Do you keep all the boxes from your lenses purchase?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kernik

Nov 9, 2004
Do you keep all the boxes from your lenses purchase (receipt and warranty card excepted)? Why?

It never occured to me to dump the boxes but other family members are fighting for the same shelf space.

Would you buy a lense if the seller do not have the original box or do you encounter difficulty selling if you do not have the same? I guess the final transacted price would dictate?

So the main question is ......... what would the difference in price be? 5%? 10%

Do share your experience.

Do you keep all the boxes from your lenses purchase (receipt and warranty card excepted)? Why?

It never occured to me to dump the boxes but other family members are fighting for the same shelf space.

Would you buy a lense if the seller do not have the original box or do you encounter difficulty selling if you do not have the same? I guess the final transacted price would dictate?

So the main question is ......... what would the difference in price be? 5%? 10%

Do share your experience.
I don mind "boxless" equipment, but the lens/body itself must be in good condition and reasonably priced. but at the same time, having a box would be nice... at least feel more "complete" ;p

Buying a lens with the box makes it seem newer... it's just all psychological, but that's how humans work.
But if u actually think about it, box or not doesn't make a diff as long as the lens is in good condition.

I want to keep but my room is too small no place..after few months using the lens..if it is good I will throw the boxes it is because I buy lenses and never intend or plan to sell them in the future..:D..I love my lenses treat them much care better than my gf..:D..

I still kept all my boxes. In case i sell away lense i can give the new owner a full package back. After reading this, i might consider dumping some empty boxes. :bsmilie:

I still kept all my boxes. In case i sell away lense i can give the new owner a full package back. After reading this, i might consider dumping some empty boxes. :bsmilie:

Dumping? Come come dump to me so that I can start selling boxes to those whom feel "incomplete" without it. :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Just to see how much you have spent on your equipments when they are place in a row on the shelf. :)

I usually put small boxes in big boxes, fold them up squeeze them into corners..... anywhere but in direct sights of CFOs! ;)

Interesting. After buying and selling a number of lenses my empirical finding is that lenses that come with boxes are usually in better condition. Of course I have also bought excellent lenses without boxes although these would typically be very old manual lenses.

People who keep their boxes usually consider the possibility of selling the lens for a good price. And when they think they might sell it, they will try harder to prevent scratches and other damage that might lower the selling price.

So throw away your boxes for those lenses you will keep. But keep the boxes for those that you might sell, especially the expensive ones.

I as a buyer will always ask for the box even if I dun need it. The box will not help the lens to take better pictures, but that it is a sign that this lens might have received relatively better care. But dun just rely on the box, check the lens too. :)

I usually put small boxes in big boxes, fold them up squeeze them into corners..... anywhere but in direct sights of CFOs! ;)

Great advice! To the darkest corners they go....sunshine will fade the boxes too.:)

depends on the lens, price and how bad do i need it!! :D

not sold any lens yet, so giving u a buyers perspective only. Box = good to have but won't break the deal if the lens is good, rightly priced and buyer looks/sounds discerning enuff.

Cheers. :thumbsup:

i keep my boxes, not only for my camera and lenses.. even for handphone, mp3, etc... i only throw/give thrm away when i sell/give away the equipment or it's spoilt and i throw it away..

maybe that's y my mom's always complaining there's no space to put anything.. haha.. but it's much better to have boxes when selling things.. esp when u can tell people u got the complete set.. i usually just put boxes within boxes, or flatten them to save space...

Buyers from Clubsnap love boxes and packaging material.

I've had people try to push down the price of the lens down by 5% just because I didn't have the packaging. Crazy...

Buyers from Clubsnap love boxes and packaging material.

I've had people try to push down the price of the lens down by 5% just because I didn't have the packaging. Crazy...
So, next time you just sell the box without its unit to him/her, 5% from unit price :sweatsm: .

I remember my boss buy a camera in hong-kong, and they give without the box. They said you need to add extra for the box.

Regards,
Arto.

I keep all the boxes, egg-carton type of protection ends, plastic bags, (simply put it, everything that it came with) etc for all my stuff. I flaten the boxes and fold them flat to save space and to prevent the color from fading. Tag the other items and store them away.

You'll never know when you may need them again. If I decide to sell anything away, I rather let the owner have the 'When-first-purchased" feeling! :bsmilie:

I keep all the boxes, egg-carton type of protection ends, plastic bags, (simply put it, everything that it came with) etc for all my stuff. I flaten the boxes and fold them flat to save space and to prevent the color from fading. Tag the other items and store them away.

You'll never know when you may need them again. If I decide to sell anything away, I rather let the owner have the 'When-first-purchased" feeling! :bsmilie:
It will not help when the box come with styrofoam :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

It will not help when the box come with styrofoam :sweat: .

Regards,
Arto.

That I keep too! :bsmilie:
Box flattened liao, tag the foam and place them in a box with the other egg carton type of protection.

At least by doing it this way, it saves me much more space this way then retaining the shape of the boxes with the other packaging stuff in them. ;)

So, next time you just sell the box without its unit to him/her, 5% from unit price :sweatsm: .

I remember my boss buy a camera in hong-kong, and they give without the box. They said you need to add extra for the box.

Regards,
Arto.

That's a great idea! ;) Next time you see my post in b/s, it'll be "Add $50 for box" though I think this is only applicable for a resale. Did your boss buy the camera new?

Usually when I buy my camer equipments, I take all of the boxes. Then I flat them and put them somewhere safe. Also I keep their instruction in a special folder.
The only things that I throw away would be the bag of the shop that I bought those accessories!

Status
Not open for further replies.