Do you put a dehumidifier in your camera travel bag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
As above

nah, jus leave it in your dry cabinet. unless you have an airtight camera bag that wont require frequent opening n closing. dun worry my friend. the camera would rather stay out of the bag during travelling :)

oh i do have small amounts silica gels in very small ziploc bags poke with tiny holes in my luggage hahaha

Assuming that while travelling your camera is always taken out of the bag, exposed to the sun etc, I don't think fungus has much of a chance to grow ;P

Useful?? Since the bag is not air tight, go figure out

Hard to say...
Its not air tight, but its enclosed, limits air flow, and traps a small pocket of air in itself.
Take for example the movement from air con room to outdoors. The lens fogs up.
Aircon room > outdoor > air con room (does not seem to fog up)... or maybe I've not been noticing enough :think:

Same thing with the thirsty hippo in the cabinet preventing fungus/mould on clothing.

Been thinking recently if its worth doing lately..

Hard to say...
Take for example the movement from air con room to outdoors. The lens fogs up.
Aircon room > outdoor > air con room (does not seem to fog up)... or maybe I've not been noticing enough :think:

What make you think dehumidifier can solve the temperature change problem?

Come on...

If you just happen to have some silica gel and you just need to put in your bag then just do it, if purposely go to buy, no need.

What make you think dehumidifier can solve the temperature change problem?

Come on...

No not temperature change of course. But absorption of moisture within that air pocket inside the bag.

Someone send this to question to Myth Busters :D

Cameras are to be used, not stored unless you are a collector. Collectors don't bring around their cameras all the time in their bags unless they are training themselves by weight-lifting. When cameras are being often "exercised", fungus dun grow. If you are bringing your cameras overseas for trips, as long as you are using them daily, they dun grow fungus. Well at least that works for me for years and I've never had a lens with fungus as long as I use them. But if you store a lens in a dry cabinet not used for years, fungus wont grow but your lens might still get FOGGED. That's due to chemicals/glue in between the lens elements causing a chemical reaction within because the lens has not been moved("exercised") for too long a time. So, bottomline is sell those stuff you dont use and let those who appreciate them get a chance to use them OR lend your unused lenses to buddies for them to "exercise" them for you every now and then. See? Lenses are not meant for museums but meant for real shooting photographers!

Few points to know. Agent dryers (silica gel, calcium chips) needs time to dry an area, so simply zip and open won't do any help. If you have done your experiment, a 20L box will full load of moist item takes 2 day at least. Soggy item will take more unless your chamber has fan blowing.

Thirsty hippo packs are good for luggage where you are to keep your dirty cloth for a longer period. 1 pack in the worn clothing will keep them from smelling.

If you are going for an extreme long trip back packing, spray the interior of the backpack and shoes with a fine layer of Lysol (now Dettol). Keeps the fungus at bay for a while.

u use the camera bag when travelling, not for storing the camera over long period... so i don't see the need....

Well...i throw in a hakuba antifungicide packet into my bag and leave it there...

Status
Not open for further replies.