Do you send in your DSLR for professional cleaning?

How often do you send in your DSLR for Professional cleaning?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickk

Aug 28, 2004
How often do you send in for cleaning?

1) Monthly
2) Bi-monthly
3) Six-monthly
4) Yearly
5) Never

Do you get it done at Canon? If not, pls state.

juz own the cam for 3mths or so, no chance to send for cleaning..meanwhile only blow blow blow and wipe wipe wipe..mebe after 6 mths may consider sending for cleaning.:)

Have never sent it in before, since it's still pretty new.. Does Canon charge for the cleaning when under warranty? If they do, how much is it? And how long does it take?

nickk said:
How often do you send in for cleaning?

1) Monthly
2) Bi-monthly
3) Six-monthly
4) Yearly
5) Never

Do you get it done at Canon? If not, pls state.

jeryltan said:
Have never sent it in before, since it's still pretty new.. Does Canon charge for the cleaning when under warranty? If they do, how much is it? And how long does it take?

Yes, Canon charge for sensor cleaning even though it's under warranty.
The last price I've heard was 20 SGD before GST. Took my friend a day to get it done.
Can be very crowded at times.

IMHO, i don't think there is any perfect method to clean the sensor. Unless canon has a vacuum room with operator wearing astraunouts jumpsuit to do the job, otherwise there is not much diff from DIY brush/blower method.

But do they really do a better job than cleaning it ourselves? Normally I just use a blower brush.. What about for lenses? Necessary to send it in occassionally to clean? Especially those that are used often?

Hoky said:
The last price I've heard was 20 SGD before GST. Took my friend a day to get it done.

Hey... i got it done at $20. This price is usually for the sensor only but what i really needed was to clean the whole interior of the DSLR. That cost around $200+. Unless u would like to dismantle your DSLR ;)

btw... i didn't pay for the interior cleaning :thumbsup:

jeryltan said:
But do they really do a better job than cleaning it ourselves? Normally I just use a blower brush.. What about for lenses? Necessary to send it in occassionally to clean? Especially those that are used often?

Well, the last time I sent in my camera to remove speckle of dust on the viewfinder and they used a blower as well. Lucky for me, that's free.

For the sensor, I think they'll use higher pressure blower and scraper to clean.
There's some scrapers / sensor cleaner in the market, but I won't risk it. So long no dust clouds appearing on my pictures, I'm fine with that.

For lenses, if you protect them well (free of fungi, fog... etc), you don't need to clean them at all (Unless dust and dirt build up that is if you go to deserts, construction sites... etc). I only brush and clean the filters only.
You should worry about the lenses build / construction and focusing problems instead. They are mechanical objects, so they wear and certainly require calibration over long period of time.

Hmm.. Since you brought it up, what about calibration? Is it free during warranty or also have to pay? How do I know when I need to send my equipment in for calibration? I presume they will clean the equipment when doing calibration? :)

Hoky said:
Well, the last time I sent in my camera to remove speckle of dust on the viewfinder and they used a blower as well. Lucky for me, that's free.

For the sensor, I think they'll use higher pressure blower and scraper to clean.
There's some scrapers / sensor cleaner in the market, but I won't risk it. So long no dust clouds appearing on my pictures, I'm fine with that.

For lenses, if you protect them well (free of fungi, fog... etc), you don't need to clean them at all (Unless dust and dirt build up that is if you go to deserts, construction sites... etc). I only brush and clean the filters only.
You should worry about the lenses build / construction and focusing problems instead. They are mechanical objects, so they wear and certainly require calibration over long period of time.

Maybe after the calibration, they might just clean it with their t-shirts... BONUS! :bsmilie:

jeryltan said:
Hmm.. Since you brought it up, what about calibration? Is it free during warranty or also have to pay? How do I know when I need to send my equipment in for calibration? I presume they will clean the equipment when doing calibration? :)
Don't think they'll clean your equipment during calibration. For prices, it is usually based on your body + lens. Do a search in this forum. there're talks about calibration before

jeryltan said:

Well, my experience is that Canon and Sigma calibrate the lenses for free during warranty. However if the optics or any other components is damaged in any way, you will have to pay for the parts replacement. Only workmanship is free during the 1 year warranty.

You'll know you need calibration when you are lacking details in your pictures due to poor focusing, back / front focusing... etc.

I don't think they will do a thorough clean while calibration. In fact, it could be worst as the labs are just normal air conditioned rooms and are filled with equipment, other lenses... etc. You may end up getting more dust in your lenses.

You mean the 1st year warranty doesn't cover parts? :bigeyes:

Hoky said:
Well, my experience is that Canon and Sigma calibrate the lenses for free during warranty. However if the optics or any other components is damaged in any way, you will have to pay for the parts replacement. Only workmanship is free during the 1 year warranty.

You'll know you need calibration when you are lacking details in your pictures due to poor focusing, back / front focusing... etc.

I don't think they will do a thorough clean while calibration. In fact, it could be worst as the labs are just normal air conditioned rooms and are filled with equipment, other lenses... etc. You may end up getting more dust in your lenses.

Depending what kind of parts. I guess they'll only replace the driving mechanism since they tend to wear.

Optical elements are expensive stuff. Don't think Canon will change them for free.
I know Sigma don't.

Canon does charge $21 for the cleaning, was there on Tuesday and after the cleaning still had dust as they were just renovated. Got them to clean again.

jeryltan said:

Canon did not charge me for sensor cleaning, but I get mysterious scratches on the body after the cleaning... :confused:

Hoky said:

Status
Not open for further replies.