Do you test your camera bag rain resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasnt really that optimistic at first, pretty surprising results....i`m thinking the higher range Lowepro and etc backpacks should be able to do better.

know of anyone else who has tested in such a way especially the lowepro trekker line and so on?

Actually it takes quite abit of constant splashing before a good quality camera bag is totally soaked on the outside for a substantial amount of water to enter and collect inside.

has anyone tested these bags without the all weather plastic thingie? is there an independent lab that verifies the water-resistance or do they have international rating like ISO?

of course using a shower spray to simulate torrential downpour can say is overkill but i am thinking if raining, typical human response would be to look for cover rather then get wet while fitting the bag with the all weather plastic thingie.

I fell into a small pool of water during treking with my lowepro slingshot200 without the rain cover, my silicon gel packets I put inside the bag are all wet. Result was quite bad but 'acceptable' considering the bag was soak, camera surface wet but not soak therefore survived.

Btw I am usually quite abusive user that always go for harsh environment. Quite often I used the rain cover during heavy rain, some water got through the rain cover but internal is all dry. Acceptable I think ahha.

Last edited:
was using a lowepro stealth reporter 400 in 2004 at east coast park when i was caught in a thunderstorm when i was at the beach shooting. stuffed all my gear into the bag including wallet/notes/etc and took a 15min walk to shelter in the heavy thunderstorm. after i dried myself, i looked at my bag and thought "siao liao..everything sure wet" (didnt' use the waterproof cover).

to my amazement, not a single thing was wet in my bag, from the sheets of paper to my camera gear. the protective pads in the bag were not even damp!

I fell into a small pool of water during treking with my lowepro slingshot200 without the rain cover, my silicon gel packets I put inside the bag are all wet. Result was quite bad but 'acceptable' considering the bag was soak, camera surface wet but not soak therefore survived.

Btw I am usually quite abusive user that always go for harsh environment. Quite often I used the rain cover during heavy rain, some water got through the rain cover but internal is all dry. Acceptable I think ahha.
what a coincidence, did a soak test with the bag..complete immersion in water.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ_OE0X0SrM

the result speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.