Do you prefer EV Comp or AE Lock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
In tricky lighting conditions when the camera's metering is fooled, do you prefer to:

1) Use the AE Lock button and take your metering off the correct area?

2) Adjust using the EV Compensation?

3) Adjust your exposure settings (Shutter/Aperture)?

I am interested to know, especially for events shooters where things can be fast moving.

I prefer to use (1) myself, because when I used (2), I often forgot to switch back (when the events moving fast) and sometimes my photos following that shot are a bit darker or brighter.

Headshotzx

Dec 14, 2007
Punggol
Fast event with changing light, and I'm not using flash in Av mode: EV Compensation
Fast event with changing light, and I'm using flash in Av mode: FEC Compensation
Normal event with rather consistent light, with / without me using flash: Manual mode

I've long replaced the * button on my canon, supposedly used for AE lock, for autofocus.

Last edited:

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
1) Use the AE Lock button and take your metering off the correct area? Use this for one off incident.

2) Adjust using the EV Compensation? Shooting at same saturation for a period of time

3) Adjust your exposure settings (Shutter/Aperture)? base on the above I guess you are shooting with A, S or P mode, how do you adjust exposure setting when you are not in Manual mode?

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
1) Use the AE Lock button and take your metering off the correct area? Use this for one off incident.

2) Adjust using the EV Compensation? Shooting at same saturation for a period of time

3) Adjust your exposure settings (Shutter/Aperture)? base on the above I guess you are shooting with A, S or P mode, how do you adjust exposure setting when you are not in Manual mode?
#3 is assuming if you shoot in M mode of course.

dision

Mar 25, 2008
Depends. Got enough time to recompose use spot metering then AE lock. Not enough time or lazy, just EV +/- and see histogram. But ultimately I dun like holding on to * button for more then a few mins.

Last edited:

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
Ok then I mention now. Ready... go! :

#3 Switch to M mode.

:bsmilie:
why would u wanna waste a perfectly good piece of technology?
use P-mode, then use AE lock (hope your camera has a dedicated button for AELock).
It's so friggin convenient (and fast)

Apr 15, 2008
Singapore, east-ish
use P-mode, then use AE lock (hope your camera has a dedicated button for AELock).
haha!

It's more convinient for me to spin the EV comp. dial thou :bsmilie:

but yea, manual mode will cost you a few seconds ( which you may not have =x )

sjackal

Jul 9, 2008
Cannot consider it a waste of tech, but rather different people different styles and preferences and also different situation different needs.

I am not a P mode shooter, (used to though, when using compacts.)

There are things you can't do in P mode and you need A or S or M.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom