I got your point. I do understand that maybe photography here doesn't have a certain "standard".

But my point is that photos on that forum IS repetitive. Perhaps I may have gotten out of topic here, but generally my point is I hope to see more creative photographs? Other than just the same old poses and similar photos over and over again.

Don't get mad at me, I'm just stating how I feel.

What you say about Singaporeans not getting enough exposure is probably true.

Tell me if this portfolio is hideous. Or take a look at this portfolio. My point is that I am not dumb. I know what is hideous and what isn't.

its not a matter of whether you're smart or dumb. as you insist, photography is an art, art is subjective. I may think your photograph isn't worth spit, but someone else might pay a bomb for it. (just an example)

Hmmm, okay, I got your point. I do understand that maybe photography here doesn't have a certain "standard".

But my point is that photos on that forum IS repetitive. Perhaps I may have gotten out of topic here, but generally my point is I hope to see more creative photographs? Other than just the same old poses and similar photos over and over again.

Don't get mad at me, I'm just stating how I feel.

i'm not mad at u, dun think i will. :bsmilie:

if you want to see more 'creative' photographs, why not let's start from you?

walk the talk and show it with your own example.

i'm not mad at u, dun think i will. :bsmilie:

if you want to see more 'creative' photographs, why not let's start from you?

walk the talk and show it with your own example.

I still suck at it, thats why I don't post my photography. What I feel is that.. If you want to post it online, make sure that its unique and good, otherwise what is the point of posting?

I know its sounds this sounds like I'm being critical even though I have nothing to show.. But isn't that the point of this forum? To critique and to point out areas of improvement?

I still suck at it, thats why I don't post my photography. What I feel is that.. If you want to post it online, make sure that its unique and good, otherwise what is the point of posting?

I know its sounds this sounds like I'm being critical even though I have nothing to show.. But isn't that the point of this forum? To critique and to point out areas of improvement?

you just shot yourself in the face. PRECISELY because its to critique and point out areas of improvement, if you tried your best with the shots, it doesn't matter if one person who wants to be atas decides that its crap, you post it up and get feedback on how to improve.

based on what you say, only pictures that can win competitions/go on exhibition should be put up? beginners mere mortals who want to learn should just get lost and leave the forums to the professionals?

you just shot yourself in the face. PRECISELY because its to critique and point out areas of improvement, if you tried your best with the shots, it doesn't matter if one person who wants to be atas decides that its crap, you post it up and get feedback on how to improve.

based on what you say, only pictures that can win competitions/go on exhibition should be put up? beginners mere mortals who want to learn should just get lost and leave the forums to the professionals?

What I'm saying is that the photos on the forum are repetitive and it would be nice to have some different photos.

Thats all.

all are welcome to post.. but of course there are individuals/groups here that post it up for the sake of posting. they handle comments and critique coolly, thereby drawing no attention, but the next posting, they show that they do not take it seriously. or they become overdefensive and use the "whatever floats x's boat" logic - i.e. someone out there will like it, so i'm absolved of all blame and responsibility, teehee.

it's quite sad actually. i mean, sure, it's a hobby, and you're more than entitled to keep posting and ignoring critique, but it's sad, i'm sure you get what i mean. :bsmilie:

Last edited:

the point of this forum, my friend...

is...

for photographers and enthusiasts alike to get together, share their works and enjoy the same passion together.

you're missing out on the whole point.

this forum is for the masses and does not serve only to you, with your warped perception of how fotography should be.

i would think that...

CSers are free to share their love for the craft here by posting their works online. a friendly comment/critique/suggestions once in a while will help the CSer to improve.

however i'm not for butter-flatteries that serve no purpose at all except to swell the ego of the CSer.

i'm also not for other CSers to drive home their point of how fotography should be like.

so, by the definition of your own post, when will you post your own works here, for "critiques and to point out areas of improvement"?

What I'm saying is that the photos on the forum are repetitive and it would be nice to have some different photos.

Thats all.

well, the fact that you quoted a "different example" means that there are different.

there is a way to attempt to influence things if you so wish - make comments on the "different works" that you think are good, make sense, and others might follow.

when "different works" get better exposure then more people will simply cater to becoming "diffferent" - this is how humans work after all.

of course, not all that is different is good. that's like saying that becauase i've been eating vanilla ice cream all year round, pistachio will be great. maybe. but what about tuna flavoured ice cream? that's different, but i doubt it'd be good (unless you're in an enid blyton story).

well, the fact that you quoted a "different example" means that there are different.

there is a way to attempt to influence things if you so wish - make comments on the "different works" that you think are good, make sense, and others might follow.

when "different works" get better exposure then more people will simply cater to becoming "diffferent" - this is how humans work after all.

of course, not all that is different is good. that's like saying that becauase i've been eating vanilla ice cream all year round, pistachio will be great. maybe. but what about tuna flavoured ice cream? that's different, but i doubt it'd be good (unless you're in an enid blyton story).

I do, I commented on works that I think are good. Here and here.

Yes, different may not be necessarily good, but isn't the whole point of photography to be unique?

I do, I commented on works that I think are good. Here and here.

Yes, different may not be necessarily good, but isn't the whole point of photography to be unique?

then define unique. there was a thread discussing this about a month back. HOW unique can one be? and how similar can a shot be to another?

and if thats your reason for doing photography then, well, i pity you.

Status
Not open for further replies.