Do you need a degree to enter the video business?

Danny92

Mar 1, 2016
Singapore
Will a degree in arts or filmmaking help you with your career?

Is it necessary to get a degree to enter the video business?

What challenges will you face if you do not have a degree in the video production arena?

Currently I'm considering for a degree. Would like to ask the view of people in this industry!

You don't need a degree to be a technician. however if you want to position yourself as more of a producer-level type, then it may probably help. note I use the word probably, because there are people who have indeed made it without taking degrees.

Depends on what you want to do.

More important than paper qualification is working attitude and the respect for others will take you far in whatever field you venture into. Good luck.

You don't need a degree to be a technician. however if you want to position yourself as more of a producer-level type, then it may probably help. note I use the word probably, because there are people who have indeed made it without taking degrees.

Will a degree be a great advantage if you wish to be a producer?

Depends on what you want to do.

More important than paper qualification is working attitude and the respect for others will take you far in whatever field you venture into. Good luck.

True. Thank you.

if you haven't had prior exposure to writing papers, research and doing proposals, then it might be a good place to start

Hi Danny92.

Speaking as someone who graduated from film school, I believe that it is up to the individual. For me, it was essential as it helped me realise what that I wanted to be an editor. School gave me the opportunity to try different roles and, through that, I focused on my strengths. To be honest, most of the knowledge I have now are self taught through problem solving during projects.

While working in the media industry, I have come across people who have no film background and are great at what they do. However, it did not come from talent alone. They had to have the discipline to analysis films and spend time understanding aspects of filmmaking like directing, editing and cinematography. It is definitely an uphill battle, but it makes the process more rewarding.

If you are willing, you can also spend some time as an intern and learn the different aspects. Experience in this industry brings you a whole lot further than a paper qualifications.

All in all, I don't think you need a degree to succeed in this industry. However, through projects, you know what your strengths and weaknesses are.

Will a degree in arts or filmmaking help you with your career?

Is it necessary to get a degree to enter the video business?

What challenges will you face if you do not have a degree in the video production arena?

Currently I'm considering for a degree. Would like to ask the view of people in this industry!

General consensus is that it's not necessary. BUT...knowing that the video business is very hard up for money, having a degree means you can push your roof higher. Some producers without degree I know climb all the way up to producer level, but the pay still stuck(depends on company too though).

If you're talking about production companies doing for broadcast tv, they tend to favor some people in terms of uni or institution. Some company boss's come from a certain background, they tend to also like their kind. Or they find the work attitude is better with a certain school, they tend to lean that way. With companies doing for TV, they do long form shows spread across a few episodes, so you need to pace your 'jog'. And a project(a show series) can stretch up to 3-4 months from pre-production to production and post(in-case you need to do pickup shots).

On the other hand, Producers dealing in corporate, TVC, industrial tend to need their degrees more because you can demand for more money from the get-go(interview). But it will stagnate for very long also, so just ask for the price you comfortable in from start. You will need to split yourself into alot of people most times to scrape money. But don't worry, most times, you wont be an editor, coz the set-up at most of these companies are either you are producer or editor(who will also be a shooter).

I was a film student from NP. Currently studying for a degree in multimedia while working, so I can widen my skillset to do other media too...coz if employers want degree, I have...employers want someone who can split themselves into 3 people also I can...and with that degree also I can use to ciao the industry in case it gets too lowball and saturated. Work in gahmen or what...

This is just my two cents.

Last edited:
Reactions: kandinsky
Not exactly. What you need is hardwork. A lot of hardwork. It also depends on what you want to specialize in. If you want to be DOP, you need to be technically proficient in handling a huge range of cameras. Directors requires empthay, creativity, psychology, and human managment. In additon, producers are needed to be meticulous, good multi-tasker, and being able to handle immerse stress. A degree is only a ticket. The rest is up to you.

I would be inclined to agree that it's not absolutely necessary. Most people I know who work in the industry tend to have a degree in a different field - literature, graphic design, communications, etc. But what they do seem to have clocked up is a lot of experience and references and an impressive portfolio. Word of mouth and client recommendations tend to go a long way in this business.

Best of luck! :)

It will help you to find contacts who have the same interest like you do. I think film-making is all about having contacts in the business. Alternatively without doing any degree, you can produce your own independent film and submit them into many film festivals.