Do you need a neckstrap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

viceroy666

Jul 22, 2004
And how many times do you use it? And any good and comfortable third party neck strap for heavy camera?

Let's discuss

And how many times do you use it? And any good and comfortable third party neck strap for heavy camera?

Let's discuss

I use a handstrap most of the time. Only couple it with an Optech neckstrap once in a while when I got both my hands w/ other stuff. (My original Canon neckstrap gives me a lot of stress)

If you don't carry a bag, then use a neckstrap. Personally I hate neckstrap cos it lets the camera swing too much when you're in a hurry. If you have a bag, then go for a hand strap.
Previously when handstraps were unheard of, I would wrap the neckstrap around my hand till its fairly tight; much like a handstrap. Camera body+zoom lens+motor drive+flash+12 AA batteries = very good workout.

Neckstrap comes useful when I need to change lens...

if you make your neckstrap long enough. you can strap your camera around your chest. very comfortable. :)

I don't have a handstrap so I use the stock neckstrap all the time.
Even when my camera is on a tripod I still have the strap around my neck.
It saved my camera once when my tripod slipped off a slippery rocky ground with my camera on it.
:sweat:

i hate neckstraps too

handstraps were around for quite some time already (more than 10 years)

I know, problem was when I was in serious photography, it was during the 80s. And now becos of this comment, people can guess how old I am liao. Something I was trying my best to be discreet about

I own and tried both but now all dun want to put. Maybe because I'm too impatience as I switch my framing angle, view at a lot of angles, do a lot of setting changes on cameras and adopt many position to shoot. The neck and hand strap only gets in the way but of course I risk to drop the camera if I'm careless.

hmmm.. i hate neckstraps too. gets in the way alot.
but it serves 2 purposes:

1. if you're just walking around holding your camera, having a neckstrap on will prevent disasters when u accidentaly let go off it or someone/thing knocks into you.

2. it helps to secure your camera against camera shake if you wrap your arm around it.

just my 2 cents worth

regards,
jizeng

I seldom use neckstrap...

But of course somehow its better to strap it on rather than having a broken camera in the end...
Pros and cons...

neckstrap? maybe just 10% of the time... :bsmilie:
when im drinking or doing something else
as for changing lens, once you got use to it, neck or handstrap are both easy to change lens, but no doubt neckstrap will be slightly easier

most of the time the Nikon neckstrap is used as a wriststrap usually. i have an optech neckstrap that is used for the neck. optech is good. it supports the camera weight - not neck supporting the weight.

its good to have one lah, especially if u shoot with 2 cam. That is about the only time I fix them up. Else all personal shoot no neckstrap.

Nowadays I dun even carry my lens or camera anymore when out for a shoot. All thanks to a China old man I saw in Jiu Zhai Gou who got me this idea to let someone carry the stuff while u take your time to shoot leisurely. After all we are no longer pros and not earning a living using our cameras so in SG I just let my dog carry for me to save me the tiredness which often restricts my photo experience :cool:

most of the time the Nikon neckstrap is used as a wriststrap usually. i have an optech neckstrap that is used for the neck. optech is good. it supports the camera weight - not neck supporting the weight.

Where to get Optech?

Cathay sells it. Optech straps are really comfy and help take the weight of your equipment. Neckstraps IMO are good when you're walking around. I usually unsling my camera when I'm using it or walking only short distances.

If you don't carry a bag, then use a neckstrap. Personally I hate neckstrap cos it lets the camera swing too much when you're in a hurry. If you have a bag, then go for a hand strap.
Previously when handstraps were unheard of, I would wrap the neckstrap around my hand till its fairly tight; much like a handstrap. Camera body+zoom lens+motor drive+flash+12 AA batteries = very good workout.
I use both handstrap and neckstrap on my DSLR, as I find both useful. the neckstrap is useful if I am carrying too much thing in my backpack. I hang the camera around the neck to prevent my back from breaking. which also help balancing back and forth.

To prevent neckstrap swinging and lighten the neck load, I usually, cross the neckstrap over one arm/shoulder (plus the neck) when not shooting, so it can secure better and lighten the load.

Status
Not open for further replies.