Do you keep your camera On the whole day.

voice123

Jan 16, 2012
Singapore
Scenario is , when you go travel oversea. You feel like suagu and want to take snapshot while walking on the street.
Do you leave your camera ON and let it goes to sleep by itself
or
On it when you want to shoot after that Off it

or got other method to recommend

That is depends on how fast can your camera boot up.

if you are slow, and camera is also slow, than best you keep it on whole day.

depend on temperature of the country. gt once went to frankfurt its too cold to boot fast =x
having it in sleep mode will it drain battery fast?

The camera I use the most is always on. Even at home. I only turn it off when I put it in my dry cabinet once in awhile.

As for while traveling, it makes sense to always pack a spare anyway.

Last edited:
I always have my camera switched on. (Also due to the horrible ergonomics of the switch.) After 30sec the camera goes off and waking up just needs a tap on the shutter button. DSLR wake up in less than a second.
Do notice that even turning it off via switch does not mean a physical separation of power.

Last edited:
Even normal outing or shooting, will just leave it in sleep mode. Always have spare batt around.
Set the lcd off & when cam to go into slp mood to a time u feel comfortable.
Dun really like the idea of keep on/off frequently.
Unless maybe sitting down for rest where I myself wanted to go into "slp mood" for a break or having meal etc then will off it.

I try to remember to switch it off, but normally forget. So 80% of the time, it is ON. I normally find out that I should have switched off normally when picking up the camera for the next shoot wondering why it won't switch ON :embrass:

The power doesn't seem to drain when left in ON position... I don't know why also - but I normally recharge only after a few months of usage (I don't take that many pictures nowadays).

I tend to switch it off when not in use, but I see no issue (other than the obvious drain in power) to leave it on and ready.

Really depends on your camera startup time, battery life, temperature, reaction time, etc

I usually leave it on when doing regular photoshoots. Happened to me quite often when i'm ready to shoot and the camera was off, haha. Since 60d's battery life last me for almost 2 days while leaving it on, i've no issues so far. Nice thread :)

I've personally, left my cameras on most of the time unless I'm sure I'm not shooting; going to sleep, taking a bath. :p
but yes, if you're out traveling--just leave it on. adjust the timer to sleep to your preference and it should still last you the entire day. the part that drains your battery most is actually "previewing" right after each shot. you could save a little more by setting the preview to be a short one or none at all (this proved to be quite fun when doing street photography).

For DSLR, no harm keeping the camera switched on the whole day as long as the Live View is not activated.

Anyway, for DSLR as most have already said, boot up relatively fast, hence many switch off the DSLR when not in use and switch it on when shooting.

For Mirrorless, definitely no no. The system will heat up, and you sure can feel it. Battery drainage is high.

Cheers

Steven Yee

The question only makes sense if TS specifies the photo situations he is in.

For example, if he is on tour and out on the streets taking street life candid photos, then it makes sense to leave the camera powered on for the duration of the photo shoot. So that reaction time is minimised.

But once he is back in his hotel room to rest for few hours, then why would he want to leave the camera powered on?

is fuji x series consider Mirrorless camera?

is fuji x series consider Mirrorless camera?

Why do you post here? Anyway, most of the X series are mirrorless you can google each brand for more specs.

I've been using Mirrorless cameras & currently with the Olympus EM1 and EP5.

in short I leave them switched on when I'm out shooting and set it to sleep in 1 min of inactivity. Once moment comes , instantly ready to go.
But this isn't because of a slow boot up as there are many DSLRs with slower boot up timings, it's just that I don't like flicking the switch numerous times.

Once I'm back home or stopped shooting for the day , it's gets switched off. Reason being I don't want to make the stupid mistake of pulling out the memory card or batt while it's still switched on.