Do you need to drive that rush?

BBTM

Nov 23, 2004
BB West
I didn't drive for at least, 5 years (as my parking coupons also expire liao, haha!) till recently, I rented a car and I stick to 60km/h or less on minor road, depends on traffic ahead. I always leave a few car length (habit and that's why also kenna cut in by other) I send my mum n my nephew/niece and I saw other over take me. I told my mum, what is the point to drive so fast as I could meet them at next traffic light. True enough, I did and I don't have to brake some time as I could just move on when the light is green.

Another near miss accident when I going straight, a taxi makes a right turn and out of sudden, stop in the middle of the road cause of cyclist "crossing" (never leave their butt from the seat) the road. I manage to brake before the crossing line but if I am at 70km/h, I might hit the taxi (and thanks to those two cyclists). The taxi should make sure no more crossing before turning and my side, if I rush, I will get involve in an accident.

After these 3 days of driving, I feels that local road no longer safe with so many vehicles and every one rush like mad. Safety first, even at Mandai road, clear ahead, I still maintain at 60km/h else TP ask me go back drink kopi, haha! :bsmilie:

So you are the road hog causing the jam and hectic take-over manoeuvrings of all the cars behind you? Ok, kidding. Well, mainly ..
Let's face it: 60km/h might be the official limit. But apart from the usual speed check areas nobody gives two hoots about this. 70+ is rather normal now. In my observation, people here do not take speed limits and other measures as something to make the traffic safer. The general mindset is not there (yet?) or will never be there since even the driving centers are obviously incapable of teaching correct behaviour.

So you are the road hog causing the jam and hectic take-over manoeuvrings of all the cars behind you? Ok, kidding. Well, mainly .. Let's face it: 60km/h might be the official limit. But apart from the usual speed check areas nobody gives two hoots about this. 70+ is rather normal now. In my observation, people here do not take speed limits and other measures as something to make the traffic safer. The general mindset is not there (yet?) or will never be there since even the driving centers are obviously incapable of teaching correct behaviour.

My instructor taught me to gently depress brake when approaching junction then accelerate slightly after passing it. Not sure if that's a common practice but i had actually avoided collisions because i do that sometimes. Don't see people doing that anyway.

If didn't remember wrongly, if no sign on what the speed limit, the limit should be 50km/h? So you are speeding at 60km/h on some minor road.. ;)
.. kidding.

Nowadays road is getting more crowded and more dangerous. Rushing like they are having stomachache and urgently need to find toilet, switching lane dangerous, turn anyway they like etc. Sometime feel more relax taking public transport (provided no breakdown)

I been told that those red light camera, not only do what it does but also got another function. Which is catch those speeding across over 70km/h (not so sure abt the speed but that's what I remember) That's why I keep an eye on my speed, one mistake, kenna summon. :(

Another precaution which I took, look out for cyclist at pedestrian crossing when I making a turn. They can just dash out, esp at zebra or when the light is blinking. I look left/right a few times before close to the crossing.

As long minor road, not more than 60km/h. You can survive an accident but you also might take out someone precious life. Plan ahead in time n drive safely.

I been told that those red light camera, not only do what it does but also got another function. Which is catch those speeding across over 70km/h (not so sure abt the speed but that's what I remember) That's why I keep an eye on my speed, one mistake, kenna summon. :(
I have serious doubts about that based on the installed cameras and the sensors on the road (which are quire obvious). It would be a good starting point if those red light cameras already installed would actually work as they should. I see people beating red lights as they fancy and nothing happens.

I have serious doubts about that based on the installed cameras and the sensors on the road (which are quire obvious). It would be a good starting point if those red light cameras already installed would actually work as they should. I see people beating red lights as they fancy and nothing happens.

Saw report quite while ago that some area are fitted with new red light camera that come speed trap... 2 in 1. One of my father's friend being "flashed" before.

http://transport.asiaone.com/news/wheels/story/new-cameras-trial-catch-red-light-rogues

Someone posted video clip where camera flashed even when it green light (someone speeding)
https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10151476371976071

Just image our drivers driving at the speed limit and keeping the number car length TS stated. We will never get home or reach work on time.

In a congested city like ours, you can't follow the book. I was in Scotland early this year. Driving in the country side, this is always possible and a joy. When we are in town, things changed to suit the situation too.

I am not advocating speeding but just because you are within the speed limit, you can drive slowly? please don't hog the road. Be considerate for those that need to catch up an urgent appointment. If you are in no hurry, just stay to the inner lane and follow the bus if there is no bus lane. Best to drive during off peak.

Just image our drivers driving at the speed limit and keeping the number car length TS stated. We will never get home or reach work on time.
In a congested city like ours, you can't follow the book. I was in Scotland early this year. Driving in the country side, this is always possible and a joy. When we are in town, things changed to suit the situation too.
I am not advocating speeding but just because you are within the speed limit, you can drive slowly? please don't hog the road. Be considerate for those that need to catch up an urgent appointment. If you are in no hurry, just stay to the inner lane and follow the bus if there is no bus lane. Best to drive during off peak.
Sorry, this is a bunch of lazy excuses and a very shortsighted and selfish behaviour (which I am guilty of sometimes as well).
If you are in a congested city then speeding into the little space available is the least logical / reasonable thing to do.

