Do you record serial nos. of your equipment?

Do you record serial nos. of your equipment?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
Just wondering, since most of us had invested in quite a sum of money into our photographic assets, do you keep a record of your equipment serial nos.? This is in case that they get stolen (touchwood!) and at least it could help in tracing attempts. Or maybe you own an identical lens with your friend, maybe when out shooting with him u accidentally swap with him and find out how come ur lens suddenly start backfocusing (ok just kidding :bsmilie: )

I haven't done so yet, but intend to start an inventory of my equipment serial nos. soon. (esp. the cam bodies and lenses)

hmmm...Maybe I should do what you've suggested. Not that my friends can't be trusted......

Cheers,

insurance requires that i do it anyway. But CPS has on file all my equipment as well.

Garion said:
I haven't done so yet, but intend to start an inventory of my equipment serial nos. soon. (esp. the cam bodies and lenses)

Do it before it gets stolen. In two incidents (1986 / 2002) I had a total of nearly 100,000 AUD worth of camera gear stolen. In both cases I had a full set of serial numbers as well as photos of all the equipment to hand over to the police. Sadly in both cases almost nothing was recovered.

My recommendations:

Spreadsheet for the serial numbers, also list *every* accessory you have regardless of having a serial number or not.

Photograph all your gear, to get a shot of your camera if you only own 1 body use a mirror. In particular make close up shots of any distinguishing marks, locations of serial numbers if they are obscure (eg: some Nikon lenses).

Burn the whole lot on to a CD and make a couple of copies. Keep one copy yourself, give one to your uncle/aunt, parents, best friend etc, as long as the person doesn't live with you. This second copy is incase anything happens to your copy (eg: it's stolen).

Print a hard copy or two of the list too and keep it with your other important papers.

Cheers,
Ian

I personally do since all my gear is covered by insurance. I find it also helps especially if you trade a lot and don't use each piece very frequently, or at all. I record other bits like price paid, date bought, condition, included accessories, who i bought it from etc... the database makes for interesting reading on a rainy day.

nps keeps a record of all items of theirs you own. so i guess i could go there and find out if i loose anything...

The serial numbers are written on the warranty cards.
My Nikon D70 got stolen recently and I realised I hadnt copied the serial number from the camera body. Then I checked my warranty slip and found the serial number there. Both for body and the lens.

Not that it helped recover my camera. Still police had something to put in their files...

My serials are stored in a Excel spreadsheet and also a copy in my PDA. The stuff like date bought, warranty cards, are always kept in my item's individual box that came with it. So that whenever I need it, I know which box to look at. :)

Garion said:
Just wondering, since most of us had invested in quite a sum of money into our photographic assets, do you keep a record of your equipment serial nos.? This is in case that they get stolen (touchwood!) and at least it could help in tracing attempts. Or maybe you own an identical lens with your friend, maybe when out shooting with him u accidentally swap with him and find out how come ur lens suddenly start backfocusing (ok just kidding :bsmilie: )

So troublesome.
One day i will have energy to do it. :sweat:

if stolen, 1 in 1 million chance of getting back. having record of serial # no use.
can label your initials on lens prevent confusion with others

As I buy most of my gear from where I work. Serial numbers are always registered.
Other than that, I photograph the items along with the serial numbers.

Too be shure too be shure.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.