Do you think it is okay to edit someone photo without his/her permission.

Is it okay to edit your photo?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ninelives

Jan 16, 2002
BB
ninelives.clubsnap.org
Very often when someone post a photo, a member will edit his photo(color/brightness correction etc) and repost it without his/her mission.

Do you this this is ethical?

Maybe poster should add a line " Feel free to edit" in his post.

whattya think?

Originally posted by ninelives
Very often when someone post a photo, a member will edit his photo(color/brightness correction etc) and repost it without his/her mission.

Do you this this is ethical?

Maybe poster should add a line " Feel free to edit" in his post.

whattya think?

I think permission should be seeked in advance prior to editing and repost.

It's a form of courtesy...

hmm....if it is not for commerical purpose, why not??

Personally, i won't mind other pple edit my pic and re-post without asking, i will be very happy cos pple bother to help u to make the photo looks better and it is beneficial to everyone....

if a member dun wish others to edit their photo...probably can state it in the post?

I dunno abt others, but it will be the best to inform the owner, just a form of courtesy

Technically, no. It's an infringement of copyright. The usual defences apply.

The old SAF saying goes, do whatever you like, don't get caught. :p

Maybe i am not clear enough. I mean someone may post a photo for critique, another member edit and repost it. His intention is good, he is trying to tell the poster a photo will have different effect or result by editing.

Head over to Photo Galleries , you know wat I mean.

Actually personally I don't mind people editing my pictures on the intention to show me how I can make them better... using them for other purposes without asking is different case though... So my answer is yes & no.

Some people would mind and some people would not mind their photos being edited by others. So this should be a 2-way communication. There is no straight answer to whether it is OK or not OK to do so.

My suggestions are:

- The original poster to state clearly whether he/she grants permission for others to edit the picture.

- The person editing the picture has to state exactly what is done to the picture, and his/her reason/s to do so. Otherwise it defeats the purpose. What's the point of just telling the original poster "your picture has some problems, my version is better, here it is." This is not helpful at all.

- To establish a common standard of whether it is OK or not OK to edit if the poster did not specify. This is like the U-turn sign on the road. In Singapore, it is not OK to U-turn unless you are told otherwise. In US, it is OK to U-turn unless you are told not to. Following the Singapore convention, then it is not OK to edit unless permission is given explicitly byu the original poster.

Thanks!

Roy

IMHO, I think the intent is important. If the purpose is like what NineLives said, in a forum with the owner's knowledge (whether before or after), to illustrate another perspective, I believe it is appriopriate. Unless the owner specifically state that he allows no tampering or whatsoever. As we all know, there exist numerous loopholes in the law.

However, editing for commercial reasons or for personal matters without knowledge of owner, then I believe that to be an infringement of rights and ownership.

Status
Not open for further replies.