Do you really need a dry cabinet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Difter

Apr 22, 2007
Yishun
www.kelvinzhao.net
Hi guys,

Just starting to get more serious into photography and am wondering, is it really necessary for a dry cabinet? Can I keep my SLR and lens just in a normal cabinet? Would it really be so harmful for the camera and lens?

Cheers.

it's really important esp. with the singapore weather. small investment for expensive equipment. No fungus means higher resale value for others. :thumbsup:

Hi guys,

Just starting to get more serious into photography and am wondering, is it really necessary for a dry cabinet? Can I keep my SLR and lens just in a normal cabinet? Would it really be so harmful for the camera and lens?

Cheers.

No need to ask anymore ........... go and get your dry cabinet now!!! :nono:

No need to ask anymore ........... go and get your dry cabinet now!!! :nono:

Wah.. So fierce~ Yes sir. I guess I shall get one then.

Hmm.. 1 more newbie question (don't want to start new thread, later like i spam threads),
how often is it needed to maintain the lens? Like cleaning it and stuff.

Cheers.

Wah.. So fierce~ Yes sir. I guess I shall get one then.

Hmm.. 1 more newbie question (don't want to start new thread, later like i spam threads),
how often is it needed to maintain the lens? Like cleaning it and stuff.

Cheers.

If the lens has dust and not affecting image quality, it's up to you to have it cleaned or not. Me, I'll just leave it alone. But fungus is another story.

Probably you'll ask next is the camera body. When the sensors are dirty just send it to your friendly service center and they'll have it cleaned for you. If it's stil under warranty, cleaning is free. :thumbsup:

Singapore humidity around 70-90%.
I think digi-cabi, have new model AD95 (95L) selling around $238.
Also thinking to get one as well. more info can check at http://www.digihub.com.sg

Hi Difter,

welcome to ClubSnap.

A dry cabinet is important if you hardly use your camera. I had once left my camera in a bag (w/o silicon gel) and not in a dry cabinet for a couple of months. Luckily got no fungus. I think if you use your camera often enough, then you can do without the dry cabinet. But i still feel that it's safer to get one. Better to be safe than sorry. Once there's fungus on the lens, no matter how clean you managed to clean it, the quality will never be the same. You can get your dry cabinet at Digital Point (Suntec City) or Carrefour. Prices between these 2 shops are about the same and they do provide delivery. :thumbsup:

Galdor, i left mine in my camera bag without any silica gel for over a year and fortunately no fungus too.

what you need is a dry environment. need not be a dry cab, you can start with air tight boxes with silica gel first if on a tight budget. if you're cash strapped and lazy, then go ahead and pamper yourself with a dry-cab.

Galdor, i left mine in my camera bag without any silica gel for over a year and fortunately no fungus too.

:bigeyes: Wah, over a year? So have you got a dry cabinet already? Better be safe than sorry. Come to think of it. It's wiser to invest in a dry cabinet which cost a couple of hundreds of dollars rather than let your few thousand dollars gears risk infected with fungus. No more worries since I got mine. :bsmilie:

Having fungus is like a time bomb. We can't see it now and it a slow buildup of the fungus on the lens. Currently you may feel no need to get a dty-cabi but as time goes by, composition of fungus is slowly building up. Come one day when you wanted to use ur equipment, realise got fungus... that's it.

Just my thoughts. Better to be safe than sorry...

Hi Difter,

welcome to ClubSnap.

A dry cabinet is important if you hardly use your camera. I had once left my camera in a bag (w/o silicon gel) and not in a dry cabinet for a couple of months. Luckily got no fungus. I think if you use your camera often enough, then you can do without the dry cabinet. But i still feel that it's safer to get one. Better to be safe than sorry. Once there's fungus on the lens, no matter how clean you managed to clean it, the quality will never be the same. You can get your dry cabinet at Digital Point (Suntec City) or Carrefour. Prices between these 2 shops are about the same and they do provide delivery. :thumbsup:

i think it really depends on where u leave ur cam bag. if its in a room air conditioned 24/7, should be ok, since its pretty dry.

i use my cam every week. going thru 1k+ shots each time and i still got fungus cos i was too lazy to take my stuff out and put in my dry cabi

so i dun think its sound advice that just cos u use often u dun need to take care :)

the answer is no, if your stuff gets used almost everyday.

I've got a Vivatar 24mm wide angle lens with fungus growing inside, because for the past few years I never bothered to store it in the dry cabinet. So yeah, I think I do :D

It is important only if you don't want extended problem in the future like fungus problem.

Fungus problem will make you:
- Spend your money to clean the lens/camera.
- Your lens will not the same as before anymore, quality degrade until some may say it is mat good for special effect lens.
- You wasting your time to bring your lens/camera to clean, wasting your time can't used your lens/camera.

Regards,
Arto.

the answer is no, if your stuff gets used almost everyday.
you sure? I know ST and LHWB photogs use their stuff everyday so they got no chance to go into the dry cab. They got fungus infections in many of them.

you sure? I know ST and LHWB photogs use their stuff everyday so they got no chance to go into the dry cab. They got fungus infections in many of them.

You guys are scaring me into getting a dry box. =(

But I'm thinking; if I take out my gear everyday to use, dry box or not, it's exposed to moisture more than it is in the dry box, haha.

But ok la, just pay small $ to get peace of mind. At least even if got fungus it's not my fault! :thumbsup:

You guys are scaring me into getting a dry box. =(

But I'm thinking; if I take out my gear everyday to use, dry box or not, it's exposed to moisture more than it is in the dry box, haha.

But ok la, just pay small $ to get peace of mind. At least even if got fungus it's not my fault! :thumbsup:
You can thinking to use your gear everyday now, but later...??

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.