Do you review every shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shodan99

Nov 5, 2004
For DSLRs, do you all review every shot that you take? Issit a bad habit? :embrass: I feel like switching the picture review function off on my D70 so that I will force myself to learn from my mistakes more effectively.

I sometimes feel that the depending on the picture review makes for lazy shooting. I feel that this leads to more trial and error than recongising the lighting situation of the particular scene.

Shodan99 said:
For DSLRs, do you all review every shot that you take? Issit a bad habit? :embrass: I feel like switching the picture review function off on my D70 so that I will force myself to learn from my mistakes more effectively.

I sometimes feel that the depending on the picture review makes for lazy shooting. I feel that this leads to more trial and error than recongising the lighting situation of the particular scene.
I realised that if you shoot then review all the time, it makes photography not that fun anymore because you blindly shoot without any considerations. I turned my review off. Tried to make it feel like a film camera. Only in dire situations then I'll turn the review back on. :)

thats one advantage of a DIGITAL slr mah... if not if switch off like that, why get a DSLR? under usage of its full function lor i think. wouldnt it be more cost saving if u want to learn it the hard by moving to the slr level?

Shodan99 said:

When shooting IR most definately as it is all one big experiment to me.
Otherwise not often. The LCD doesn't tell too much anyway.

Shodan99 said:

yap, it's a bad habit to review EVERY shot you take. only if white balance is tricky or EV bet bright and dark area too wide than I review to adjust settings.

Have fun shooting :)

jonlou said:
thats one advantage of a DIGITAL slr mah... if not if switch off like that, why get a DSLR? under usage of its full function lor i think. wouldnt it be more cost saving if u want to learn it the hard by moving to the slr level?
As what the others have said... It's a bad habit to review every shot after taking... Do you learn photography by snapping away, then review, then 'Aiya, crap shot', erase, then shoot again? Where the art in that? :think: ;)

only review those critical shots

if u want to hone real skill then shot film

I have already decided to switch off picture review... I agree with Pablo that the small little LCD screen dont really say much. Besides, this I hope will make me remember my common mistakes and not to repeat them next time.

Another point is that it will make me look forward to post processing my pictures at home. ;)

user111:

If I were to shoot film, then I will have to shell out some money for a film body.. But with current empty pockets, maybe later. I will definately shoot B&W if I have a film body.

Ma na wu eng... review = 2s = miss a moment. :D

I only review the first 2 to 3 shots in order to adjust and get a correct exposure. Other than that, I will only review like what Snowcrash mentioned. i.e. when the lighting suitation is tricky.

I can't preview all the shots coz I am still using a manual film camera. It trains the confience wif my judgement and skills rather than relying too much on electronics gimmicks.

XXX Boy said:
I can't preview all the shots coz I am still using a manual film camera. It trains the confidence wif my judgement and skills rather than relying too much on electronics gimmicks.

Good on you. :thumbsup:

reviewing after each and every shot is a waste of time and bad habit.

personally i leave it on... if there's no need to look then don't.

i do check esp when it's and impt shot.. or i shot it and i felt at that moment that something has went wrong. for me my camera flash an auto review which is quick enough for me to not miss moments.

XXX Boy said:
I can't preview all the shots coz I am still using a manual film camera. It trains the confience wif my judgement and skills rather than relying too much on electronics gimmicks.

Pros:
you don't have white balance to worry about, only how long it takes you to change a new roll of film.

Cons:
you can't download straight to your pc for posting or sharing with others as fast as those using DSLR.

Not for every shot. you don't have that much time sometimes.

i use the LCD for a couple of things....check histogram, overall look and feel, zoom in to check if everything is in focus.

after a while, you roughly can guess whether it's a good shot or not.

the LCD review is a technological wonder. Like what jonlou said, why ignore it?

forgot to mention....instant gratification (i.e. you get to see the shot without waiting for prints!) ;)

Snowcrash said:
Pros:
you don't have white balance to worry about, only how long it takes you to change a new roll of film.

Cons:
you can't download straight to your pc for posting or sharing with others as fast as those using DSLR.

You are right! :thumbsup:

Shodan99 said:

You can't shoot effectively by reviewing every single shot. However, the LCD is there for a purpose, use it judiciously and it can help your photography significantly.

As to the folk who slam the use of technology in aiding good photography, I guess they advocate that all airline pilots should switch off their autopilot devices so that they can improve their flying skills? The technology is there, and will get better and better. Just embrace it and learn to use it properly.

Cheers,

As an aside--->http://soccernet.espn.go.com/headlinenews?id=321084&cc=4716

The sports world were dead set against the use of technology/instant replay for the longest time to aid umpires in making decisions. That has changed significantly in the last 5-10 years. Its an imperfect analogy, but sentiment for the "old way" of doing things should not be an impediment to the judicious use of technology.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.