Do you often encounter this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sin77

Nov 28, 2004
Bright and sunny, I take out my camera from bag, open up the lens cap and realised there's alot vapour on the lens. Damn... again it's caused by the cold air in the shopping mall. I have to wait 2 mins for it to clear up. And my subject is gone liao! :cry:

Is this also common for you? What do you do to remedy or prevent it?
Even the back of the lens also kenna condensation. I dont dare to detach the lens from camera to prevent further condensation.

How huh????

Put your camera between your body and your jacket; your body heat will keep your camera warm.

When I am in the air-con area I will put the camera inside my bag before heading outside to the sun and wait for a few minutes before taking it out. But usually I will try to feel the camera inside to see if it is still cold then I will wait some more.

my bag is like an insulator, can keep the air cold inside bag.

Do you wear spectacles. There will be times when you align from the aircon bus or taxi and your glasses have heavy condensation. Not all the time but when the air is very humid, you will get then condensation.

Just give it a while in the open and the vapor will disappear. If you are using clear glass filter, rain-x will help. But use it this at your own risk.

nothing much to be done

you can try opening up your bag first to make sure that your camera surface is heated up

otherwise, if the difference is not too big , you can just quickly breathe on your lens front element, and wipe it with a microfibre cloth, the heat should equalise the temperature on the front element relative to surroundings quick enough to prevent condensation.

if the difference is really huge, your rear element can fog up too, i kena once before.

it is common and nothing much can be done meaning just have to waste sometime for it to clear. The common trick in photography guide is to place it in a ziplock bag or something similar but still i think it is something that we cant avoid.

yar man. this is very common just like people who wear spectacles. once they step out of a aircon area, their specs get condensation vapour on the lens.

one way is to keep the lens at room temperature which is keeping it in your shirt. HAHAHA. its sure works :D

Every time i leave a air-con place to somewhere warmer, i will open my camera bag slightly to equalize the temperature.

Bright and sunny, I take out my camera from bag, open up the lens cap and realised there's alot vapour on the lens. Damn... again it's caused by the cold air in the shopping mall. I have to wait 2 mins for it to clear up. And my subject is gone liao! :cry:

Even the back of the lens also kenna condensation. I dont dare to detach the lens from camera to prevent further condensation.

How huh????

Not much remedy. Throw in a sachet or two silica gel into your bag to absorb moisture. If you are not taking any picture in the mall then don't take them out of the bag.

Not much remedy. Throw in a sachet or two silica gel into your bag to absorb moisture. If you are not taking any picture in the mall then don't take them out of the bag.

you need a mountain of silica gel to absorb moisture from ALL THE AIR IN THE SHOPPING MALL

not in your bag

If you are in an air-conditioned room, ensure that your bag with ur lens is close at all times unless you are changing a lens.

How huh????

Happened to me recently in Siem Reap, Cambodia...... the A/C inside my room was set too cold. All my lens suffer from condensation problem :sweat: Had to sleep with the A/C off for the rest of my trip..... :bigeyes:

For transition between cold and hot air really nothing much you can do. Except for keeping the camera near your body or heat it before you leave the aircon area.
Which either way will require time. So try not to jump onto your target the moment you leave aircon area. Its a "Blindspot" so to say.

Try rain-x, prevents condensation.

Any idea if condensation is happening inside of the camera/lenses? This would be worse.

If outside, and I notice vapour on the lens, I'll just point it at the sun. It clears up pretty quickly.

you need a mountain of silica gel to absorb moisture from ALL THE AIR IN THE SHOPPING MALL

not in your bag

Please enlighten me. Why not put silica gel in the bag? I always put fresh ones in the bag everytime I go out so that the camera stays dry. If I'm doing it wrong, I would like to hear from you. Thanks Mate.

Please enlighten me. Why not put silica gel in the bag? I always put fresh ones in the bag everytime I go out so that the camera stays dry. If I'm doing it wrong, I would like to hear from you. Thanks Mate.

Different issues bro. The TS is talking about condensation due to cold lens, so unless you can absorb all the moisture from the surrounding area (not possible) silica gel will not help for this particular instance.

When you pull you camera out of the bag, if the lens tempature is a lot lower than the ambient outside tempature, there will be vapour condesation on the lens. This is irregardless of how much silica you put in your bag.

Status
Not open for further replies.