Do you guys face such problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsbn

Jul 24, 2002
Planet Eropagnis
Sigh... Its pretty hard to actually do business or at least take on some jobs to earn some pocket money it seems.

How do you guys actually solve the problem when u offer your photography services to another person (who's not into photography) and this same person actually claims that he/she can find another photographer who can do the job for free with his 'few thousand dollar camera' and 'very professional cos he shoots film and just beginning to move into Digital'.

The big problem is that you can't risk offending your client.

What would you do? :sweat:

What I normally do is:

I will tell them to go ahead and hire that photographer, why look for me?

A more appropriate reply would be:

"It's ok then, I seriously don't think I can offer what the other photographer can, I wish you all the best then. *smile here and start packing*"

50% the clients are crapping, the other 50% just hopes that you will lower the price. My advice is stick with your integrity and your worth, you won't be happy working with the client even if in the end they sign you up. The strain is there. Ai pi ai qi ai tua liap, hehe...

sometimes i offer free service too as i am still not confident of my skills yet. if they are happy with ur effort, they might give you an ang pao.

just want to increase my own portfolio until i really decide to go professional.

staz said:
sometimes i offer free service too as i am still not confident of my skills yet. if they are happy with ur effort, they might give you an ang pao.

just want to increase my own portfolio until i really decide to go professional.

For me, I won't waste my time to shoot for free. :nono:
I would rather spend more quality time taking pics that I like best!

please tell them nicely that ok, thank you for your time, please engage yourself/ your friend to shoot. and start to walk off. Half the time, they will beg you to shoot if your fees are resonable enough or they do not have enough time. The other half of the time don't bother abt these ppl, be happy and confident of yourself.

i was once in your shoes but its like this you can't seem to please anyone and everyone so if you feel something nasty coming at you, just smile and walk away. This type of money i also do not want to earn, there is something called pride and usually these clients don't feed you well.

enjoy your day! :)

espn said:

"It's ok then, I seriously don't think I can offer what the other photographer can, I wish you all the best then. *smile here and start packing*"

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

espn said:
What I normally do is:

I will tell them to go ahead and hire that photographer, why look for me?

50% the clients are crapping, the other 50% just hopes that you will lower the price. My advice is stick with your integrity and your worth, you won't be happy working with the client even if in the end they sign you up. The strain is there. Ai pi ai qi ai tua liap, hehe...

ya...normally this is what i do so too......but sometimes the customers called back and i got hired by them which i dun really wish to ask them why. ;)
the moral of the story is sometimes 'stay and steady' will win the race. :bsmilie:

when the client first asks for the price instead of asking to take a look at your portfolio...that's when you know you are marketing your service to the wrong type of clientele.

in other words, don't bother competing with such 'photographers'. they will kill themselves off sooner or later.

but of course, i have nothing against people shooting for free for the purpose of building up portfolio. but not those who undercut the market.

jesser said:
ya...normally this is what i do so too......but sometimes the customers called back and i got hired by them which i dun really wish to ask them why. ;)
the moral of the story is sometimes 'stay and steady' will win the race. :bsmilie:

Normally, when they compare others with yours they're more or less interested in your works, but they're just el-cheapo, want cheaper/more FOC things.

Stereobox said:
when the client first asks for the price instead of asking to take a look at your portfolio...that's when you know you are marketing your service to the wrong type of clientele.
Exactly, for these kind, I try to end the conversation fast because these clients have already lost interests upon hearing the price. :)

Stereobox said:

in other words, don't bother competing with such 'photographers'. they will kill themselves off sooner or later.

but of course, i have nothing against people shooting for free for the purpose of building up portfolio. but not those who undercut the market.
Hmm... ic.

Times are hard and it seems that with cameras and SLRs getting cheaper and cheaper, substandard shots = good shots and good shots = ok lah, normal nia.

It might be alright for pros who already have an established client base, but might be a big headache for those who wanna make their foray into the line of freelance photography.

jsbn said:
How do you guys actually solve the problem when u offer your photography services to another person (who's not into photography) and this same person actually claims that he/she can find another photographer who can do the job for free with his 'few thousand dollar camera' and 'very professional cos he shoots film and just beginning to move into Digital'.

Wish that client of yours good luck and thank him/her for the interest in your works and RUN as fast as your little legs can carry you.

jsbn said:
Hmm... ic.

Times are hard and it seems that with cameras and SLRs getting cheaper and cheaper, substandard shots = good shots and good shots = ok lah, normal nia.

It might be alright for pros who already have an established client base, but might be a big headache for those who wanna make their foray into the line of freelance photography.

If they don't even take pride in their images. They're just in for money, so why worry for them? If they cannot get the deal so be it, it's not their staple income anyway.

If they're professionals, then different story.

jsbn said:
Hmm... ic.

if you want to accept this, fine, you end up with lots of this type of clients in the future.

Hmm.... not say I'm willing to go along with that actually. This kinda chao kuan ppl alot.

Its usually a big headache when ppl don't really know the diff between a good and a bad photo. They think "photos are photos. What's the biggie about what kinda paper, what kinda ink and even what kinda camera the person is using? All I want is juz sharpness. Why shld I pay $200 - $300 for a photographer when I can chin chai pay $50 to anyone using a normal camera?"

Sigh... Its hard to find someone out there who knows how to appreciate good things.

jsbn said:
Hmm.... not say I'm willing to go along with that actually. This kinda chao kuan ppl alot.

Its usually a big headache when ppl don't really know the diff between a good and a bad photo. They think "photos are photos. What's the biggie about what kinda paper, what kinda ink and even what kinda camera the person is using? All I want is juz sharpness. Why shld I pay $200 - $300 for a photographer when I can chin chai pay $50 to anyone using a normal camera?"

Sigh... Its hard to find someone out there who knows how to appreciate good things.
There are, trust me, I've met a lot of these 'someones'. I'm pretty glad (and I believe so are the pros) that there are people who do it for FOC/cheap, cos these are the ones that make the pros stand out.

espn said:
...... I'm pretty glad (and I believe so are the pros) that there are people who do it for FOC/cheap, cos these are the ones that make the pros stand out.......

Very well said!

Status
Not open for further replies.