Do you think it is pragmatic to use portable storage medium (HDD)?

My experience after using a portable storage device is ....

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoossh

Nov 29, 2005
Singapore
Currently using Nikon D50 and shoot in NEF format using SD cards.

This problem had been around on my mind for a long time and i'm still wondering if there are any good solutions. First of all, a medium able to read SD cards and NEF format limits the choice.

saw this thread http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=170694&highlight=portable+storage, almost interested, but thinking again - if i use my camera to view, it is 2". if i use the medium to view, it is 3.5". slight difference in comfort but not useful to see details and no difference to deciding to keep or discard photo.

somemore i usually shoot less than 1GB per day (about 130 photos). I already had about 3-4GB of SD cards. that would last me 3-5 days of travel at least. i may get 1 more 1GB card and that should be safe. and very much handier and lighter.

Just my thoughts for my situation. Wonder what is the experience of those who used portable storage.... do you find it worthy after spending S$300-600 on the device and in the end do you really need that?

It really depends. See, when I travel, I'll bring a laptop and the pictures will go into it at the end of the day. I need the laptop for email, check itinery, etc so it comes into use. Those portable devices are usable for what you want but are single use devices. More often, they are used by those who shoots a lot in a day like when they are on assignments.

If you are going to use it occasionally for trips overseas, you might be better off renting it.

And the stability of the device also has to be taken into consideration. It's not fun if you realized your pictures in it are gone..
For more developed countries that i travel to, i spend quite a bit on going to photo labs and transfer my pictures from CF to CD/DVD. In Scandinavia where living standard is sky high, getting a 1gb to a disc can cost me like S$30. And proves more safe and reliable, easier storage too - a CD or DVD won't spoil if you drop it, but a portable HDD will! hehe..

Experiences told me not to shoot solely in RAW during travel. They really take up way too much space, and headache when i get home. Other than shooting more difficult situations/lots of mix lightings, i'd prefer JPEG.

then what do u want to use?

Am using the creative zen vision and its certainly useful.

For traveling, I will d/l all my pics into the device and view them at the end of every day. Save the money and trouble to bring more CF cards or laptops

It has already become my backup storage too

just some comments from one that uses such a device, and who doesn't travel!! (well not yet anyway!)

i use it as a form of back up, first and foremost. generally speaking i have enuff cf cards to last me for each session of shoot that i do (weddings) but i will still download each card after they are full. this ensures i have two copies of everything right from the beginning. the best of course is to have two slots in the cam and when i shoot, it gets stored in both cards, i think canon pro bodies have this.

only occasionally i do run out of cf when i shoot, and so far, i've no problems losing data on the portable storage (pd70x), and can format my cf cards should i need to reuse them in the same session.

if i'm travelling, SURE trigger happy one, so i would definitely bring it along. and i won't have to worry about keeping two copies (so i can keep reusing my cards) because ultimately if i sway sway lose the pics, at least i won't have a customer cursing me for the rest of his/her life... :bsmilie:

shooting locally, just use my CF cards. Over time, I had accumulated way too many GBs.

Use a PD70X on short trips to store the files. Even though I have lots of flash memories, they will run out.

On longer trips, I normally bring my notebook, can do some post shoot sorting and processing, less work back home.

I think you answered your own question.
There are many who finds portable storage absolutely essential (including me), but that doesn't mean you need one. I think whats playing in your mind is a matter of WANTs instead of NEEDs... ;)

zoossh said:
Currently using Nikon D50 and shoot in NEF format using SD cards.

This problem had been around on my mind for a long time and i'm still wondering if there are any good solutions. First of all, a medium able to read SD cards and NEF format limits the choice.

saw this thread http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=170694&highlight=portable+storage, almost interested, but thinking again - if i use my camera to view, it is 2". if i use the medium to view, it is 3.5". slight difference in comfort but not useful to see details and no difference to deciding to keep or discard photo.

somemore i usually shoot less than 1GB per day (about 130 photos). I already had about 3-4GB of SD cards. that would last me 3-5 days of travel at least. i may get 1 more 1GB card and that should be safe. and very much handier and lighter.

