Do you think photo printing will be replaced by digital photo frame in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

highspeed

Jun 30, 2005
Singapore
my3rdeye.zenfolio.com
Do you think photo printing will be replaced by digital photo frame in the future? Recently, I noticed tthat there are a lot of such product selling in the market. I also saw it in COMEX, the resolution is quite good even in big screen like 16", 18" and it supports slide show, jpeg, mp3 and a lot of functions. It is so convinient, you just need to slot in your memory card in the frame then, you can immediately view your photos without wasting time for printing and also need not to worry about the quality of printer/ink/photo paper, printer calibration....etc.

Yes, it's a great innovation, but I guess paper still has a more timeless quality to it. My workflow is all digital, but once in a few months I print the best. Things just look better on print - it's like you're really holding your precious work in your hands.

it wouldnt definetly but price of digital photo frame would only drop

Personally, not only should the price drop, the resoulution of the DPF should improve.

And a very important function which should be incorporated in all DPF - battery. Most of the current models only come with AC adapters which makes portability an issue. If the DPF has build in battery, imagine in the future when all one need to bring to meet friends and families to share one's travel experience would be just a DPF.

Perhaps, in the future, the LCD takes up so little energy that a very slim high capacity battery can last for hours. That would be perfect!

Philips has one such DPF but their price is out of reach of general people like us.

Lets hope one day such a device would come true!:)

I think it will look very nice if you use it display some chinese dragon, gold fishes, or horse charging photos.

maybe some people would like to display all the XMM or bikini babes photos with this.

I think there will always be a market for photo printing.Its more substantial to hold a photo in your hands than look at it on a lcd screen.Even though me myself rarely print;p

I find most photos look better on big LCD screen than printed photo though :sweat:

But printed photo may have sentimental value :)

LCD frames are just downright tacky for me... still prefer prints... kinda like the same question whether digital magazines will soon replace paper-based magazines, i just can't seem to enjoy online magazines as much as printed ones.

Me too!I find it boring to read a digital magazine.I still like holding it in my hands and flipping through the pages

Do you think photo printing will be replaced by digital photo frame in the future? Recently, I noticed tthat there are a lot of such product selling in the market. I also saw it in COMEX, the resolution is quite good even in big screen like 16", 18" and it supports slide show, jpeg, mp3 and a lot of functions. It is so convinient, you just need to slot in your memory card in the frame then, you can immediately view your photos without wasting time for printing and also need not to worry about the quality of printer/ink/photo paper, printer calibration....etc.

That's a good question and who knows what will happen in 2 years time or even 5 years time. It is said that people tend to over-estimate what can be done in 2 years and under-estimate what can be done in 5 years. If the rate of technology improvement for digital photoframes is as fast as that of LCD TV's I wouldn't be surprised. If the frames can be made lighter and slimmer to hang on walls, very-low pwr consumption using batteries to avoid unsightly wires, very high resolution and low-cost,I think it is possible. But I don't think it will be using the same technology (LCD) as today's digital frames. More likely in newer tech like electronic ink(still in trial stage) with flexible screen and very low pwr consumption (no or very little power required in static display mode). Then again, I may sound like a fool in 5 year's time :lovegrin:

That's a good question and who knows what will happen in 2 years time or even 5 years time. It is said that people tend to over-estimate what can be done in 2 years and under-estimate what can be done in 5 years. If the rate of technology improvement for digital photoframes is as fast as that of LCD TV's I wouldn't be surprised. If the frames can be made lighter and slimmer to hang on walls, very-low pwr consumption using batteries to avoid unsightly wires, very high resolution and low-cost,I think it is possible. But I don't think it will be using the same technology (LCD) as today's digital frames. More likely in newer tech like electronic ink(still in trial stage) with flexible screen and very low pwr consumption (no or very little power required in static display mode). Then again, I may sound like a fool in 5 year's time :lovegrin:

1 thing that such frames can't replace is that it's forces everyone to look at the same pic at any given time. this is where cheap prints can be shared by multiple people and it sure feel more "personal". that's just what I've observed when I mande the decision to show pics thru my lappy instead of printing photos for sharing.

Stone me, but I prefer my shots printed out.

There's just something magical about handling your pictures and viewing them through a portfolio.

Samuel

I doubt photo printing will ever be replaced by digital photo frame in the future.

Just take the example of painted pictures and portraits. Even with the invention of cameras, there are still people that paint pictures using the good old paint brush and canvas sheet.

Humans are a nostalgic lot. Granted, there may be lesser photo prints in the future, but they would most definitely still be around and would never be replaced by digital photo frames. Just like how painted pictures will never be replaced by photos. On the contrary, instead of replacing each other, they different mediums will compliment each other! :bigeyes:

it wouldnt definetly but price of digital photo frame would only drop

price will drop gradually.
it has always been this way.
and then, digital photo frame will catch mainstream.

If they ever have an affordable A2-sized one and upwards then maybe.

But only maybe.

Seems like most people prefer hardcopies to softcopies... This is good news to HP, Canon, Epson and other printer companies cos that will mean more $$ to them.

Perhaps our generation still likes to hold on the physical photos rather than LCD. But future generation may be different. Looks what happening now to laptops and notebook. Everyone seems to be carrying one and before you know it, it may become the next essential item like mobile phone.

its not feasible afterall..imagine a 60R family potrait replace using digital photo frame..:sweat:

Status
Not open for further replies.