Do You Like Richard Clayderman?

Do you like Richard Clayderman?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
no. but good for beginner though, cos it motivates them to learn.

Originally posted by reny
no. but good for beginner though, cos it motivates them to learn.

Yeah, beginners and early graders during my time (when Richard Clayderman was beginning to be popular) and everyone knew how to play Ballade Pour Adeline. Those who didn't always wanted to learn. :)

Regards
CK

He's classic! Remember the good old days back in pri school in the early 80's. I love his older pieces. Today, I think his record company Rock Records market him by making him play Chinese pop. Very cliche and money churning thingy. Boring after some time. Even the tunes of some of his popular English pops are very predictably arranged.

But beginners and those who don't know how to play the piano will still be attracted to him. Explains why he never fails to draw the young crowds and mothers who bring their kids along for inspiration whenever he plays here? For those who play and appreciate classical music, well, they think he's playing toilet music... all simple ting ting tang tang's on the keys.

Originally posted by David
He's classic! Remember the good old days back in pri school in the early 80's. I love his older pieces. Today, I think his record company Rock Records market him by making him play Chinese pop. Very cliche and money churning thingy. Boring after some time. Even the tunes of some of his popular English pops are very predictably arranged.

But beginners and those who don't know how to play the piano will still be attracted to him. Explains why he never fails to draw the young crowds and mothers who bring their kids along for inspiration whenever he plays here? For those who play and appreciate classical music, well, they think he's playing toilet music... all simple ting ting tang tang's on the keys.

Totally agree, his latest arrangements are crap at best. The originals were better to some extent. I can now identify a Clayderman piece after 3-4 bars, regardless of whether I've previously heard it. :)

Regards
CK

you only have to hear it once, then you'll have heard it all.

somehow he just has only one way of accompanying his tunes. always that that same arpeggio pattern, almost always in the same progression. Always the same old tricks.

Texture-wise he is very lacking, colour-wise insufficient. All contributed to failure to keep the interest of the discerning ear.

Try listening to this minor russian composer by the name of Sergei Eduardovich Bortkiewicz. His music were already out of print seventy odd years ago, and only certain archives have it. The last publisher of his work , D. Rahter has already stopped printing his music. Pianist Moritz Rosenthal has recorded his pieces before, and in the latest addition, Stephen Coombs has two albums dedicated to Bortkiewicz's piano compositions, recorded under Hyperion. The textural and colour differences stands apart from whatever RC plays.

Originally posted by Scriabinesque
somehow he just has only one way of accompanying his tunes. always that that same arpeggio pattern, almost always in the same progression. Always the same old tricks.

Hmm.... No one else has described Clayderman more accurately than Scriabinesque. 100% agree with him.

By the way, has anyone heard of Ernesto Cortazar? Any opinion? How does he fare as compared to Clayderman?

downloads.mp3.com/AAICQv29FQBBJL1EKQEYwARub3JtUAQAAABS.BcDAFEBAAAAUwEAAABUAQAAAAgAQyDVDT12kV6qL6cNwTQk8fxZAQP8/Napoleons_Exile.mp3

Well all have to be credited to Richard Clayderman himself. hahaha!!

Fourteen years ago I started listening to Richard Clayderman. Then my musical knowledge isn't anything compared to now. Sometimes I really hate myself for being what I am now, but I have to be thankful too, having to have so many opportunities to learn and opportunities to know.

To the not so discerning ear, it is pleasant sounding indeed.

To the ears seasoned with the complete sound palette of the piano, RC is a mass of grey. Grey and flat.

Originally posted by Scriabinesque
Well all have to be credited to Richard Clayderman himself. hahaha!!

Fourteen years ago I started listening to Richard Clayderman. Then my musical knowledge isn't anything compared to now. Sometimes I really hate myself for being what I am now, but I have to be thankful too, having to have so many opportunities to learn and opportunities to know.

To the not so discerning ear, it is pleasant sounding indeed.

To the ears seasoned with the complete sound palette of the piano, RC is a mass of grey. Grey and flat.

At the very very least, his earlier works (e.g. Ballade Pour Adeline, Lyphard Melodie, etc) aren't nearly as bad as his intepretations of pop songs, which are totally crap. Hey, those "nicer" songs aren't even written or arranged by him!

Seriously, he has gotten so bland, so repetitive in style, that I can identify his playing within 2-3 bars.

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

Seriously, he has gotten so bland, so repetitive in style, that I can identify his playing within 2-3 bars.

Seriously, to those who used to like Clayderman and now feel "betrayed" and "abandoned" by him, perhaps you should try Ernesto Cortazar.

Go check him out and let me know your opinion:

http://stations.mp3s.com/stations/115/ernesto_cortazar_archive_page6.html

i wonder how his music is still spreading around. go to yamaha at plaza sing. and you can hear kids play his songs in the showroom.

i remembered watching him on TV when young and also the piano teacher gave me a book of photocopied scores. hey, maybe all piano teachers photocopy clayerman scores for their students so they have something more "romantic" to play besides exam pieces!

i won't get worked up over hearing clayderman though an unfortunate result of claydermanism is hearing worse renditions of clayderman in music showrooms.

oh yeah, my neighbour practices clayderman from time to time! someday i should play my rag-time version of ballade pour adelaide really loud.

Wow, this is an old post.

Yeah, I've been to his concert 2 years ago. Whatz up?

Though some say it's elevator music, I find I still like his music. It's soothing. Some, especially those who are into hard-core classical piano, claimed nah, his pieces all "ting-ting dong dong" kind. Yet when I ask some friends who got Grade 8 in piano to play, they all fumble. Guess all of them studied piano like mugging for exams. Ask anything outside the syllabus and they go blur. I haven't heard "live" someone who can play them beautifully like Clayderman himself.

psyche said:
Wow, this is an old post.

Yeah, I've been to his concert 2 years ago. Whatz up?

Though some say it's elevator music, I find I still like his music. It's soothing. Some, especially those who are into hard-core classical piano, claimed nah, his pieces all "ting-ting dong dong" kind. Yet when I ask some friends who got Grade 8 in piano to play, they all fumble. Guess all of them studied piano like mugging for exams. Ask anything outside the syllabus and they go blur. I haven't heard "live" someone who can play them beautifully like Clayderman himself.

wah ... now then realised tat this thread first started last yr june ... :bigeyes:

West_ray said:
wah ... now then realised tat this thread first started last yr june ... :bigeyes:

somehow feel that many old polls (from one year ago) surface tonight....
why??? :think:

Status
Not open for further replies.