Do you shoot RAW?

Do you shoot RAW?

Results are only viewable after voting.

I did for my hols in NZ. Ended up with 1400 RAWs that took my PIII 1 Ghz, 36 hours to batch process at combined settings in Breezebrowser. Some of them need to be further tweaked somemore.

Ouch. I begining to regret.

I figured RAW isn't for things like actual day wedding shoots, event coverage, etc. Not only it takes a long time to write, takes up a lot more space, it also wastes your time in post processing them when at the end of the day, you deliver only 4R prints. ;p

If you shoot landscape for example, where you take your own sweet time, RAW makes more sense. Like Java_Guru's experience, RAW isn't for travelling either. :)

Regards
CK

But I really did like the ability to tweak the white balance settings.

Also the Adobe Camera Raw is amazing single interface tool for tweaking photos.

It is the pure size of RAW and CPU computation power that is irritating. sigh.

I haven't found a case where I needed the extra "bandwidth" for manipulation in RAW yet, so I've been happy with the highest quality and size JPEGs, unsharpened in camera. Photoshop takes over from there.

My RAW images are 12.5 MB in size, so that really cramps my style seeing that I only have a 512MB CF so far.

I would see that using RAW will be useful in challenging conditions, but my experience has been that shots from challenging conditions normally get filed in the circular bin ... learnt to shoot only in acceptable conditions ...

My wallet still gently weeps when it thinks of all the Velvia slides I've thrown away ... :cry:

I shoot more than 5k images with my D100 but my RAW files is less than 50 pics. I am confident to shoot in JPEG like shooting using 35mm film, like what Mooose Peterson advices at his website " Do it Right, Right at First Time".

Originally posted by ckiang
Do you shoot RAW?

Regards
CK

No not even once. My F100 doesn't have that function.:D

Cheers.

I figured RAW isn't for things like actual day wedding shoots, event coverage, etc. Not only it takes a long time to write, takes up a lot more space, it also wastes your time in post processing them when at the end of the day, you deliver only 4R prints. ;p

If you shoot landscape for example, where you take your own sweet time, RAW makes more sense. Like Java_Guru's experience, RAW isn't for travelling either. :)

Regards
CK

That's interesting. I use only Jpeg, but I was speaking to Canturn, and he says RAW processing with CaptureOne saves him a huge amount of time. Just set custom white balance, sharpening and a few other parameters, and batch process. No need to go through the files one by one, and no need to use PS.

Almost tempted me, until I realised that I ENJOYED going through the pictures I had taken and tweaking them...

I shoot RAW all the time on my Coolpix 5000. Sadly, I need to in order to overcome it's inconsistent metering and easily blown highlights. :( As I photograph people more than landscapes, you don't get the chance to bracket the shots. Correction of white balance is a strong plus point.

I think most people who get by with JPEG are either using DSLRs with better dynamic range, other cameras other than coolpixes (and hence have less of a problem with blown highlights), shoot mainly landscape or :eek: are really that good.

tired captureone for a while until it expired and found it great..
i think the colors turn out better

Regards
CK
On the contrary, I try to shoot RAW when travelling. The conditions out there are unpredictable, and I don't want to come back with shots with wrong WB from some prev scenes etc. And exposure compensation can help make sure your most memorable shots are, well, memorable :)
And I'm only using a AMD K6 450MHz machine....

Originally posted by StreetShooter
Almost tempted me, until I realised that I ENJOYED going through the pictures I had taken and tweaking them...
Hmm? Then, all the more you should use RAW!!.... Soooo many things you can tweak... ;)

..NuTs..

Seriously, I can't remember when was the last time I shoot JPEG.
:)

I shoot RAW all the time....contrary to what someone said, RAW is suitable for travelling. I find it fun to go thru my images slowly over the course or weeks (or months) and throw away those I don't really want. RAW to me is your digital negatives. The best about using my D30 is that RAW takes <3MB.

I don't think jpg is a "waste of time" as the poll says above!!! Not sure what that is supposed to mean! There are times when you want to use jpg. For me less important images are in jpg. No way for travel photography. RAAAAAAAAAW!!!

I have never tried shooting in the RAW, but might give it a go one day once the weather warms up.... :D

I shoot RAW most of the time when using DSLR. Perhaps because digital is a new medium to me that works quite differently from SLR using film. Shooting RAW gives me the flexibility to match WB with contrast and brightness adjustments etc via Nikon View 6 software. On a few occasions, I was able to salvage some wrongly exposed photos. Sure it would be nice to be able to shoot like Moose Peterson "right at first time." But he has been taking pictures ALL HIS LIFE. Me.....I am only taking pictures when I am free during weekend, holidays etc. The learning curves bound to be different and shooting RAW gives me the ability to correct some of my mistakes.:D

Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy
I have never tried shooting in the RAW, but might give it a go one day once the weather warms up.... :D

Make sure you get the WB correct for those skin tones ;)

I mean, I'd assume your subjects would be similarly inclined ? :embrass:

Originally posted by mysteriousjimmy
Oh come on! While we here are suffering from the horrid weather, you could go to Threadbo and give us some nice photos to suan us ;) :D .