do you think DX (digital format) will be dead in the future???

Status
Not open for further replies.

camerax

Apr 19, 2008
hi guys, the title said it. do you think that this format is going to be dead??

for some people who may not notice, nikon havent released 2.8 lens for dx format since 2003.

17-55 2.8 DX is probably the last professional DX lens by nikon.

a lot of my friends dont even want to invest their money on DX lenses anymore because they are worried.'

what you guys think about this?

my personal opinion is : i think there is a chance that this will be dead. If the price of FX camera go down to the level which is affordable, i think its safe to say goodbye with DX format.

one more thing, for anybody who care to comment. please state whether you still buying DX lenses or not.

;)

If nikon is not coming out with new lenses you got no choice but to buy some DX lens and shoot.
Else waiting game is the best way to see FX price reduce. but u'll miss out opportunity to take pictures.

nonsense

FF costs still so high

if they convert all to FF can wait long long, they will lose all the GWCs and people who cannot afford FF

not anytime soon, anyways. "in the long run, we are all dead."

Of course there is a chance that DX will be dead, so will be petrol-driven cars and bulky desktops. But until then, let's live on what we have.

To put it bluntly, one day we will be dead, so we give up photography now? :think:

Dead? I wouldn't want to be having to carry big and heavy lenses with giant bodies.

Either would I want my telelphotos to be that short.

Of course there is a chance that DX will be dead, so will be petrol-driven cars and bulky desktops. But until then, let's live on what we have.

To put it bluntly, one day we will be dead, so we give up photography now? :think:
anything or everything will be dead in the future...

Why worry? enjoy LIFE!
:cheergal:

DX will live on in a new generation of PnS and continue on low end DSLRs. FF may not be everyone's cup of tea, DX users will lament about vignetting on FF and so on. Fact remains, FF resolves information better than DX or any crop for that matter, just like medium format vs 35mm film. But did 35mm die?

Well.. Canon is still releasing new EF lenses...

Why worry? enjoy LIFE!
:cheergal:
Exactly... Life is already so unpredictable and short, don't make it any shorter by worrying things that are not within our control.

I dont think DX will be dead anytime soon. FX are still too expensive and bulky. My gf would never give up her compact camera for a DSLR, seriously. There're different needs...

u see, last time, ve 135, 120, large format.

now (digital), ve DX, FX and large format.

so, my assumption, of past and present day equavalent, is DX = 135 (affordable), FX = 120 (somewhat affordable), large format = too expensive for most ppl to afford.

Maybe by then DX sensor will trickle into the PnS.
Anyway if that were to take place in 10 yrs, you cannot be possibly wanting to wait that long.

Ryan

My personal opinion is as such. "May or May Not".

*) May
With the current trend of major camera players introducing more affordable full frame cameras, DX may come to the point where it is no longer attractive for the mass consumer as the prices competition and technology upgrades to full frame sensor brings about better images at lower price. Imagine, would you still go back to a 14" LCD when you can spend at fraction of the price on a 21" one ?

*) May Not
Generally why full frame is better not because larger is better. That's because with the current technology, it can only offer so much or perhaps that is so much the manufacturer can afford at that price range. That's why the medium format digital cameras cost a bomb and is out of reach by most consumer. If Hasselblad cameras is going to price like a D90, do you think photography enthusiasts will say no to it ? But bigger is not always better. Bigger means heavier, Bigger means less cost effective, Bigger means less portable, Bigger means more energy required. If technology one day can produce pinhole camera that functions like a Nikon D3, I think consumers will love them too :) But of course, by then probably Dxxxx at the APS-C size might be 1 gigapixel with noise level the same as what you are getting now ? In my opinion, going downsize is the way eventually for less glass required to give the same quality as what we are getting now.

All in all, in the near future for perhaps the next 10yrs, you may not be observe things getting smaller yet. There's still a business to run, manufacturers will not change that fast or they will be cannibalizing their own products. But I foresee smaller sensors like micro four third will eventually come to the point where it's dynamic range and noise level be in par with a full frame sensor. If consumers trend is driven towards smaller and handier is better, then we will be looking at DX surviving after all.

My 2 cents worth :)

Last edited:
I don't think it will be DEAD so soon as there are still many factors which favours DX like size, weight and price.

As the DX body market has moved downwards in price, it also sadly means that the market for pro-grade DX lens is no longer viable for Nikon unless they can produce the likes of a 12-24/F4, 17-55/F2.8 in a cheaper package. Like it or not, not many people can justify the price of such pro lenses if they are buying a D90/D300 in today's price as opposed to the days when D2Xs, D200 was in Nikon's lineups.

Well.. Canon is still releasing new EF lenses...
I dont think that C or N camp will be given any new EF or DX pro f2.8 lenses...
IMHO, FF is still mainly for pros...

From a user point of view the DX format is only obselete / dead the moment the you stop using it.

But i guess with a stronger adoption of FX, DX range will still be engineered and marketed for consumers and the FX for the savy / advanced amateurs / professionals for a while more.

Meanwhile time will tell that's going to happen

Ryan

DX & FX bodies each have their pros and cons... for me, I want 1 DX camera and 1 FX camera, so I can take advantage of their pros...

YES IT'S DYING VERY FAST.

*tsk tsk*...... am waiting at buyNsell.......

won't be so fast.

my 2 cents worth.

IMHO.... both will co-exist side by side.

FF is still a dream for most ppl here.... at least another 3-5years before a really affordable FF camera will be out 9not more than $2.5K when come out). Till then, DX or EF-S lense that are f2.8 or better, are what most of us could afford. Personally.... crop sensor camera does have its advantage.... you get instant 1.5-1.6 zoom just by using a crop frame camera by itself.... :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.