Just my thoughts for my situation. Wonder what is the experience of those who used portable storage.... do you find it worthy after spending S$300-600 on the device and in the end do you really need that?

It is useful and essential.

CD/DVD can break easily if u do not store carefully. it is also prone to heat and UV ray destruction if u forgot and leave it in the car etc. A little scratch will also destroy the data. While HD will withstand all the above except a nasty drop. Today's HD techno has come of age. Even if your HD spoil, you can still recover the data, while CD/DVD is certain death. :sweat:

Actually it's all abt $ & cts. Since u've already have so many SD cards, it might not be economical to buy the portable storage if u dont shoot so much durin the course of the day or even if u'r not plannin to go on a long trip.

I bought mine very early wen i only had 1GB of CF card, thus i really need it as i dont foresee buyin so many memory card except another 1 for backup purposes.

So it make sense to me. N since i already has it, i used it as a backup durin my daily shoots so even if at the end of the day something goes wrong to my card or even if i lose it, i have a backup in the portable drive.

Guess not everyone need one.

AdyH said:
Actually it's all abt $ & cts. Since u've already have so many SD cards, it might not be economical to buy the portable storage if u dont shoot so much durin the course of the day or even if u'r not plannin to go on a long trip.

I bought mine very early wen i only had 1GB of CF card, thus i really need it as i dont foresee buyin so many memory card except another 1 for backup purposes.

So it make sense to me. N since i already has it, i used it as a backup durin my daily shoots so even if at the end of the day something goes wrong to my card or even if i lose it, i have a backup in the portable drive.

Guess not everyone need one.

i'm thinking of spending on this casing mach2 photo bank which is sub $100.

http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=124706&page=5&pp=20&highlight=mach+photobank

after giving some 256MB cards to my gf, i'm now down with 3 1GB SD card, not very sufficient for those 5-10days holiday, and already had a 60GB 2.5" HDD. if need to buy a few more SD cards will also spend abt $300. i think i will still keep the 3 SD, use 2 per day and spare 1 (in case) and then use the photo bank to store.

I am using PD7X with 40 GB HD ..brought it to Singapore, New Zealand, HK and Singapore again on a 3 weeks trip, got about 20 gb of RAW files..
Been using it for a while, never lost any file ..

Every tried the Ipod Video? The 5th gen 60 gig with a camera connector allows direct transfer from camera to ipod and view on the larger screen . Good for travels... can watch videos and listen mp3s too when you're bored....

Great to showcase your best collection of pictures too for others to view...

alee13 said:
Every tried the Ipod Video? The 5th gen 60 gig with a camera connector allows direct transfer from camera to ipod and view on the larger screen . Good for travels... can watch videos and listen mp3s too when you're bored....

Great to showcase your best collection of pictures too for others to view...

like i said, first of all, a medium able to read SD cards and NEF format limits the choice. if it can't view NEF, then no point for a viewer for me. of cos, i'm not saying it is not a gd product for others

I am using Vosonic 300 ... I swear by it. Went Aust for 8 days w two 512 CF cards and a 30GB hdd, I took like 1900 pics at high quality ... how could it have been possible w/o the HDD?

paradigm said:
I am using Vosonic 300 ... I swear by it. Went Aust for 8 days w two 512 CF cards and a 30GB hdd, I took like 1900 pics at high quality ... how could it have been possible w/o the HDD?

where u got it?

any specs to its details?

and one more thing.....erm....how much? :D

thanx man

plsoong said:
where u got it?

any specs to its details?

and one more thing.....erm....how much? :D

thanx man

got it long time ago lar ... almost 2 yrs liao @ Eastgear ... when I got it, it was about $350 w 30GB HDD installed. Now should be about 1/2 the price. Sometime back got CS'ers selling ... post a WTB lar ...

er, you can plug in lots of cards (MS, SD, MMC, CF, XD etc). Bery good, but cannot review the pics. No problem to me since battery life bery precious and no point wasting the juice viewing on a puny screen. Other specs, you may need to view the website or something ...

Status
Not open for further replies.