Do you get stares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelmetBox

Sep 9, 2003
I'm a newbie with photography. The other day in school when I tried to do some 'streetshooting', I get stares from everyone around. I felt like a total outcast then....... Have anyone of you felt this way when you first started? Is it normal? How did you overcome it? :dunno:

HelmetBox said:
I'm a newbie with photography. The other day in school when I tried to do some 'streetshooting', I get stares from everyone around. I felt like a total outcast then....... Have anyone of you felt this way when you first started? Is it normal? How did you overcome it? :dunno:

i have the same feeling with you too.... and i decided to keep my camera... :cry:

just act nonchalant, have thick skin....be seen with your cam for a while but dun take picts....after a while...people will get used to it and ignore you...then you start taking all the pics u want.... :)

GitS said:
just act nonchalant, have thick skin....be seen with your cam for a while but dun take picts....after a while...people will get used to it and ignore you...then you start taking all the pics u want.... :)

seem so paiseh when they stareing at me... :embrass:

Hello,
Ya I also used to have this feeling.
But one good thing to realise is that in Singapore it is ok to be an alien.
Just be a bit thick skin for a while + it might help when people see your work and appreciate it afterwards :D
Actually I find it even worse when going overseas. I don't dare to take my camera out in the streets of KL! :sweat:

ticopi said:
Hello,
Ya I also used to have this feeling.
But one good thing to realise is that in Singapore it is ok to be an alien.
Just be a bit thick skin for a while + it might help when people see your work and appreciate it afterwards :D
Actually I find it even worse when going overseas. I don't dare to take my camera out in the streets of KL! :sweat:

why you dont dare to take out your camera...?

Do you guy take photo of the kid when their mother or father is around?

Wear a white wide-brimmed hat. Use a camera strap which says very clearly 'CANON' or 'NIKON'. Wear a sticker on your flower shirt: 'ABC Travels'. Gibber some Japanese/Russian sounding stuff when someone talks to you. Should be able to get away with almost anything.

ST1100 said:
Wear a white wide-brimmed hat. Use a camera strap which says very clearly 'CANON' or 'NIKON'. Wear a sticker on your flower shirt: 'ABC Travels'. Gibber some Japanese/Russian sounding stuff when someone talks to you. Should be able to get away with almost anything.

lol...you must be the one keep always doing that...nxt time i saw one guy doing that then i will know that YOU .... :bsmilie:

ST1100 said:

Wha, smart. But it's too elaborate a doll-up for a photoshoot right? HAHA. :p

Just shoot those people who stare at you ar.. Then very soon they won't stare :p Actually i also scared.. so many people stare when i take my camera out in public.. A70 somemore.. :bsmilie:

once i was shooting with my Yashica GSN and this young girl of 7 or 8 years of age asked me if she could look at the "back of the camera" to see the picture i just took of her. i told her this camera is probably as old as your dad, and they didn't have digital back then. she stared at me as if i grew a second head out of my neck.

boy did i feel "outdated" that afternoon... haha :bsmilie:

i like using old gear, some people stare, some ask questions about my cameras, just give them a smile and a brief history lesson... lol

OzOn3 said:
Just shoot those people who stare at you ar.. Then very soon they won't stare :p Actually i also scared.. so many people stare when i take my camera out in public.. A70 somemore.. :bsmilie:

yeah.the other time i went for the f1 powerboat race,i was like,wow! so many big guns around.i summon enough courage to take out my 602z and shoot but paiseh pple behind me stare.maybe too newbie liao,haven't get used to it.

louis said:
yeah.the other time i went for the f1 powerboat race,i was like,wow! so many big guns around.i summon enough courage to take out my 602z and shoot but paiseh pple behind me stare.maybe too newbie liao,haven't get used to it.

Lews, everyone take camera you take out then not paiseh wat :bsmilie: I'm sure no one will despise you, many great photos come from non-professional cameras. So normally those pros stare at me, I just give them the look telling them that they better dun let me 'heng heng' kena one power shot! hehehe........ :p kidding.

I was at this swimming meet sometime ago and my camera instantly looked like a toy when I saw a fellow CSer with his D60 with a 70-200 2.8 L IS with a converter. I wanted to hide in one corner but than the guy didn't give me the despise look! See, not everyone's a baddy. hehe.

Anyway back to topic. How bout situations when you're the ONLY one with camera? and then you see this nice little girl with such intense expressions whom you just have to capture but when you start to point your camera at her, her parents immediately give you the 'you phedophile!' look.

Or when you see this really cute lady who has the looks to melt hearts and you point your camera at her, her bf starts storming over, insisting that you are sammiboi or from JCgirls and threatens to end your life there and then! Or the lady immediately gives you the' PERVERT alarm!' stare or the 'you're so invading my privacy' look.

How? :dunno:

Is there some standard SOP? Streetshooting is fun, is this courage suppose to be built up over time? That its a norm to feel this way for the first time?

Think the only people who let me take their photos are the older generation. At least I get to capture their 'life' through their expressions without them staring at me or finding me weird....... Or are they just too tired to bother?

What if someone takes out a camera and tries to take a photo of you? or your gf? Will you feel awkward? and in return stare and make the photographer feel alienated? Will this vicious cycle ever end?

Am I talking too much? wakakakak :bsmilie:

HelmetBox said:
Lews, everyone take camera you take out then not paiseh wat :bsmilie: I'm sure no one will despise you, many great photos come from non-professional cameras. So normally those pros stare at me, I just give them the look telling them that they better dun let me 'heng heng' kena one power shot! hehehe........ :p kidding.

I was at this swimming meet sometime ago and my camera instantly looked like a toy when I saw a fellow CSer with his D60 with a 70-200 2.8 L IS with a converter. I wanted to hide in one corner but than the guy didn't give me the despise look! See, not everyone's a baddy. hehe.

Anyway back to topic. How bout situations when you're the ONLY one with camera? and then you see this nice little girl with such intense expressions whom you just have to capture but when you start to point your camera at her, her parents immediately give you the 'you phedophile!' look.

Or when you see this really cute lady who has the looks to melt hearts and you point your camera at her, her bf starts storming over, insisting that you are sammiboi or from JCgirls and threatens to end your life there and then! Or the lady immediately gives you the' PERVERT alarm!' stare or the 'you're so invading my privacy' look.

How? :dunno:

Is there some standard SOP? Streetshooting is fun, is this courage suppose to be built up over time? That its a norm to feel this way for the first time?

Think the only people who let me take their photos are the older generation. At least I get to capture their 'life' through their expressions without them staring at me or finding me weird....... Or are they just too tired to bother?

What if someone takes out a camera and tries to take a photo of you? or your gf? Will you feel awkward? and in return stare and make the photographer feel alienated? Will this vicious cycle ever end?

Am I talking too much? wakakakak :bsmilie:

haha long talk...i jus love to shoot kid when on the streets...
great if there is chiobu ...even there is one i aso dun dare to point my big SLR at her...

learn how to shoot without looking through the viewfinder - it's not a 100% hit thing, but it works. it's better for those folks who have a tilt out LCD panel...

sehsuan said:
learn how to shoot without looking through the viewfinder - it's not a 100% hit thing, but it works. it's better for those folks who have a tilt out LCD panel...

yeah...but i think my photo come out to be sh*t and shoot nth

for me if someone gonna take a pic of my gf,i will definitely ask her turn around or something as i dun wanna the pic to end up at some sggirls or similar sites but if it's for a good clause then alright.
just my opinion.
some pics here have also been leeched before so i dun think the copyright issue is of use.
The mother you talking bout,if i was there,i might explain to her my intention or at least try to signal(act pro) :bsmilie: to let her feel more at ease.

Kelvin^Newbie said:
yeah...but i think my photo come out to be sh*t and shoot nth

Eh, at least you have the eye focus! You can point away and focus to the corner of the viewfinder with ease without them knowing! Move eyeball only then focus follows! wakakaka!! Wonder why canon never include this feature nowadays huh?

louis said:
for me if someone gonna take a pic of my gf,i will definitely ask her turn around or something as i dun wanna the pic to end up at some sggirls or similar sites but if it's for a good clause then alright.
just my opinion.
some pics here have also been leeched before so i dun think the copyright issue is of use.
The mother you talking bout,if i was there,i might explain to her my intention or at least try to signal(act pro) :bsmilie: to let her feel more at ease.

TAKE OUT YOUR SLR and SHOOT HIM.... :bsmilie:

louis said:
just my opinion.

I tried to act pro once, but then gabra nearly fall!! wakakakaka! My face cannot act pro lah. Sad, maybe must quit photography liaoz! :bsmilie:

HelmetBox said:
Eh, at least you have the eye focus! You can point away and focus to the corner of the viewfinder with ease without them knowing! Move eyeball only then focus follows! wakakaka!! Wonder why canon never include this feature nowadays huh?

Hey dude....you are thinking too much :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.