Do you have/need a backup cam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragos

Jan 17, 2002
Apex Circle
www.adamteo.net
For those who cover events or have assignments on a regular basis, do u have a backup cam with you all the time?

I do have regular assignments but the pay ranges from $100 to $300, still trying to justify the need for a backup cam..

How abt you guys?

Currently using a 20D.

shinken

Jun 9, 2005
Pasir Ris
colourdots.com
If I'm paid for an assignment, I would be expected to be professional, even if I'm doing part time. Cz end of the day, I'm responsible for delivering results.

Cameras being electronic stuff, i nvr know when they're gonna play me up. I personally would definitely hv a backup cam on paid assignments. digital or film. But that's just me.

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
no back up camera how can?

must bring brother, must bring.

i bring 2 bodies, 3 lens, 2 flash, 4 cam batt, 16 pieces of AA batt, no matter how much am i paid.:)

How would you explain to the client if your camera or flash breaks down?

Once I followed a pro to learn the ropes. He had a case full of spare Hasselbald, spare flash, spare sync cord, spare batteries etc with him.

Borrow a friend's body and flash as spares if you don't want to invest in them.

Spectrum

Jun 22, 2003
Here
Visit site
smurfman said:
no back up camera how can?

must bring brother, must bring.

i bring 2 bodies, 3 lens, 2 flash, 4 cam batt, 16 pieces of AA batt, no matter how much am i paid.:)
That's pro dude! This is the standard shooting gears you will need to bring whenever there's a job for you regardless big or small.:)

fotoudavid

Mar 11, 2005
Spectrum said:
That's pro dude! This is the standard shooting gears you will need to bring whenever there's a job for you regardless big or small.:)
and i haven include tripod or monopod etc.........

Adiemus

May 21, 2004
Small island....
2nd cam body is a definite must!!! Wah 2nd flash.... :sweat: Siong ah... but in my line of work, I hardly need flash, so still ok. :)

Astin

Mar 2, 2002
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
Even for studio shoot assignment, also need a backup, and to be kiasu, I have 2 sets D100s with exactly the same settings, just in case.

The alternative (read: cheaper) way is to find a buddy, or partner, and have a agreement that each one's camera will be the other guy's backup camera for assignment.

arttl

Jul 20, 2004
Planet PJ
www.flickr.com
Having a backup cam is like buying insurance. You'll never know when the cam is gonna play you out.

A cheap alternative is to loan a digi cam. D70 or even a S3 Pro. Think a few CSers doing some loans and not expensive at all. As to compare having the cam break down at the crucial moment.

Cheers,
Jon

catchlights

Staff member
Sep 27, 2004
Punggol, Singapore
www.foto-u.com
arttl said:
Having a backup cam is like buying insurance. You'll never know when the cam is gonna play you out.

A cheap alternative is to loan a digi cam. D70 or even a S3 Pro. Think a few CSers doing some loans and not expensive at all. As to compare having the cam break down at the crucial moment.

Cheers,
Jon
He is using a Canon and ask him to backup with a Nikon?:bsmilie:

dragos

Jan 17, 2002
Apex Circle
www.adamteo.net
okie okie....get the idea...:)

will start looking ard liao......aiming to get the 1dmkiin on installments...at least the assignments can pay for it...hopefully.

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
can get two sets of mid range body, one wide zoom and a regular zoom with 2 flash lights.

i bring an extra prime for wide and one 50mm.

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
dragos said:
okie okie....get the idea...:)

will start looking ard liao......aiming to get the 1dmkiin on installments...at least the assignments can pay for it...hopefully.

then you are charging too low liao.

poh6702

May 8, 2004
I wander what is the probability of losing the data in the memory card? does it happen to anyone before during an assignment:sweat: , because if this happen spare cam also can't help? How do you buy such an insurance:think: ?

You might need to alternate shooting with 2 cams??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom