Do you shoot at the sun?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henessy

Feb 1, 2006
Bishan
www.henessyphoto.blogspot.com
Hi, as my DSLR camera manual said to avoid pointing camera at the sun or strong light source, does it mean that we have to compose with the sun out of the photo?

Thanks

Depends on what effects you want to achieve. Pointing directly at the sun would usually give you an underexposed pic. Who wants to point at the sun anyway, makes no sense. But you don't have to avoid the sun, no worries. Depends on what effects you want to achieve, if you want those silhouette figures by the beach, with clearer backdrop then do borrow some light from the sun. If you dont care abt the backdrop or the sun, then use spot or sth and meter on the people. If you need to borrow the lights from the sun and have ur subject, then you can try to angle the sun behind their heads or body.
All in all, ignore the instruction and shoot as normal, because instructions usu always tells you to avoid electric shocks to the batteries or eat it (who on earth would want to shock the batteries?)

Depends on what effects you want to achieve. Pointing directly at the sun would usually give you an underexposed pic. Who wants to point at the sun anyway, makes no sense. But you don't have to avoid the sun, no worries. Depends on what effects you want to achieve, if you want those silhouette figures by the beach, with clearer backdrop then do borrow some light from the sun. If you dont care abt the backdrop or the sun, then use spot or sth and meter on the people. If you need to borrow the lights from the sun and have ur subject, then you can try to angle the sun behind their heads or body.
All in all, ignore the instruction and shoot as normal, because instructions usu always tells you to avoid electric shocks to the batteries or eat it (who on earth would want to shock the batteries?)

I am sorry for phasing my question wrongly, causing some misunderstanding. I was trying to say those silhouette figures about the beach with the sun as background.

Thanks for your thoughts;)

I think the don't point at the sun was to avod people from being blinded trying to take photographs of the sun, or doing long exposures of the sun and burning the sensor :D but then I think you can point it at the sun if you want it in the photograph :)

I think the don't point at the sun was to avod people from being blinded trying to take photographs of the sun, or doing long exposures of the sun and burning the sensor :D but then I think you can point it at the sun if you want it in the photograph :)

Hmmm. Those technical manuals' notes and pointers are mostly concern on camera's care. I don think it is refering to the technique or knowledge of the user... U know, its a technical manual...

Think prolong exposure to strong sunlight or any strong lighting like spot light is not very good to the camera. UV rays can do quite a damage if under it for too long.... And I mean very long...

Hi, as my DSLR camera manual said to avoid pointing camera at the sun or strong light source, does it mean that we have to compose with the sun out of the photo?

Thanks
no.

a lot of people shoot against the sun, i do it most of the time with small apertures at that, so that the sun can look like a starburst. the problem with this is that you are going to have serious trouble with the dynamic range, usually you can only achieve full silhouette. also, looking at the sun DIRECTLY through the viewfinder, when it is not hidden behind clouds.. take it from me that it is a painful experience.. and possibly does damage to your eyes. and you should avoid it. if you really must have a scene there, then you can point, but i guess do not look at the sun, look elsewhere in the viewfinder, will not be so painful, and do it quickly.

if you're worried about camera care, then let's just say that i have been taking against the sun pictures for as long as i remember, and my camera is past 13K shutter clicks and is still working fine. you shouldn't need prolonged shutter speeds anyways for shooting, unless you're crazy, and switch to manual and set your camera to shoot the sun for 30 seconds. in which case i'm certain something will happen to your sensor, you must remmeber that it is focusing the scene image onto the sensor.. at least that's what i think happens.

try not to point camera at the sun or shoot at the sun unless its near sunrise or sunset... otherwise you are likely to damage your eyes and the sensor...

As long as shooting in auto mode like Preset, P, Av/A or Tv/S should be fine. Do not try M mode and set long exposure as it will fry your sensor.

I like to shoot at the Sun and usually I will use f22 to achieve star effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.