I didn't drive for at least, 5 years (as my parking coupons also expire liao, haha!) till recently, I rented a car and I stick to 60km/h or less on minor road, depends on traffic ahead. I always leave a few car length (habit and that's why also kenna cut in by other) I send my mum n my nephew/niece and I saw other over take me. I told my mum, what is the point to drive so fast as I could meet them at next traffic light. True enough, I did and I don't have to brake some time as I could just move on when the light is green.

Another near miss accident when I going straight, a taxi makes a right turn and out of sudden, stop in the middle of the road cause of cyclist "crossing" (never leave their butt from the seat) the road. I manage to brake before the crossing line but if I am at 70km/h, I might hit the taxi (and thanks to those two cyclists). The taxi should make sure no more crossing before turning and my side, if I rush, I will get involve in an accident.

After these 3 days of driving, I feels that local road no longer safe with so many vehicles and every one rush like mad. Safety first, even at Mandai road, clear ahead, I still maintain at 60km/h else TP ask me go back drink kopi, haha! :bsmilie:

not to be blunt,but you may cause our already packed traffic to be more jam.
even though not in a rush but at least keep up with the traffic infront.
60km/hr at a few cars length is pretty wide gap,if the traffic is moving faster than u means that the gap will pull even wider,if i were behind u i would have overtake u too.

Last edited:

I don't hog road and I always at centain lane. If at outer most, been tailgate, I will move to slower lane. Bus lane also not for us, don't go in else kenna summon. I keep to speed limit only at minor road, other people life at stake too. Imagine a kid dash out of sudden n you can't brake in time. Just like my case, if I want to reach my friend house on time and speed up while approaching traffic light as I dont want to stop at red, I will hit taxi for sure as I trusted that he could make the turn before I reach. But cause of cyclists, he stopped n for me, will "kiss" him.

Can rush but do it on expressway, go up to 120km/h if you dares. ;p but minor road not for fun, traffic lights are there to prevent speeding else you might get more jam as accident always happened. When I learn to drive, at 4th lesson, instructor also says my driving skill is good liao. But due to panic at test, second time then I passed. :D

not to be blunt,but you may cause our already packed traffic to be more jam.
even though not in a rush but at least keep up with the traffic infront.
60km/hr at a few cars length is pretty wide gap,if the traffic is moving faster than u means that the gap will pull even wider,if i were behind u i would have overtake u too.

That's why I always at center. Can let other over take but TP behind us is for the person who overtake me as I still at 60km/h, safe limit n less fatigue on the brakes. Heh heh!

Btw, over here, I not speeding but when I at Italy driving Ferrari, I will be a speed demon! Beware! Heh heh! But only overtake when possible la. Safety first.

don't be too particular about the speed you are driving at,but just keep to the slower lane and leave a safe but reasonable distant from vehicles infront will be good enough. driving too slow doesn't mean it is always safe.

I don't hog road and I always at centain lane. If at outer most, been tailgate, I will move to slower lane. Bus lane also not for us, don't go in else kenna summon. I keep to speed limit only at minor road, other people life at stake too. Imagine a kid dash out of sudden n you can't brake in time. Just like my case, if I want to reach my friend house on time and speed up while approaching traffic light as I dont want to stop at red, I will hit taxi for sure as I trusted that he could make the turn before I reach. But cause of cyclists, he stopped n for me, will "kiss" him.

Can rush but do it on expressway, go up to 120km/h if you dares. ;p but minor road not for fun, traffic lights are there to prevent speeding else you might get more jam as accident always happened. When I learn to drive, at 4th lesson, instructor also says my driving skill is good liao. But due to panic at test, second time then I passed. :D
Ok, I'll ask the Commander of the Traffic Police Department (TPD) Assistant Commissioner (AC) Cheang Keng Keong to send you a special letter of commendation.

Last edited:
don't be too particular about the speed you are driving at,but just keep to the slower lane and leave a safe but reasonable distant from vehicles infront will be good enough. driving too slow doesn't mean it is always safe.

It's not that slow till I also fall asleep la. 60km/h on minor road also seem fast, some time hit 70km/h easily. I see bus faster than me, I shake head. No accident ok, got liao, all point fingers.

I went into a car park n if I still go as what I like, I might hit a toddler as the adult let him walk like no car. I horned at them then he faster pick him up as he also going opposite side n got cars coming.

But I still don't like to go town. ERP n parking can empty my cash card in minutes! Ha ha!

Last edited:
Ok, I'll ask the Commander of the Singapore Police Force (SPF), Traffic Police Department (TPD) Assistant Commissioner (AC) Cheang Keng Keong to send you a special letter of commendation.

Already got a lot liao, till no space for it. Ha ha!