Do you leave your batt. in ur cam when not in use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lumpyme

Deregistered
Mar 9, 2007
do u leave ur batt./CF/SD in ur cam (in the dry cabinet)? If you dun then what, re-enter the dates everytime u use ur cam?

I do leave the battery in my cam and I do not put my cam in the dry box. I will just leave it in my camera bag as I will always play with it every weekend. Even if it's just a couple of shots at home. :)

im assuming u got silica gel in ur cam bag... will leak not? u leave it in for so long

No silicon but so far ok leh. Sometimes, I will take out to play with it when i'm free also. So in a week it's like i'll touch it at least 2-3 times.

do u leave ur batt./CF/SD in ur cam (in the dry cabinet)? If you dun then what, re-enter the dates everytime u use ur cam?

what kind of cam are u talking about? some dslrs (at least i know canon does) have an extra small batt in the camera just to maintain settings and time/date.. so photogs can have no worries taking the batt out...

Do you need to re-enter the dates everytime you take yr batt out?? Wa then its time to upgrade your cam! :bsmilie:

D70S.. i tried taking out for a while the settings din go but i figured that might juz be a small capacitor or something to store the batt for a short while.. haha.. i have no idea thou

Hiee Pals...

It ios advicable to remove your batteries especailly those AA batteries in your flash. One time use batteries especially are prone to leak as there are some minute leakage current through the host system even at power down and left un used for long time. As for lithium Ion rechargeables batteries there is a shut down protection circuit that shuts the voltage to o when it reaches a preset level about e.g 2.6V. SO it should be okay to leave them in cyou host device but i think the safest is to tkae it out if you dont use it for very very very long time.

As for the date and time, most devices have super capacitors (super caps as you call them in the industry) that actually able to stroe some charge and functions as a back-up battery for RTC's (real time clocks) and keeps tha date. But as low cost products are developed and smaller caps are used, these caps may not be as large to hold for a long time so it means re entering your data and time if device is left without battery for a long time.

There may be time where re-entering date and time is needed whan there are internal resets that detects possible corruption in date and time hance promting user to re enter.
hope this helps.

thanks mate! so i can say that if im using it on at least on a weekly basis, it is safe if my batt is left in my cam ya?

i usually leave the battery INSIDE the camera when not in use.
this helps to keep the internal battery of the camera charged.
but a side note - i use my camera weekly.
if you are storing your camera for long periods, it's better to remove the batteries to avoid leak (just in case)

Oh, I do remove the batteries from my flash after use though. Don't want to risk the battery leaking and spoil my flash. For the cam, I think should be ok bah? Anyway, it's not like i don't power on my camera for weeks. I will at least touch it once a week. CF is always in my camera, think it should be fine too, right?

err... i think thats the qns im asking hahaha... i leave both batt and cf in but i use it more than once in a week...

CF is always in my camera, think it should be fine too, right?
OK, maybe on rare cases, but 2 of my contacts in a photography group (one is a 5D, the other is a 30D) practise the same thing you did (leaving CF in camera). One day, he bought a new CF card, but when he remove his old card from the camera, one of the pins broke! it was covered under warranty (USA though) but he had to be without a camera for a couple of days. Maybe he was just unlucky.

OK, maybe on rare cases, but 2 of my contacts in a photography group (one is a 5D, the other is a 30D) practise the same thing you did (leaving CF in camera). One day, he bought a new CF card, but when he remove his old card from the camera, one of the pins broke! it was covered under warranty (USA though) but he had to be without a camera for a couple of days. Maybe he was just unlucky.

Oops. I thought that if you keep inserting & removing it then the chances of breaking the pin is higher. :dunno:

Oops. I thought that if you keep inserting & removing it then the chances of breaking the pin is higher. :dunno:

Really dunno le... Just a story to share.
Maybe too long inside, and so corroded and fused the metal contact and the pin inside the camera?
Dun ask me! :embrass:

I left a set of alkaline batteries inside by SB800 and probably didn't use it for three weeks. By then, the contact plate had corroded and the flash no longer worked. I had to get a new contact plate. My advice is to take out the batteries if you are not going to use the flash over the next two or three days. I learned it the expensive way.

I left a set of alkaline batteries inside by SB800 and probably didn't use it for three weeks. By then, the contact plate had corroded and the flash no longer worked. I had to get a new contact plate. My advice is to take out the batteries if you are not going to use the flash over the next two or three days. I learned it the expensive way.

OMG, cannot keep alkaline batteries inside one. It will surely leak. Try the rechargeable NiMh ones next time. They're more reliable.

i tink if u r using the cam everyday or the very next day leave it inside nver mind but if you are putting it inside dry box or digi cabi i tink take out all batt safer.... might leak and tats a bad thing

OMG, cannot keep alkaline batteries inside one. It will surely leak. Try the rechargeable NiMh ones next time. They're more reliable.

if i'm not wrong.. nothing is reliable.. unless it's the Li-ion rechargeable types.. those have a chip inside to prevent over-discharge.. even then i wouldn't take the risk..

Status
Not open for further replies.