Do you guys buy your camera related stuff from IT show?

Ignatius Yen

Dec 13, 2011
Singapore
I have already saved up my 1.5k so about to go buy DSLR however my mum is asking me to wait for the IT show. However I feel that it would be better to support the camera shops as their the one who would be able to give you their professional opinion and buying from them would make you know the salesman better so maybe better prices in the further? Im trying to convince her to view it from my pov and they think the free gifts would make a significant difference.

IT show is kinda expensive, they attract you by throwing bunch of freebies. I don't suggest you to buy there, there are a few well known shop at funan it mall. Check them out.

no. because the free gifts are crap & yes it is more expensive.

No, because every 3 months when there's one of these shows, at least 20 people ask the same question, and the answer is always "No, you're getting ripped off with worthless so-called freebies".

Remember please, it's an IT show, not a photography expo.

No, but on rare occasions (very rare) you can have good deals. For example, I recall that Pentax has had some good promotions at IT shows now and then. But you shouldn't be going to an IT show thinking that you're going to get a good deal. It is not a given, in fact, you should expect NOT to get a good deal.

My suggestion is to wait it out if you're worried... Find out from shops beforehand what the street price is, then go if you must, to check out the deals. Keep a clear mind, don't get swayed by salesmen telling you that the dry cabinet they give you is super good, or the tripod they give you is super good, or that they will give you 10 SD cards. Essentially, you should first assess whether you need the things in the package, and then consider it from the perspective that street price + price of ONLY the things that you actually need is greater than the package deal. Only then should you take the offer. Cheers.

I won't buy Camera or Lens during the IT Show... but High Speed memory cards and even tripod is ok for me.

Thanks :) Just gonna drop by and check the prices out before deciding.

no harm going there to have a look (if you don't mind the crowd) but do your homework first.

most of the time you pay RRP but get lots of "useless" freebies, but there might be a few good deals if you are lucky

I bought my 5D mark II from one of these shows. I paid the street price, got a Purchase-with-Purchase deal on lens+flash and also didn't need to pay extra for the 0% credit card installment. It was the last hour on the last day of the Show, and the manager was eager to close the deal

I bought my first DSLR from an IT show cos they threw in a "free" crumpler 6 million dollar home bag, a 50L dry cabinet, manfrotto 190probx tripod, additional 3rd party battery, nice Nikon recycled bags and a few useless stuff. Since i wanted the bag,tripod and dry cabinet,i decided to buy everything in one go. Buying separately will cost me (can't remember actual cost) around $20-$30 more.

Do your research first but the rest who replied you are right, IT show mostly not worth it. :)

I got a 10mp dslr from some it show years back...impulse buy ..not sure if I overpaid but didn't care much, just useful it..

Ignatius Yen said:
I have already saved up my 1.5k so about to go buy DSLR however my mum is asking me to wait for the IT show. However I feel that it would be better to support the camera shops as their the one who would be able to give you their professional opinion and buying from them would make you know the salesman better so maybe better prices in the further? Im trying to convince her to view it from my pov and they think the free gifts would make a significant difference.

Dont buy at IT show, but buy DURING the IT show in those camera shops.

Sometimes you can get a good deal at shows.

I got my Fujifilm f200 from comex a few years ago. Back then the price was still high as it was just released. Got it almost $100 cheaper with extra batteries thrown in free.

Sometimes it's better buying there, where the salesmen do not have extra "good and useful stuff" to add on for you to purchase.