Do you have problems with DSLR in extremely hot weather?

Reportage

Nov 24, 2008
Do you have any?

er... i once put my canon d60 inside industrial oven at 35deg c for 1hr, no problem after that. cant remember if i tried 37deg c, but very likely i did.

also put it in freezer too if u r interested to know.

iirc, i did both test (both without battery and cf card in the body) on same day.

Last edited:
er... i once put my canon d60 inside industrial oven at 35deg c for 1hr, no problem after that. cant remember if i tried 37deg c, but very likely i did.

iirc, i did both test (both without battery and cf card in the body) on same day.
interesting.

Last edited:
Nope. I've had my camera + lens out in the brightest hottest days (and you know how hot black-painted metal can get...) and it kept on working fine even though both got really darn hot! This was both in SG and in Bahrain.

Nope. I've had my camera + lens out in the brightest hottest days (and you know how hot black-painted metal can get...) and it kept on working fine even though both got really darn hot! This was both in SG and in Bahrain.
i know...just that have seen a couple of sport photographers do the oddest things to reduce/remove the heat buildup on their cameras. I wont say what in case it indirectly identifies them but imo, overall the camera looked more pro-like.

The Canon DSLRs often overheat when used for shooting video for prolonged periods. Using a battery grip can help this as the internal battery is one of the heat sources causing temperature rise. But in Singapore hot sun it is not easy to avoid the problem totally.

Never heard of overheating in still camera mode though. I suppose the sports photographers in question were probably shooting a lot in burst mode?

i know...just that have seen a couple of sport photographers do the oddest things to reduce/remove the heat buildup on their cameras. I wont say what in case it indirectly identifies them but imo, overall the camera looked more pro-like.

Video is a problem.... The sensor really wasn't designed for prolonged video use, so logically it suffers from heat issues.

had my D70 and D300 in 48deg (shade temperature) in Abu Dhabi, was walking around site with unprotected cam for a couple hours, no problem

There should be a range of temperature the camera is "workable" in?? :dunno:

Yes there is, but if you run a black camera in the hot sun for a long period there is a very high chance that the maximum temperature will be exceeded.

Incredible.. So what were you hypothesizing when doing those experiments? sensor crack? mirror crack?

anyway, tried shooting in 37-40 deg C before in thailand, camera lasted longer than me. haha

I have no problems whilst using it during the heat wave in Hong Kong and India.

in extremely hot weather you as a human will likely kaput first before the camera ......

Incredible.. So what were you hypothesizing when doing those experiments? sensor crack? mirror crack?

anyway, tried shooting in 37-40 deg C before in thailand, camera lasted longer than me. haha

i do it just for fun lar.

in extremely hot weather you as a human will likely kaput first before the camera ......

:bsmilie: guess it's the same with leaving camera inside car with hot sun.

+1

camera very hardy, sometimes they can get real hot when walking around under the sun for a while but electronics still works well for me. of course i dunno what exactly is extremely hot weather yet :bsmilie: maybe check with the japan users to see how the cameras were affected by the recent heat wave

ryan

Won't using for long exposure on a hotter day increase the number of hot pixel?

Last edited: