Do you select AF point for moving object like street performance?

rocketatw

Jan 15, 2010
normally for street performance like universal studio parade, i will use a fast lens and set to Aperture mode, AF On and Centre focus point.

But at times we wants the focusing point to be at left or right which i sometimes manual select the AF point first and snap when the subject comes into my frame. yes, this method works, but not always as sometimes you may miss the shots after taking few secs selecting the AF point. The question is are there better ways to capture such image?

Anyone using other methods? i also try using Centre AF and turn on face priority, but sometimes it will not detect face correctly. Seeking more opinion from bro here. Thanks in advance.

Being a noob, i tend to use centre focus point and crop later to the right framing. Is more pp intensive, but lets me get the shot.

I normally will focus using center AF then recompose. I've tried other AF points on my cam for such shots, but only if the subject is not moving very quickly and there is enough light to focus.

btw, sometimes (many times) when I use other AF points, I will forget to change back to center AF, resulting in missing some shots, which is quite the reason why I chose center AF most of the time.

Last edited:
manual focus! sure win.

the missy above me is right... manual is good. I tried street photog awhile ago using full manual, managed to focus in a sec or less using it. But how you fare is another story..

Of course, there's also the movement tracking AI Servo or whatever your cam calls it, if yours has it. It's not v accurate for me, though my cam have tons of it, I never use it. Otherwise just use manual way.

AI servo did nothing for me. :( my equipment is not good enough. (I'm back to using kit lenses to shoot )

Not an issue. It all boils down to how prepared you are for the action, and how familiar you are with your gear.

No matter what focusing mode you use, you can get the shot

stop down your lens to f/11 sure bet you can focus easily... if not, your camera have issues...

stop down your lens to f/11 sure bet you can focus easily... if not, your camera have issues...

I'm sure Ts uses fast lens for a reason.

Shizuma said:
I'm sure Ts uses fast lens for a reason.

:)
Just to ask, what lens are we talking about here... 35 f/1.4, 50/1.4, 85/1.2. 300/2.8? Different FL diffrent working distances. The thinner the dof, the more likely to be OOF... less likely to get a decent shot... especially on moving subject...

I chose 35L

normally for street performance like universal studio parade, i will use a fast lens and set to Aperture mode, AF On and Centre focus point.

But at times we wants the focusing point to be at left or right which i sometimes manual select the AF point first and snap when the subject comes into my frame. yes, this method works, but not always as sometimes you may miss the shots after taking few secs selecting the AF point. The question is are there better ways to capture such image?

Anyone using other methods? i also try using Centre AF and turn on face priority, but sometimes it will not detect face correctly. Seeking more opinion from bro here. Thanks in advance.

Depends on the AF points mode you use for the situation at hand. Cameras like 7D can set focus areas.
3280_af_modes_anim.gif

Most cameras centre AF point work better with f/2.8 lens while the more higher end models use cross type for all the AF points. Centre AF point is what i use most of the time when the action is unpredictable and action packed.

Manual focusing is also good option just that if cannot get the picture right, cannot blame the camera already. Manual focusing takes a lot of practice but when you do get the hang of it, can "focus" just about anywhere in any situation as well as be able to use classic manual lens or even Zeiss lens.

Last edited:
Here's what I do (YMMV):
Keep AF at center point. In the second or so that it takes to raise the camera to the eye, you need to be familiar enough with the controls to feel for the controller, decide which point you need, and quickly punch it enough times to get there. It helps to have a mental picture of where all the points are. Starting out at the center means its a fixed number of taps to get to any AF point.

On my Nikon, there is a custom setting to press the middle to return the focus point to the center. Once done with shot, just hit center button.

Soinds more complicated than it really is. With enough practice, this becomes second nature.

rocketatw said:

I uses zone focusing method by pre determine a certain distant which your subject will be in. Set the focus to that distance. Wait for your subject to get into the zone of the depth of view, compose and wait for the correct moment than shoot. I think this method is the fastest and work most of the time.

Hi TS. I do not know whether did answer your question. For moving object, I will set to AF-C (continuous) for stationary object I will set to AF-S (Single). I never set to AF-A(Auto). Hopes that help. :)

Why is it easier to focus with f/11?

F11 has a wider depth of field as compared to f1.4 or f1.8

When the DOF is thin on f1.4, a slight shift will cause the main subject to be thrown completely out of focus

Why is it easier to focus with f/11?

It's not easier to focus, it's just that the DOF is so deep that everything will be in focus (if the initial focus is set correctly..)

manual focus! sure win.

Yup, if scared move here and there - stop down your aperture for a good DOF to play with. Use center AF to focus on the person's face. Snap 1 pic, blow to 100% check for sharpness. If good, change to manual focus and start snapping, adjust the focus via focus ring if need be.