Do you own a Digital or Analog dry cabinet?

Do you own a Digital or Analog dry cabinet?

Results are only viewable after voting.

wizz747

Feb 27, 2010
Singapore
Hi all. I'm going to buy a dry cabinet sometime this weekend or next week. But I'm not sure if I'll be getting a Digital or Analog one.

Can you indicate if you own a Digital or Analog dry cabinet in the above poll please? Other newbies also will be able to base their decisions on this poll.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Read this about the differences: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=481380
If both create the same dry air .. what is your concern?

Lol was creating a poll while you replied.

I want to see which one people mostly use. It is my concern because I won't have enough time to go calibrate and stuffs. I may be away for some period of time while leaving my DSLR at home. That's why I need a Digital one.

Last edited:
Lol was creating a poll while you replied.

I want to see which one people mostly use. It is my concern because I won't have enough time to go calibrate and stuffs. I may be away for some period of time while leaving my DSLR at home. That's why I need a Digital one.

You don't need a digital one just because you're going to be away for some period of time. I'm using an analog one and it hasn't moved more than +-2%. The only thing about the analog one is that you have to put in the effort to calibrate it when you first get it.. :)

have a analog cab with digital display too.. now it hovers at ~45% RH, no need to tweak further

Analog for me. Cheap and functional

think everyone wants a digital cos it's easier to read and think it's more accurate. if cost is a concern go for analog

The "calibration" took me 2 days, never touched the dial since then and never had more fluctuation than 4%. Perfectly fine and no need to panic even if 5%. Nothing to worry, really. Put your stuffs inside, watch the hygrometer for 6h, change the settings, watch .. even if the RH goes to 60% or drops to 35% .. never mind, adjust and watch. Your camera can stand much more than you think :)
And finally, don't get blinded by 'digital' - that's nothing but the display. The same cabinet can also come with an analogue scale. Important are only the two operational concepts as described in the link.

Last edited:
If that's the case, then there isn't any concern if you leave home for several days.

Currently using the 50L, prev using the 30L. Both are analog.

As most have already mentioned, For the first few days, you will need to monitor how much do u turn the dial to...
Initially when u first got it, it will be ard the 4 or 5 o'clock position (mine came that way, nt sure about the rest). It took me around 4-5 days to adjust it right (cause i only check every 12 hour and at times only once a day)

So my final position of the knob is around the 1 o'clock at 40-45% rhd.

You may see some fluctuations when the room or environment temperature dips or rises. but mine still maintain at 40-45%
After getting it right, i have never touch the knob again.

:)
The slight pain of the initial checking and adjustment doesn't warrant the extra $ needed for the digital one (for me that is)

Don't have the assumption that having a digital hygrometer will mean your reading is correct.

I have a stand alone digital hygrometer, and my former dry cab (digicabi 50L) also had a digital hygrometer. The digicab one is always lower than my stand alone one.

When I decided to upgrade to a bigger dry cab, I went for the 150L Akarui, with analogue hygrometers. All the numbers seem out of whack (The analogue ones from akarui reads 10% higher than my digital stand alone one). To be sure, I did the salt test on all my meters. The digital stand alone one is actually 5% lower than actual. And the analogue ones 5% over. So I adjusted the analogue ones to read the actual. The section of the dry cab where I store my camera equipment, I also placed my standalone digital hygrometer. 2 meters, to be sure, just in case.

So do not assume that the hygrometers that come with your dry cab is accurate all the time. Do the salt test to make sure.

Last edited:
I just upgraded my 38L aipo to 88L aipo one. Its good, took only 6 hours for such a big size to go down from 90% to 45%. Set once and forget. And the price diff is actually not very much. Bought at $290 from Ms Mok from mass sales. Do a search there. comes with LED light (can be turned on/off) and foam inserts and easily adjustable plastic tray. According to her, its an upgraded version that Aipo makes but still same price. $10 is for LED and plastic protector.

One advice is to go for as big as your budget can allow, so that you don't have to waste money like me to upgrade later.

25L Akarui Digi user. Now at approximately 40%, analog. :)

Hi all. I'm going to buy a dry cabinet sometime this weekend or next week. But I'm not sure if I'll be getting a Digital or Analog one.

Can you indicate if you own a Digital or Analog dry cabinet in the above poll please? Other newbies also will be able to base their decisions on this poll.

Thanks!

I have used both the digicabi digital 30L and akarui analog 23L. Both doesn't fluctuate much once it settles in at 40-45%.

While i was perceived the digital be better than the analog, surprising it took slightly more time than the analog to stabilise. I guess it boils down to the dehumidifier.

I personally prefer the analog display as its looks more cool - perhaps the digi display looks kinda 'cheapo'. Otherwise pay more to get the Aipo with better quality display.

23L fits comfortably for 1 body mounted with lens + 2 more lens and some hoods and filters. But if u kena bbb virus, get a bigger cabinet for long term use.:bsmilie:

About analog and digital hygrometer, it doesn't matter. Most importantly is good calibration of the meters.

Even if it's digital, it still will read humidity the analog way, just that this analog signal is converted to digital. So saying digital is more accurate is just not correct.

I took 3 days to set my cheapo cabinet, can be faster if I'm not working in the day.

Saw this post and I found it quite strange. I think there is a confusion here on what is analog/digital. To my knowledge, all dry cabs are analog where adjustments are by knobs. The difference is really the display only. If you have a digital or analog display, adjustments are the same. If you're expecting the adjustment on the digital display is faster, you'll be sorely dissapointed.

The concern really is the capacity. My suggestion to anyone who is going to buy a dry cabinet is to get the biggest you can afford.

Saw this post and I found it quite strange. I think there is a confusion here on what is analog/digital. To my knowledge, all dry cabs are analog where adjustments are by knobs. The difference is really the display only. If you have a digital or analog display, adjustments are the same. If you're expecting the adjustment on the digital display is faster, you'll be sorely dissapointed.

The concern really is the capacity. My suggestion to anyone who is going to buy a dry cabinet is to get the biggest you can afford.

Depends on system, if it's m4/3, the smallest one will do. Small camera, small lenses. I bought the smallest of 30L, make it to 3 racks and it looks empty with the camera, 4 lenses and flash.

own a digi-cabi 60L

Has a Digi-cab AD 50L