Do you remove your UV filter when you use a polariser?

You remove your UV or not when using a polariser?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Verre Vrai

Some do and some don't. Why?

vignetting when using wide angles becos of stacking.

increased possibility of flare becos of more pieces of glass infront of lens.

Some remove to reduce image from degrading. Every filter you stack will degrade the image. If you need to stack then use pro filters which cost 2 to 3 times more.
A lot depends on yourself, if you are happy with the picture from stacked filters go ahead and stack!

I don't use UV or skylight filters unless it's really required.

Most polarisers vignet at wide angle when stacked with the UV becoz polarisers are thicker than other filters. Remove the UV if that's an issue, else you can prob just leave it there.

If I am using a tripod, I wouldn't mind taking some time to remove the UV.

Else if handheld or I'm in dusty environment, I just add the CPL to the UV and remove it right after use :p

Do UV or skylight filter degrade image? or is super hmc the only solution? cuz I"ve read books where the author swears by not using anything other then polarisers, says even the focusing accuracy maybe be affected by UV or skylights.

As I said earlier on, any filter will degrade a photograph. To what extend it depends on the make of the filter and the filter maker. If base on you experience you can't tell then you can happily carry on taking pictures with a protective filter (usually UV or skylight).

Filter affecting focusing? Well I never got affected, maybe this is in reference to special effect filters.

Yes, I remove it. Stacking filters lead to problems like vignetting. Besides, additional optics can only degrade the image quality, however minor.

i hv to remove it cos at wide-angle the vignnetting is obvious even before i take the shots...

Use either one. Minimise flare and image degradation and vignetting.

One reason I stopped stacking the polariser on top of the UV (or vice versa) is that it is a pain to separate them afterwards. They don't unscrew easily - for me.

I'll remove the UV filter if I have one on.

Im surprised that the poll results indicate a split opinion.
This is suggestive of poor professionalism and utter disregard for photo quality :thumbsd:
At the end of the day, its the photographer that makes the pictures

Last edited:
yes...later hard to remove if stack..also wide end got vignetting

Status
Not open for further replies.