Do you sell stock photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hangel

Sep 25, 2009
Singapore
www.isyndica.com
I'm looking to meet people who shoot microstock or stock photography in Singapore.

If you do PM Me please.

Cheers

Thank you both of you - I work for iSyndica. We are a Singapore based online startup and we've built a platform for stock photographers to distribute their images to several agencies.

However, I'm not looking to sell the service to you guys (hence why I tried to remain discreet above) rather looking for people I can talk to and get feedback from as we improve the platform.

Check it out at http://www.isyndica.com/tour if you want a better understanding and PM me if you are interested in helping us.

We sell stock and we looked at iSyndica as a way of streaming our workflow. However, given the number of images we produce in a month, it is not cost-effective for us to do it.

Hey guys would like to hear what kind of % each stock company offers per sale.

Also recommendations of stock companies to sell through? There are quite a number and I'm just wondering which ones have good reputations in terms of getting sales.

Hey guys would like to hear what kind of % each stock company offers per sale.

Also recommendations of stock companies to sell through? There are quite a number and I'm just wondering which ones have good reputations in terms of getting sales.

iStockPhoto/ShutterStock are the top 2 players in the field. ShutterStock recently imposes a 30% US tax withholding for sales from US customers by contributors from non-treaty countries (eg Singapore). If your sales are mainly from non-US customers, then the impact is very small, if the chunk of your sales are from US customers, then the impact is significant.

ShutterStock gives me the most, followed by iStockPhoto and Dreamstime, but to maintain good sales at ShutterStock, you need to upload new photos periodically in order not to get 'buried' deep down. :)

iStockPhoto is most strict in their photo review. Their model release is also the most stringent.

In terms of %, all the sites have a hierarchy system. The new members get the least. as you progress, % will go higher. For example, at ShutterStock, you start with 25c, then 33c, then 36c (I think). Some sites also offer a different (higher) rate if you are exclusive with them.

hope it helps a bit...

Last edited:
thanks for the info
reason I'm asking is because I was recently approached by a big stock company but they are based on the US and having to deal with the withholding tax seems like a waste of money.

Which stock agencies don't have to deal with this? Does Getty have this problem (they have an office in Singapore right?)

iStockPhoto/ShutterStock are the top 2 players in the field.
ShutterStock recently imposes a 30% US tax withholding for sales from US customers by contributors from non-treaty countries (eg Singapore). If your sales are mainly from non-US customers, then the impact is very small, if the chunk of your sales are from US customers, then the impact is significant.

ShutterStock gives me the most, followed by iStockPhoto and Dreamstime, but to maintain good sales at ShutterStock, you need to upload new photos periodically in order not to get 'buried' deep down. :)

iStockPhoto is most strict in their photo review. Their model release is also the most stringent.

In terms of %, all the sites have a hierarchy system. The new members get the least. as you progress, % will go higher. For example, at ShutterStock, you start with 25c, then 33c, then 36c (I think). Some sites also offer a different (higher) rate if you are exclusive with them.

hope it helps a bit...

thanks for the info
reason I'm asking is because I was recently approached by a big stock company but they are based on the US and having to deal with the withholding tax seems like a waste of money.

Which stock agencies don't have to deal with this? Does Getty have this problem (they have an office in Singapore right?)

Matt - I recommend reading the following post. It'll help

http://www.isyndica.com/blog/2009/9...g-photos-and-illustrations-on-microstock.html

Getty is not microstock. iStockPhoto is (and they are owned by Getty).

Status
Not open for further replies.