Do you give hi-res photos of paid photoshoot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes when the amount warrants it.

provide the high res with a license contract, yes.
give? no.

I can't imagine why anyone wants to give a full set for free in a paid shoot (full res or otherwise). I also can't imagine why anyone will want to give any high res for free.

Nowadays, there was this thread where models even ask organisers to give photographers email so that model can bug photographer to give photos. Think it is topsy turvy liaoz...

In paid shoots, giving photos is a plus, not giving is a neutral. After all the model is being paid.

I think read in context, it should mean that the photographer paid to shoot. If someone pays him to shoot, obviously that someone will want high res.

Paid shoot. Meaning photographer already paid model for her services. Right? Then ...

NO!

If model wants the hi-res file so badly, she can buy it from me, and it cost a minimum of $500/file. :)

On occasion, I might give a 8x12 as a gift for a job well done, but never the hi-res file.​

To the TS

What is the purpose of this thread and also what it meant.

This is a photo biz thread, do you mean client pay you for a photoshoot which many would have assumed here. If this is so then this thread is also quite straight forward, you give what you are paid for in the contact. This is biz.

Paid shoot. Meaning photographer already paid model for her services. Right? Then ...

NO!

If model wants the hi-res file so badly, she can buy it from me, and it cost a minimum of $500/file. :)

On occasion, I might give a 8x12 as a gift for a job well done, but never the hi-res file.​

To DP

Clubsnap is more than just model shoot for heaven sake! This is a section on Photo Biz!

So pls stop your obsession with model photoshoot enough is enough!

Last edited:
In a word of fairness and objectivity, I had thought that he was referring to model shooting as well. DP's comments were also clearly prefaced that he was only referring to model shoots. I had thought that it was quite clear that in a commercial shoot, the photographer gives whatever he is contracted to :)

That said, since the TS's question wasn't quite that clear, I'm not sure why there is such an intense reaction though.

To DP

Clubsnap is more than just model shoot for heaven sake! This is a section on Photo Biz!

So pls stop your obsession with model photoshoot enough is enough!

In a word of fairness and objectivity, I had thought that he was referring to model shooting as well. DP's comments were also clearly prefaced that he was only referring to model shoots. I had thought that it was quite clear that in a commercial shoot, the photographer gives whatever he is contracted to :)

That said, since the TS's question wasn't quite that clear, I'm not sure why there is such an intense reaction though.

1. If it is model shoot it has no place here.

2.I have enough of ppl just going around making Clubsnap like model photoshoot is the main pre-occupation here.

I understand your frustration :) Perhaps it was just a long time of pent up steam but maybe could be released maybe at a better time

As I said, I also misunderstood that it was about model shooting hehehe :) I think hor, maybe let the TS come out and clarify what exactly he want to ask, and then we can all contribute better answers.

After your post, I'm now wondering if what he intended to ask is, whether commericla photographers give full res pics is a normal industry practice. As we know, in the past, wedding studios hold on to the negatives very fiercely, and only give prints. Perhaps what he wanted to know was something like that :).

Cheers! :)

1. If it is model shoot it has no place here.

2.I have enough of ppl just going around making Clubsnap like model photoshoot is the main pre-occupation here.

I understand your frustration :) Perhaps it was just a long time of pent up steam but maybe could be released maybe at a better time

As I said, I also misunderstood that it was about model shooting hehehe :) I think hor, maybe let the TS come out and clarify what exactly he want to ask, and then we can all contribute better answers.

After your post, I'm now wondering if what he intended to ask is, whether commericla photographers give full res pics is a normal industry practice. As we know, in the past, wedding studios hold on to the negatives very fiercely, and only give prints. Perhaps what he wanted to know was something like that :).

It is simple its all in the contract with the person/agency commissioning the shoot be it wedding, be it events, products, commercial etc.

Yup, I think most of us appreciate that.

But maybe he's just starting out and he wants to know whether it is industry practice or not. Say, a client came to tell him "Eh I want all Full Res", then he's wondering "Should I give? Should I charge more?" "Am I spoiling market". etc.

It is more about the stages of reaching the contract; rather than the contract itself.

It is simple its all in the contract with the person/agency commissioning the shoot be it wedding, be it events, products, commercial etc.

Model shoot, shooting a model, paying for the services, for non-commercial purposes, isn't that a business transaction between the photographer and the model?

Of course, everything will be dependent on the contract. If the contract said give, you give, if the contract did not say give, you have a choice.

That is how I interpret TS's intention for posing his question. At the end of the day, how to craft the contract.

Now that TS had brought this up, I need to incorporate this aspect into my model release/contract :)

provide the high res with a license contract, yes.
give? no.

What do you mean by license contract?
Do you mean a contract stating that you own the copyright or that the image can only be used for a certain period of time?

I can't imagine why anyone wants to give a full set for free in a paid shoot (full res or otherwise). I also can't imagine why anyone will want to give any high res for free.

In paid shoots, giving photos is a plus, not giving is a neutral. After all the model is being paid.

I do not mean give the photos for free.
It seems many have misunderstood my meaning, and I must apologise for not being clear. As I am totally not into model shoots, I forgot that many would misinterpret this as paying models to shoot them. What I meant was photographer gets paid to do the shoot. And this has totally nothing to do with models! Therefore, it is not giving away the photos for free. It's a matter of whether to provide low res or high res or full res photos.

Yup, thanks. That's what I was trying to ask. The normal industry practice, in particular, events.

Yup, I think most of us appreciate that.

But maybe he's just starting out and he wants to know whether it is industry practice or not. Say, a client came to tell him "Eh I want all Full Res", then he's wondering "Should I give? Should I charge more?" "Am I spoiling market". etc.

It is more about the stages of reaching the contract; rather than the contract itself.

Thanks again...
Yup, it's more about reaching the contract and what kind of terms I should include.

The business model has evolved over the past decade or so.

Last time, the photographer charges low upfront for services, and makes the majority of his sales from reprints, hence, like someone said, they will hold on to the negs very tightly.

Now, with digital photography, many/(most?) photographers will charge higher upfront, deliver the package in one shot, and that's that. This would include giving back all hi-res images on DVD-ROM. No need for after-sales follow through (selling extra prints).

However, the practice may differ for different branches.

Commercial photography, vs wedding photography perhaps?

Status
Not open for further replies.