Do you leave your circular polariser on the lens all the time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

noobie

Jan 29, 2007
I feel really troublesome to mount and unmount the CIR-PL. So I only use it when I need it, and the rest of the time I dun use it one. :)

I only leave a UV filter on as the default. Leaving a CP filter on is utter nonsense.

CPL cuts down 2 stops of light (IIRC), and leaving it on would cripple your lens..

I NEVER leave it on.. i only mount it if i need to.. polarizer doesn't work in all situations, and sometimes u don't want that kind of effect anyway. The reduced light can also cause focus problems in relatively low light, and u have to unnecessarily use a slower shutter speed for your shots.

I used to use a circ-pol when I was shooting with my Coolpix. And even then, I'd rarely mount it. If you reasons for keeping it mounted is that you find it cumbersome to mount/unmount, then perhaps you are lazy. I was, back then. But after losing the shutter speed and thus losing the shot, I learnt my lesson.

That was back in 2003. I rarely use CPLs nowadays, preferring to get the shot right via camera control. It will only come in useful if and when I wish to cut reflections.

Most if not all photographers will only mount the CPL when necessary. It doesn't work in all situations and it'll slow down your lens.

:sweat:

this kind of question also ask

Do you always wear black sunglasses even indoor?

Regards,
Arto.

I feel really troublesome to mount and unmount the CIR-PL. So I only use it when I need it, and the rest of the time I dun use it one. :)

If you find it troublesome to screw on something that takes maybe 2 seconds if you take your time, and 4 if you fumble.. Then how? =D

But anyways, you should only use it when you need it what. If you shoot indoors need CPL for what? :dunno:

I tried various CPL including Nikon CPL2.....but never like it......maybe I donno how to use....so going to post at B&S soon :D

Maybe can invent transition lens :thumbsup:

Rofl, I laughed when I read this.. =D

Later don't want the CPL effect outdoors how? :bsmilie:

Then end up bringing one non-Transition edition of lens and one Transition edition.. In the end spend more $ than getting one normal lens and one filter.. Must also lug both lenses around. Hehe!

Ok, let me rephrase the question, a CIR-PL or a hood is better for reducing glare? Well, yeah I am a lazy bum :) I read from somewhere it says CIR-PL can reduce highlight on very sunny days. My main use PL is to saturate the sky for landscape shots,and that's it. Removing of reflection is not important for me. I guess I don't really need a PL then because saturation can be tuned in PS easily.

Ok, let me rephrase the question, a CIR-PL or a hood is better for reducing glare? Well, yeah I am a lazy bum :) I read from somewhere it says CIR-PL can reduce highlight on very sunny days. My main use PL is to saturate the sky for landscape shots,and that's it. Removing of reflection is not important for me. I guess I don't really need a PL then because saturation can be tuned in PS easily.

PS editing doesn't compare to the image you get out of your cam, simply put.

At least at this stage. How does a hood reduce glare? I thought it reduces flare only?

Don't be lazy. Read this:
http://dpfwiw.com/polarizer.htm

True PS can't reproduce cpl effect.

Regards,
Arto.

Maybe can invent transition lens :thumbsup:

Brilliant idea! Except CPL don't quite work the same way.

It is a bit cumbersome lah seriously, unscrewing UV filter, screwing on polariser, then unscrewing polariser then screwing on UV filter.. even worse if you are shooting with lens hood on. Although I do quite a bit of outdoor and landscape photography, I usually only put the CPL on when I know I will be out in bright sunlight with lots of sky and cloud shots to do, and it stays on until I go indoors.

Transition lens would be more like an auto-ND filter.

Brilliant idea! Except CPL don't quite work the same way.

It is a bit cumbersome lah seriously, unscrewing UV filter, screwing on polariser, then unscrewing polariser then screwing on UV filter.. even worse if you are shooting with lens hood on. Although I do quite a bit of outdoor and landscape photography, I usually only put the CPL on when I know I will be out in bright sunlight with lots of sky and cloud shots to do, and it stays on until I go indoors.

precisely my point! i broke one filter because of too much screwing action that i dropped the filter onto the hard floor and it was smashed.

Status
Not open for further replies.