Do you keep your equipment in a safe?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamadam

Feb 9, 2004
Perth
www.flickr.com
Seeing as many have very expensive equipment, how do you keep it?
Do you feel it safe enough in a drybox alone?
How about in a locked safe :O

I was considering getting one that is bolted to the ground so that no one will run away with my equipment.

adamadam said:
How about in a locked safe :O

I was considering getting one that is bolted to the ground so that no one will run away with my equipment.

It's a good idea. I have a friend who uses one to keep all his Hassy equipment that he spent a fortune accumulating. He also uses a Dampp Chaser rod inside to keep the humidity levels low.

Have you read the most recent break-in cases? (There weren't any for quite some time, so you have to look a couple of months back)

The thieves always go for the safe first! They either break it on the spot or cart it off if they can. They always assume there's cash and valuables inside so they'll hit it first.

Think your stuff is better off in a dry box elsewhere. Thieves, esp. the foriegn kind prefer cash and valuables to camera equipment, which is hard to sell on the black market and bulky. Besides, unless he's a photographer, how would he know how much your stuff is worth? Whereas there's no need to figure out how much a rolex or a wad of thousand dollar bills are worth.

haha joke..
put a note in ur dry cabi..
if u are looking for valuables.. plz look under the bed..
den the theives sure break in c the note le.. go look under ur bed..
ur lens will be save...

I have one camera on on a shelf next to my office work table, and another one on the floor in a bag below my table.

no need to be so extreme lah..... there are endless possibilities of losing camera.... snatch thief, robbery or even in an unlucky event of falling into river.... just to name a few...

Yes, it's in my house. :p
Maybe I'll leave my room messy (my special 'system') then they can't find anything.
solarii - Sounds true, that they'll head for the safe first. I hope they'll give up on the save when they find they cannot move or open it! :O haha
ben77 - I'll also have a note on my gate "here is the key to my house" :p

I don't need a drybox here, it's dry enough :) hehe
So maybe I don't need a safe, just hide it somewhere.
OR hide the safe! :) haha

if you need a safe, buy a biggest which you can afford, or bolt the safe to the wall or ground, and also put the safe in a corner which have no room for people to use tools for force opening the safe.

How about rental a safe deposit box in bank? You need a large one :bigeyes: .

Regards,
Arto.

Get an insurance for your stuffs. Covers accidents and misplacing too.

Anyone can break into my house but he won't find my cameras and lenses.

I put them in Milo tins on the kitchen shelves.

Milo is the best safe in the world. It doesn't advertise its contents to the thieves. :eek:

catchlights said:
If it is in your house, is safe enough!
If your house can be break-into, nothing is safe.

Agrees totally. It is better that you spend your $$ on a better lock
or install a security alarm system. That is a better investment,
as it protects everything in your house and not only your equipment. :bsmilie:

Sion said:

I put them in Milo tins on the kitchen shelves.

. :eek:

Family members may throw away your costly camera and lenses, thinking they are throwing expired Milo. :bsmilie:

adamadam said:

Well this is spring cleaning time before CNY.
Beware the Karang Guni man.
Some act as "recce party" for housebreak teams operated by others.
They pretend to take the old item but actually survey your house for valuables and where they are kept.
Same for the LPG gas delivery men.

Actually wanted to give old chair to karang guni man.
He was not keen on the chair but quickly rushed forward to peer into my house eyes darting to and fro. This guy is S2 or scout platoon trained. Later he will write "intelligence report" for the house break party. Lucky I got nothing for him to see, as photo stuff out of his line of sight. :bsmilie:

do i need to? since the advent of the digital camera, mf equipment is now worth peanuts.

but no, i'm not selling my mf stuff for the time being since there is a possibility that nikon mf equipment may very well become collectors' items after 20 years...

Status
Not open for further replies.