Do you switch off your cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rc1q2w3e4r

Feb 3, 2007
Hi,

I just bought myself a Canon 30D. Just wondering what others are doing wrt the power switch?

Do you turn it on and off in between shoots? Say walking around and then spot something interesting, shoot, switch off and then maybe 3 hours later switch it on again to shoot something else?

What I'm doing is to set the auto power off to 1 min and let the cam shut itself down. Only switch off before storing it in the dry cabinet. Will it cause any harm?

Reason - Try not to rotate the poor switch too many times, may cause premature failure? Also read from somewhere that 30D really never switches off even with the switch in the off position - Why is this so?

Taken from CNET review :

"In terms of performance and speed, the 30D certainly doesn't disappoint. Even when the camera is turned off, it doesn't totally switch off; it's more as if the shooter is in a dormant mode. For instance, when you insert a CompactFlash card into the unit while the camera is off, the red indicator light lights up showing that the shooter is reading the card.

Because of its "never-really-off" status, the 30D reported for duty almost instantaneously in our tests. Autofocus timing was also good and we could use either the multi-controller or the circular dial to select the AF points arranged in a nine-point diamond formation. On our 1GB Imation CompactFlash test card, we managed to clock 12 pictures in RAW before the buffer filled up.

One quibble we had with the 30D was that the camera would shut down when the CompactFlash compartment door was opened. Generally, this meant that any images yet to be written onto the card (in other words, still in the buffer) would be lost. We would also have liked to see the ISO setting on the top LCD panel instead of having to press the Drive/ISO button to know which ISO the camera was currently on."

http://asia.cnet.com/reviews/digitalcameras/0,39001468,39116522p-2,00.htm

Thanks in advance:)

i leave it on, and set to 8 mins before it "switches off" =)

i tink its ok to leave it on, anyway the DSLR its self save alot of batt compared to cameras but if you are thinking of moving for long distance i believe its better to have it off

There was once I spoke to the salesperson at a camera shop. He just told me that the auto power off in a camera is not really trustworthy. Better not trust it so much, he said. I don't know how true that is, but I try to turn off my camera if I am not taking pictures for a long period.

always off the camera lah of course, if you suddenly want to change lens and if you forget to off, the dust will come rushing in to stick to your sensor.....then you will have more problems...;) don't be dumb dumb hor.. :bsmilie:

Well that will be a problem if the mirror is locked-up. Then the charged sensor may attract the dust in. Usually should not be a problem. Once the dust gets into the compartment, even if you off the power during lens switching, the dust will get stuck at your sensor when u take the first picture.

always off the camera lah of course, if you suddenly want to change lens and if you forget to off, the dust will come rushing in to stick to your sensor.....then you will have more problems...;) don't be dumb dumb hor.. :bsmilie:

agree with what you say, ppl tend to forget things when the r excited or too happy.. prob comes u become excited to see some nice pics n wan to change lens b4 u take n nvr turn off then sad loh

Habit already. Will just switch off the camera.

yeah.. i'll just switch it off too.. unless i know i'll be taking some pics soon.. or some fast action shots that can't wait for me to fiddle around with the power switch...

Status
Not open for further replies.