Do you think photography will be commoditised?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunas

Dec 19, 2006
Singapore
With the advancement in technology and the availability of photography related materials on the web where picking up skills on photography is getting "easier and easier", if I may put it in a layman's term. As a result, we see an influx of "people with DSLR" define themselves as photographers, charging photography services much lower than the market rate (Well, it maybe due to their lack of experience). Thus, taking up the market share and causing a reduced in revenue of full-time photographers.

Is there a future for a full-time photographer in Singapore? Do you think that photography is still a profession where everyone can pick up this skill much easier as compared to the past?

Hope to hear from you guys. ;)

Are you gathering information for a school project by any chance?

Last edited:
I would think yes. There are still room for Professional Photographers. Hobbyist, no doubt, can deliver at times better job/ concepts but unless they turn full time and abide to the timing and calling of the client. Speaking of which, clients may/ may not wait for the hobbyist availability.

I am not sure if this is a good analogy: You are a busy CEO with tight time. If you need to fix yr car, change the tires, make sure your car doesnt break down, would you send it to a hobbyist repair man whom you have to wait till weekend? But if you are just the family man who wants to save a penny or two, maybe you may just relax the weekend, chat with the hobbyist car mechanic and explore the possibility of cheaper maintenence. Why not?

no mah...

very common = commoner
most common = commonest

:bsmilie:

extremely common = COMEON!!! :sweat:

That's different lah.

Then we would be talking about Comeonnernisers who practise the black art of comeoning in commoner places where comeoners comeon to comeonees willing to be comeoned on.

omy... i'm coming... :bsmilie:

You can't be simply 'coming'.

In the modern comeonning economy, you would have to be comening, or the staid archiac cumming, depending on which way of whose comeoning orientation you're comeoning on.

eh... look carefully hor... kopitiam section... and this kinda thread... OT is essential.

You can't be simply 'coming'.

In the modern comeonning economy, you would have to be comening, or the staid archiac cumming, depending on which way of whose comeoning orientation you're comeoning on.

OMG...this is getting out of hand...

*lunas is picking up 2 X ABC black stout beer bottles and ready to smash them into Del_CtrlnoAlt & Dream Merchant. (This is kopitiam.) :bsmilie:
Please back to the main topic.

OMG...this is getting out of hand...

*lunas is picking up 2 X ABC black stout beer bottles and ready to smash them into Del_CtrlnoAlt & Dream Merchant. (This is kopitiam.) :bsmilie:
Please back to the main topic.

:bigeyes: :bigeyes: :bigeyes:

i feel that ft photographers still have space, especially in important jobs such as coverage of important events (ie wedding)
i wont want a hobbyist be my photog for my wedding yea? (unless he is really superb but still quite kind not to raise his price :bsmilie: )

also, ft photographers such as commercial photographers will definitely still have their rice bowl.

It has already happened in stock photography. The big players are setting up production houses to churn out volume output with fast turn around.

The largest stock photo supplier Getty calls its contributers "content providers" instead of photographers.

We don't have emotional attachment to our images or any artistic pretension. It's business pure and simple.

Those who make it will have stream-line workflow and highly organised production techniques. And they harness technology cleverly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.