Do you photoshop your photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunas

Dec 19, 2006
Singapore
FOr me it is only some.

Do you think that Photoshop your photo is no a pro photographer should do?

Before:

DSC00773.jpg

After:
DSC00773a.jpg

News flash...... pro photographers are actively engaged in post editing of their work be it using photoshop of other means. To some, its not a "should or should not" concern, its a MUST.

News flash...... pro photographers are actively engaged in post editing of their work be it using photoshop of other means. To some, its not a "should or should not" concern, its a MUST.

So what kind of technique do they use to enhance the image quality?

Any good website to share?

Increase sharpness, color contrast,.....

Thank You.

Hi lunas,

put it this way...

In the old days of film cameras, people used lots of filters for effects (eg: soft focus, colour filters, etc...). Then comes darkroom methods (eg: sepia toning, dodging, burning, etc...).

Now, all that is done using PhotoShop.

The way I see it? No difference. PS is just way easier, and less messy than darkroom procedures.

Bernard

P.S. : Of course, I still have use for some of my old filters like the Polarizer and Star-burst ones....

I agree to the general replies on this post. PS editing like cropping, modifying saturation, hue, etc.. is acceptable and has been part of photography even before the days of computers. Therefore, it is generally accepted by professional photographers.

What I find that is not acceptable by pros is digitally adding objects to a photo. For example, in a picture competition where beaches are the subject, a photographer who inserts trees and a beatiful sun to his bare sand and sea picture will generally be seen as cheating.

Of course the above is still not a hard and fast rule. There are times when it is still acceptable to digitally add objects to your picture. This is when contest rules specifically allow it and in general photography like in weddings and print ads where the intention is to enhance the picture-- not to deceive the audience.

In summary, feel free to use PS editing but remember to use it for the right reasons.

Hi,

my view is, whether you see photography is arts or mere fact recording process. In the perspective of arts, using software to enhance the effect is a must, same spirit as the conventional darkroom. To me, photography is arts, & I used a lot of post processing. :D

Hi,

my view is, whether you see photography is arts or mere fact recording process. In the perspective of arts, using software to enhance the effect is a must, same spirit as the conventional darkroom. To me, photography is arts, & I used a lot of post processing. :D

Any website that teaches how to do it with PS?

Thank You.

Thank You.

Hi lunas,

just pop down to your local book store and purchase a PhotoShop guide book by Adobe.

There are quite a few and it depends on what sort of effects you wish to achieve. There is even a "Classroom" version of the book.

Bernard

Post processing is dependat on your personal style and how you want to deliver your vision. You can goole for plenty of free PS tutorials to teach you the basics. The best way is though experementation to find your own style...

post processing of images are now widely accepted, as long as certain guidelines are in check. these may include no compositing of a/an subject/object that was not there into the picture or vice versa (removing of subject/object that was in the picture).

to myself, as well as many out there (i believe), post processing should be used to enhance an image, not create it. the various photography techniques such as composition and lighting still apply..

this topic is actually very old. i believe if u do a search u will see the replies of those who previously discussed it.

Thank You.

You can try Total Training for Photoshop, it's video tutorial and very easy to learn. However, the tutorial is for photoshop, so watch it to know how to use PS. Then you will know how to apply for a particular effect.

If you already know how to use photoshop, just go to a book store, browse some books on photoshop for photography, you would be able to pick up the tips easily without buying the book :p.

You can also look for ebooks on Photoshop for photography, quite useful also.

FOr me it is only some.

Do you think that Photoshop your photo is no a pro photographer should do?

are you asking this because you want to follow what the pros do? or are you planning to go pro?

ask yourself - what is your desired outcome when you click that shutter?

go out and shoot more. as you develop your own style, you will realize the answers for yourself.

shoot jpeg + irfanview = good enought results for hobby folks. fast, easy, simple, free of charge.

I am newbie.
IMO: PS is not a must and should avoid if necessary. Why? If everyone ps their photo, then you guys should not be concerned of the the body or even lens (in a certain perpective)....because u can always ps your photo (sharpen...control the color...etc) and save the time by not learning contrast, exposure, ISO anymore when taking photo...or just learn about composition or posture will do as it cannot be 'ps' easily for a newbie like me...

Again this is opinion...No hardfeeling.

I am newbie.
IMO: PS is not a must and should avoid if necessary. Why? If everyone ps their photo, then you guys should not be concerned of the the body or even lens (in a certain perpective)....because u can always ps your photo (sharpen...control the color...etc) and save the time by not learning contrast, exposure, ISO anymore when taking photo...or just learn about composition or posture will do as it cannot be 'ps' easily for a newbie like me...

No hardfeelings but its really a misconception to think that PS can fix every single mistakes committed during the shot. Post editing in PS is a integrated part of digital photography that brings out the potential of an image. It is not used to fix badly taken pictures. Contrary to what you think, a photographer requires a whole bunch of photographic knowledge before he can post edit properly. Mind you, I'm talking about those who's living depends on it, not weekend warriors.

ps is more for special effects and to rectify slight flaws in photos

no offence, but ur example images just says one thing:

photoshop can't save a bad image.... i guess it was just an example but still...

to address ur question, post processing is a must for me, becos i only shoot in RAW. it has to be converted at least, and that requires human intervention, if i let the convertor do default settings i would shoot in jpg, same thing, since i convert to jpg.

for selected images i will then proceed to use photoshop.

so as for photoshop itself, no not every shot needs to go thru it.

Assuming 1 minute to edit 1 photo.

Assuming a day's shoot gives you 600 photos. How many minutes would be gone editing them through PS?

I am newbie.

well u are entitled to your opinion but perhaps if you are more well-informed your opinion will change.

have fun in the information gathering. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.